Protect Your Zerks

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, just did a small mod that I figured some people would be interested in.....we've all had rusty zerk fittings, crap getting into them, etc. This is a cheap and easy little mod that takes literally seconds to install, so if you have balljoint zerks, control arms, whatever, I think it's worthwhile.

Buy a pack of these (buy however many you need)

http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1458...F8&qid=1415901352&sr=8-1&keywords=zerk+covers

Slip em over the zerks, and they form a tight seal around it, protecting it from dirt, water, salt, etc.

699C3AB9-0C89-46DF-99E0-27AA0C8471C5_zpszsfohuv9.jpg

They slip right on, no tools or anything required.

:beer:

TheDuff

Nice. They seem like a tight fit or would a zip tie be good insurance to keep them from falling off?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nice. They seem like a tight fit or would a zip tie be good insurance to keep them from falling off?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

x2. how tight are they? seems like a good investment for anyone

JKWrang

Seem like a tight fit like tge ones JKS tethers to their zerks on the quick disco

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Will they work on angled zerks?

Do you mean zerks sticking out at an angle (a straight zerk mounted on the side of a control arm) or a 45 degree zerk like this?

45-DEGREE-GRS-FTGS-2T.jpg

In both cases, I would say yes. Let me run out and take some pics....hang on....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok, ran to the garage...here are my findings....

To those that asked if they are nice and tight and if you need zipties....they are made to slip over the fat part of the zerk and latch onto the thin part of the zerk, so they are on there pretty damn good. When I installed mine onto my balljoints, the zerks still had a bit of grease on em (as you can see on the above photo) so they slid right on. I just tried it onto a dry zerk, and it took more force to slip them on, and to get them off, I held the zerk in some pliers and had to go all hulk mode to get em off....so I'd say put a drop of grease on the zerk before slipping these on to make removal easier. Having said that, they are on there nice and tight, no ziptie required.

Did some tests to answer Sharkey....

These are the zerks that I have (spares)

580BF014-53A4-4BBC-A6EC-00148686AEEB_zpsiusxwjal.jpg

This is the zerk cap from the bottom (it's made of rubber)....see that lip...that lip slips over the fat part of the zerk and sits snuggly on the skinny part, making a nice seal.

A86D9A9B-3BD4-45C8-8C2C-B57D42A2AEDD_zpsfescoaf7.jpg

Testing with a 45 degree zerk

A2DACCDA-C604-40F7-8DDD-74FBD54EAC78_zpslrncsxkl.jpg

Slipped the cap on

F500A040-1A0E-4ED8-BB34-8AB1773C4AE6_zps1y37aewh.jpg

They worked with all the zerks I tried, it's a universal fit.

Well worth the few bucks not to have to deal with clogged or rusty zerks.

Top Bottom