little puddle of Light yellow fluid on the ground, what is it? Diff. oil??

MallCrawlerLin

Hello all
I see a little puddle of light yellow fluid on the driver front side ground last weekend. The puddle of oil is pretty much right next to the wheel. And The colour is light yellow a bit like corn oil we use in kitchen. Attached are few photos I taken from the suspension area. I have ask around and it seems to be diff. oil is leaking, or brake fluid, or maybe the shock fluid. I have not feel the JK lost damping at this point... IMG_20141110_200906.jpg IMG_20141110_201013.jpg IMG_20141111_181322.jpg IMG_20141111_181349.jpg

Please help out to see if it is actually the axle seal near the universal joint is leaking. If it is, usually how much time it will take to get the seal replace?
Oh, right, other area might look a bit grease as well because I have some rust inhibitor spray on the under carriage. But the driver side suspension assembly is usually greasy.
As I planing to do more and more maintenance on my own, is there any source I can get my hand on a copy of maintenance manual?

MallCrawlerLin

Looks like diff fluid and looks like it's been leaking for a while!

Oh hi, that was quick. Thank you for the reply. Yes, the first sighting of the yellow fluid was February this year on the snow when the weather change form very cold to not so cold. But I could not locate the source and it stop leaking, so I did not bother to look further. And now the weather change form warm to cold, and the problem resurface and I have a long winter ahead makes me concern. I figure might be good ideal to get it fix before drag into December.
That is great help. :)

MarkW13

Pressure wash the under carriage to clean up the area. The leak may be more visible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MallCrawlerLin

You sure it's not leaking out of the overflow tube?

Ah thanks,
Outflow tube? Which system? Transfer case? I did have the transfer case fluid replace a couple months back. Do you mind let me know where the outflow tube is so I can take a look at it? Thanks.

MallCrawlerLin

Pressure wash the under carriage to clean up the area. The leak may be more visible.

Good thought, I get similar advised from my buddy. I hope the weekend weather will allow me to do that. It is minus 5 Celsius outside, not a friendly temperature.
Thanks

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ah thanks,
Outflow tube? Which system? Transfer case? I did have the transfer case fluid replace a couple months back. Do you mind let me know where the outflow tube is so I can take a look at it? Thanks.

Differential. That tube attached to your frame right behind the shock. If the diff is overfilled it will come out the top of that tube and cover the driver's side suspension in a sticky/greasy mess.

avi8or

You will know if it is gear lube...it has a distinct smell that is putrid. The smell may dissipate after being out in the air for a while. Get up close and take a good whiff.

MallCrawlerLin

You will know if it is gear lube...it has a distinct smell that is putrid. The smell may dissipate after being out in the air for a while. Get up close and take a good whiff.
Thanks, I did not smell nothing. But it could be the cool air numb my sense of smell. My nose is not working very well, in the cold. But the puddle of fluid does have putrid smell when I found it in my garage the night after I switching my tires.

MallCrawlerLin

Check your washer fluid. I had the grommet on the bottom of the reservoir leak when it got real cold.

My buddy have this problem, but I do not think I have. My windshield fluid is blue or dark blue. The one come with the Jeep has been empty during my road trip last Christmas.:D

MallCrawlerLin

Differential. That tube attached to your frame right behind the shock. If the diff is overfilled it will come out the top of that tube and cover the driver's side suspension in a sticky/greasy mess.

found it, that thing is greasy like hell. But when I pop the hood and see from the top section where being covered by the damper bracket, it appears to be bone dry... but I still hope its over filled like you say. But I will not know until a mechanic check it in a garage. It is not that I want them to touch my vehicle, it is just they have better tool than I do...:sigh:
IMG_20141117_200008M.jpg

MallCrawlerLin

Hi Thanks fort he suggestion, but it is getting cold here, I do not think pressure washer is able to blast much grease off. I end up spray some brake cleaner. Well, I guess it is a bit too cool to get that dissolve all the grease. Funny thing is, one it get cold enough, there is not more fluid coming out. It only happened when the temperature is drastic change..
IMG_20141117_173905.jpg

Driven for 16 kilometer (10 miles), seems to getting wet, but really hard to tell if there is more diff. fluid or not. It is snow a bit and the city start putting salt on the road.
IMG_20141117_211225.jpg

But thanks alot anyway.:)

Top Bottom