275/70r17 BFGoodrich TA KO2 on Stock 2014 Rubicon

mortuar

Hey guys! I'm going to be moving to the Pacific Northwest in about a month, so I opted to replace my stock Rubicon mud tires with a set of tires that are better suited for rainy, cold weather. From what I understand, these tires have only been out for a few weeks now (and in limited sizes), so I wanted to show you guys what the 275/70r17 look like on a stock (suspension/wheel wise) 2014 JKUR in Granite Crystal. Enjoy! :beer:

bfg_ta_ko2_frontleft.jpg
bfg_ta_ko2_rearleft.jpg
bfg_ta_ko2_reartire.jpg
bfg_ta_ko2_side.jpg
bfg_ta_ko2_side2.jpg

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Looks great! I can't wait for the 37x12.5 version to come out.

In case you mean seattle, it's really not all that rainy - mostly just gray.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speeddmn

love the color! I had the original style years ago and mostly rain/ice/snow weather. Got tons of miles out of them. Wouldn't be my first choice for mud, but they were a great tire. Hope the new style stays the same. Good luck on the move and the PNW has lots of great trails and places to see!

mortuar

Looks great! I can't wait for the 37x12.5 version to come out.

In case you mean seattle, it's really not all that rainy - mostly just gray.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! I did mean Seattle. :D

I have visited a few times... but with the way the stock mud tires on the Rubicon were acting in TX during wet weather (and having never lived where it snows!), I didn't want to mess with it in Seattle. I really wanted to test these new KO2's out as well before I go wild lifting and getting this Jeep set up properly. :D

mortuar

love the color! I had the original style years ago and mostly rain/ice/snow weather. Got tons of miles out of them. Wouldn't be my first choice for mud, but they were a great tire. Hope the new style stays the same. Good luck on the move and the PNW has lots of great trails and places to see!

Right on! I had a set of original 33x12.5 BFG TA/KO on my old 2008 Jeep - loved them. I'm hoping these hold up to the hype around them. :cool:

I'm definitely going to have to venture around in Washington. Can't wait. :D

ClarksAdventures

Congrats on the move. Seattle is great, but I'm bias to Portland(where is live). If you want a weekend of wheelin, just hit me up.

Nice tires! I've heard all sorts of good things about those.

I have a 2014 JKR. You had problems in wet weather with the original BFG's? I've loved my so far, and wish they made them in a bigger size.

mortuar

Congrats on the move. Seattle is great, but I'm bias to Portland(where is live). If you want a weekend of wheelin, just hit me up.

Nice tires! I've heard all sorts of good things about those.

I have a 2014 JKR. You had problems in wet weather with the original BFG's? I've loved my so far, and wish they made them in a bigger size.

Thanks! We're excited to be able to visit Portland - I think we may end up there one day from everything we've researched about the area. :rock:

I'll definitely need to get out on the trails... won't be able to do anything epic until I get a lift going - which will probably mean bigger shoes at that time as well.

I've had issues with the stock mud BFG's that come on the Rubicon on all three Rubicons I've owned (2012, 2013, 2014) in rainy weather. In San Antonio, TX, when it rains it pours - so maybe it was unique to my area... but man, they love to slip and slide around corners, some during take off, and around low speed turns. I don't drive crazy either. Just figured I'd be better off getting a winter rated tire before heading up there - better safe than sorry kind of thing for me. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've run BFG's for a long time and they are great in the snow, you may want to do a chalk test on them so you get a good tread pattern on the road.

You're right about BFG on really wet roads, every BFG KO I've owned has handled the same way on wet roads - they tend to slide a bit more (I really liked the Falken Wildpeak for rain but not snow).

I've found doing the chalk test and adjusting the pressure to get a good pattern makes them handle better in all road conditions

When I'm traveling long distance I air up 3 psi over to squeeze a little extra mileage and still have a decent pattern on the road.

ClarksAdventures

I'll have to look out for that then. It pretty much only mists here in the PNW, no crazy downpours. I'm just waiting for mine to wear out, and then a 3.5" lift and 35's will be coming my way.

Browns camp is really the only place I know to go around here. It would be fun to explore somewhere up in Washington though.

mortuar

I've run BFG's for a long time and they are great in the snow, you may want to do a chalk test on them so you get a good tread pattern on the road.

You're right about BFG on really wet roads, every BFG KO I've owned has handled the same way on wet roads - they tend to slide a bit more (I really liked the Falken Wildpeak for rain but not snow).

I've found doing the chalk test and adjusting the pressure to get a good pattern makes them handle better in all road conditions

When I'm traveling long distance I air up 3 psi over to squeeze a little extra mileage and still have a decent pattern on the road.

I'm definitely going to have to do the chalk test - they aired each tire up to a different PSI... so, yay! Haha. Thanks for the advice though!

mortuar

I'll have to look out for that then. It pretty much only mists here in the PNW, no crazy downpours. I'm just waiting for mine to wear out, and then a 3.5" lift and 35's will be coming my way.

Browns camp is really the only place I know to go around here. It would be fun to explore somewhere up in Washington though.

I'll take a look at Brown's Camp - and I'll post if I'm going to make a run in the Washington area. :D

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Good lookin tire. I've always like the BFG ATs and have ran several sets in different sizes. On a 4x4 that sees a lot of road I personally don't think you can go wrong with the BFG ATs.

mortuar

Good lookin tire. I've always like the BFG ATs and have ran several sets in different sizes. On a 4x4 that sees a lot of road I personally don't think you can go wrong with the BFG ATs.

I agree - I've loved every set of BFG ATs I've owned... really digging the style of the new KO2s as well. :rock:

PB617

Looks great :thumb: how are you liking them so far? I want to ditch my stock Rubicon tires also. We get a good amount of rain and snow up here in the northeast and need a winter rated tire. Plus i spend most of my time on pavement. I'm assuming the 275's don't rub? I want to get spacers regardless to push them out a bit, it'll look perfect.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Running the original BFG AT KOs in 275/70/17 on my 13 JKUR. I traded the new KMs for them off of my old 09 JKUR if that says anything. I run 285/75/16s on my truck and have ran them for about 20 years on all of my trucks. There may be better tires, but they are great all around tires. Be careful as they wear, rain performance does go down. Like any other tire.

Are the KO2 that different? I knew about them but haven't read about them.

PB617

Running the original BFG AT KOs in 275/70/17 on my 13 JKUR. I traded the new KMs for them off of my old 09 JKUR if that says anything. I run 285/75/16s on my truck and have ran them for about 20 years on all of my trucks. There may be better tires, but they are great all around tires. Be careful as they wear, rain performance does go down. Like any other tire.

Are the KO2 that different? I knew about them but haven't read about them.

Apparently, bfgoodrich really updated them from what i've been reading.

http://youtu.be/eH8mVYDdMZ8

rescue7

That looks awesome! Are you getting any rubbing issues since you are stock height? I.e. no lift or mods.

I can't wait to get a set of these!

Top Bottom