2017 Wrangler

rescue7

I'm just curious to how many members are holding out for a 2017 wrangler? There doesn't seem to be much info floating around, so it's hard to gauge. My brother works for Chrysler, and he doesn't have much info either.

Both of our concerns are reliability, as Fiat is taking a very strong hold of what's left of Chrysler. He's seeing lots of problems with the new 200, and Cherokee, which are highly Fiat based.

Furthermore, I'm worried about how "rugged" the next platform will be. I like old school raw interiors. Things like the old LR Defenders, and the 2007-2010 JK. It may sound stupid, but that rawness is what always drew me to Jeeps. The new JK interior for me is so fancy if we want to call it that. But, in a Jeep point of view, it's fancy.

Anyhow, I was just curious to who plans on keeping their JK, or is looking to upgrade, or even waiting to buy a Jeep until the new model is out.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers and enjoitheride.

I will keep my 2013 for a very long time. I just don't think they will be made as good as they once were. With the talk of going away from straight axle I'm not sure if anyone that wants to use there jeeps on the rocks will ever buy a new one again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bacon

I'm really hoping they put a diesel in the JK for at least one model year. Kinda like it's swan song. That is the only thing I'm holding out for.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

rescue7

I'm really hoping they put a diesel in the JK for at least one model year. Kinda like it's swan song. That is the only thing I'm holding out for.

Diesel would be awesome, but it will be a 5k option more than likely. That's the cost for it on the Grand Cherokee.

ClarksAdventures

I ordered my 2014 JKR because I had heard so many rumors about how Fiat is changing the brand.

I know what you mean. I bought a jeep, because I wanted a JEEP! Not some urbanized interpretation of a jeep.

Only time will tell, but I bet I'll be holding onto my 2014. Should we start taking bets on what will happen to the 2017?

I've heard
-loss of solid axles
-no removable top
-no removable doors
-and no flip down windshield.

spicoli

It would be nice if they released a diesel, but I think that if they do it will be pricey and most likely not the 3.0L that is in the Ram and Grand Cherokee. I think it would be a smaller displacement unit like what is available in the rest of the world.

I would also expect a style that is more rounded and less boxy. I expect to not like the looks of the new marque as much as the current. Personally I love the look of TJs and JKs.

rescue7

They will be working towards better fuel economy for sure. So, I'm guessing the aluminum rumor will play out in some way. I just don't like where Fiat is taking the Chrysler brand. It's sad, as the Jeep was the last of true off-road style vehicles. The FJ60 land cruiser is old, and a nice one is a fortune. The Defender was never really legal. FJ Cruiser is now gone. Now the Jeep brand is being changed. It's a shame...

I understand that innovation is progressing, but there are ways to make improvements without ruining an icon.

spicoli

Our type of users and purchasers are a small percentage of total buyers of the vehicle. I think Jeep has a better percentage of our type of customer than other brands like FJ and Xterra which helps it stay rugged and from what I have seen also sells it to people who are not offroad driven with their purchase.

MrHooah04

Our type of users and purchasers are a small percentage of total buyers of the vehicle. I think Jeep has a better percentage of our type of customer than other brands like FJ and Xterra which helps it stay rugged and from what I have seen also sells it to people who are not offroad driven with their purchase.

I don't think it's true that we're such a small percentage..small we are but I'd say we make up 25% of total sales. That 25% can be pretty influential.

I'm holding out with my 07 until I see the 17..if it's been botched I'll grab a slightly used 16 or pick whatever's left on the lot.

Bacon

I don't think it's true that we're such a small percentage..small we are but I'd say we make up 25% of total sales. That 25% can be pretty influential.

I'm holding out with my 07 until I see the 17..if it's been botched I'll grab a slightly used 16 or pick whatever's left on the lot.

Sure, but 75% is MUCH more influential...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure I'm the odd man out here but I hope they really change up the new Wrangler, I hope it's even more creature comfortable and if I had anything to do with it, I'd make it IFS. I would even make it IRS but, I don't think that's in the cards this time around. As far as "rawness" goes, the 2007-10 JK is in my opinion a luxury SUV when compared to the old CJ7 I used to have or the J2000 that I still have and I really wished it was half as nice as my 2012. The simple fact of the matter is, the more Jeep can make the Wrangler appeal to the masses, the more sales they will have and the more we can be guaranteed aftermarket manufacturers will still make products for it. Change NEEDS to happen or else federal laws will make it so that a Wrangler can't be made. As soon as I can order a 2017, I will. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've been in this industry for a long time now and can assure you that 25% is wishful thinking. People who build up their Jeeps to actually wheel them make up less than 5% of Wrangler owners and true hardcore wheelers make up less than 1% of the market. This was even documented by Off Road Business magazine which is a journal intended for the industry. Granted, 5% of 1,000,000 is still a lot but, far from enough for FCA to focus their efforts on us especially when the feds are pressing them on things like CAFE standards. A lot of the way our Wranglers have been evolving is in large part due to meeting federal regulations more than anything. Of course, making a vehicle that will sell better also helps to pay for the changed needed to keep it alive.

