Another Re-gearing Thread...Help Me Out.

blask06

So I've spent quite a bit of time searching online and the forum. Seems to be a pretty even split on what people recommend. I am hoping to get some opinoins from some people with real life experience, so here it goes. I have 2011 Rubicon Unlimited, auto, w 35" tires (34.5") and the stock 4.10 gears. I'm also at 5200' - 6300' altitude if that matters and I have no intention of going to a larger tire size. I do a lot of highway diriving, about 70+ miles a day. I recently put on a supercharger and I can really notice that the gearing is off now. I've narrowed it down to 5.13 or 5.38 gears. Anybody have any input? Driving performance? MPG? Anything else? And yes, I've seen "the chart". Thanks.

So I've spent quite a bit of time searching online and the forum. Seems to be a pretty even split on what people recommend. I am hoping to get some opinoins from some people with real life experience, so here it goes. I have 2011 Rubicon Unlimited, auto, w 35" tires (34.5") and the stock 4.10 gears. I'm also at 5200' - 6300' altitude if that matters and I have no intention of going to a larger tire size. I do a lot of highway diriving, about 70+ miles a day. I recently put on a supercharger and I can really notice that the gearing is off now. I've narrowed it down to 5.13 or 5.38 gears. Anybody have any input? Driving performance? MPG? Anything else? And yes, I've seen "the chart". Thanks.

I have not regard but will re-gear to 4.88 for 35's or I may just jump up to 5.13 to run 37's.

Here is a thread that shows what gears goes with what tires you are going to run.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?16881-Gear-ratio-for-37s&highlight=gear+chart

R/
Will

Speeddmn

Thanks. Seems like in that thread the concensus is 5.13. I have the 3.8l though.

With the 3.8L and 35's and an auto and plans to go higher I would use 5.13's. The 5.38's as previously mentioned in numerous posts/topics are to small. Meaning the pinion (shaft/gear) is to small in diameter to handle the stress of the tires/power (since you mentioned a supercharger) and use off road. Also as you are in Colorado the 35's, even with added power, will struggle when headed thru the mountains.

The 5.13's will also allow you to run a 37 inch tire in the future if your plans ever change. Better to re-gear once then twice.

blask06

Yeah, I've read that about the 5.38s. You know of anyone that has actually had the 5.38s actually fail though?

With the 3.8L and 35's and an auto and plans to go higher I would use 5.13's. The 5.38's as previously mentioned in numerous posts/topics are to small. Meaning the pinion (shaft/gear) is to small in diameter to handle the stress of the tires/power (since you mentioned a supercharger) and use off road. Also as you are in Colorado the 35's, even with added power, will struggle when headed thru the mountains.

The 5.13's will also allow you to run a 37 inch tire in the future if your plans ever change. Better to re-gear once then twice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
from a man running 5.13's and 35's I would say go that route. I love the performance out of them. mpg is the same as what I was seeing with 3.73 gears and 35's (13 city and 17 highway). plenty of power thru the hills of PA.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
from a man running 5.13's and 35's I would say go that route. I love the performance out of them. mpg is the same as what I was seeing with 3.73 gears and 35's (13 city and 17 highway). plenty of power thru the hills of PA.

5.13's in a D30? Your axles haven't imploded yet? :shock:

Brankz

Can you run 4.88s with 37s?
In another thread lots of people say no to run 5.13s on a Dana 30 correct?

Last edited:
Can you run 4.88s with 37s?
I another thread lots of people say no to run 5.13s on a Dana 30 correct?

With a Dana 30 you really shouldn't go over 4.88 because the pinion gear will be really small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

blask06

So anymore input on this?

hbkid22

So anymore input on this?

From what I have read and understood don't go above 5.13 unless you plan to put in a PR60. Otherwise the pinion gets to small. But if you don't plan to get a 60 or go to 37s I would stick to 5.13s especially since you have a rubicon.

I have a manual sport, and will get a 44 down the road with 37s but stick to 5.13s and I live in CO at the elevation.

blask06

Sounds like 5.13s are the way to go. Anyone know of any good shops around northern Colorado. Don't think I'm going to DIY this one.

hbkid22

Sounds like 5.13s are the way to go. Anyone know of any good shops around northern Colorado. Don't think I'm going to DIY this one.

Where in CO? And I would say go to Northridge 4x4 in Longmont otherwIse there are plenty of other shops in boulder and golden.

Big D

Trail Jeeps in Golden will do it for $1000, while I got quotes of around $1500 from everywhere else I checked. I am going to go to 5.13 in my '12 manual very soon, then go one more size up on tires, from 35 to 37. Really looking forward to 5.13 instead of 3.73! Also, I am in Broomfield and have a bunch of great guys I wheel with here, so if you'd ever like to join us...

Top Bottom