DIY rock rails

MarkW13

I saw a kit that uses the stock Rubi rails as a base with additional tubing added to make what looks like a decent rocker guard.

Do you guys think the Rubi rail will hold up?

I'm pretty handy with a welder and this looked like a simple/cheap way to add protection. I have no intention of buying this kit. Only using it as a concept for fabrication.

FYI. This is from synergy. Just to give credit to the source.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I wouldn't do it. I am not a fan of body mounted rock rails. I ran rubi rails for about a year and they tweaked my body panels. Not really noticeable but not something would recommend or spend money on.

t8er

I looked into that kit as well. the recommendations I got were to get Rubi X take off rails or get a complete rock rail replacement.

MarkW13

The Rubicon x rails look like they attach the same as the other Rubi rails.

t8er

The Rubi X rails attach the same they just have the tube that can double as a step and push stuff away. Aftermarket options are probably stronger but as soon as a local dealer by me has a takeoff set for $100 they are mine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockyJk

X2 what Overlander said on my old 2 door the passenger side rubi rail was pushed into the body aswell wish I would of gotten a pic of it

KingCopperhead

One trip off road and my rubi rails were pushed up into against the tub. Get some frame mounted sliders like evo or lod and call it a day. You won't be sorry.

JKWrang

Yup. Took me 1 trip to see body damage with body mounted rubi sliders. Oh well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MarkW13

Thanks for all of the insight. My yj has frame mounted rails. I'll stick with something similar.

Top Bottom