spicoli

I'm sure I'm the odd man out here but I hope they really change up the new Wrangler, I hope it's even more creature comfortable and if I had anything to do with it, I'd make it IFS. I would even make it IRS but, I don't think that's in the cards this time around. As far as "rawness" goes, the 2007-10 JK is in my opinion a luxury SUV when compared to the old CJ7 I used to have or the J2000 that I still have and I really wished it was half as nice as my 2012. The simple fact of the matter is, the more Jeep can make the Wrangler appeal to the masses, the more sales they will have and the more we can be guaranteed aftermarket manufacturers will still make products for it. Change NEEDS to happen or else federal laws will make it so that a Wrangler can't be made. As soon as I can order a 2017, I will. :yup:

I would love to see a high quality IFS/IRS too. But if they do what Xterra did and cheap out the IFS it would be a sad day. I had a current generation Xterra, great vehicle, but the lack of flex really hurt it on rockier trails. A lot of the Xterra guys were doing solid axle swaps with the Titan.

JK even from the TJ is quite a luxurious upgrade, esp since 2011 when they came up with the nicer interior.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would love to see a high quality IFS/IRS too. But if they do what Xterra did and cheap out the IFS it would be a sad day. I had a current generation Xterra, great vehicle, but the lack of flex really hurt it on rockier trails. A lot of the Xterra guys were doing solid axle swaps with the Titan.

JK even from the TJ is quite a luxurious upgrade, esp since 2011 when they came up with the nicer interior.

No stock IFS/IRS will be able to handle what we want to throw at it. Just like the stock Dana 30 can't handle what we want to do with it. But that is why there are manufacturers out there that build what we want.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

But see, that's just the thing. For me, I'm running ProRocks under my JK's now and already assume that I would either A.) upgrade the factory IFS with an aftermarket setup hopefully designed by Dynatrac or B.) just do a solid axle swap with a ProRock. I really couldn't care less about the factory IFS especially being that for my purposes, I would replace it anyway.

What I can tell you is this, in an apples to apples comparison, the new Wrangler stock will out perform the existing JK Wrangler stock. If I were a betting man, I would say that there will be two version of the new Wrangler - one with a full body that has an un-removable hard top, windshield that doesn't fold down and with IFS (Probably a Sahara/Sport package). This is the best way to cut down on weight and get the MPG that Chrysler NEEDS with the Wrangler. The second version will most likely be a Rubicon that comes with a solid front axle and removable top and if I really go out on a limb - maybe something that is only available in a 2-door. Again, this is the best way to come in under weight and satisfy the feds. We know for a fact that the new Wrangler will have an aluminum body on a frame and this crazy idea of mine is totally plausible. In fact, if it were me running the show, it's what I would do.

Doreion

I don't worry that the new Wrangler will be less capable than the JK in stock form. Jeep needs the tough rugged model as the base for the brand image, any step backwards would be a hit to the image every other model they make.
What I do worry about is the 2017 will be difficult/ impossible to lift/modify, like the new Cherokee.

Just give me a 2016 rubicon with a diesel as a last hurrah.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't worry that the new Wrangler will be less capable than the JK in stock form. Jeep needs the tough rugged model as the base for the brand image, any step backwards would be a hit to the image every other model they make.
What I do worry about is the 2017 will be difficult/ impossible to lift/modify, like the new Cherokee.

Just give me a 2016 rubicon with a diesel as a last hurrah.

Nothing is impossible - not even on the new Cherokee. The real question is how much will it cost to do? The real problem with the Cherokee is that there's no aftermarket support for it and so modifying it would be cost prohibitive. I have little doubt that the new Wrangler will still have strong aftermarket support and so it will be somewhat more affordable. Still, compared to the TJ before, even the JK costs more to modify. I have no doubts the same will be true with the new Wrangler - it's just the nature of the beast.

foley0416

Nothing is impossible - not even on the new Cherokee. The real question is how much will it cost to do? The real problem with the Cherokee is that there's no aftermarket support for it and so modifying it would be cost prohibitive. I have little doubt that the new Wrangler will still have strong aftermarket support and so it will be somewhat more affordable. Still, compared to the TJ before, even the JK costs more to modify. I have no doubts the same will be true with the new Wrangler - it's just the nature of the beast.

So what you're saying is the parts will become more affordable for my jk when the new one comes out. If only I could wait that long. I'd be interested in a diesel, but not much else. Then again I wasn't into the jk when it first came out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom