PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon Trip in May

t8er
11-14-2014, 05:01 AM
So I'm currently looking at doing a trip to do the Rubicon Trail in May or June worst case scenario. By that point I will have had my jeep for a year. I'm waiting to find out if my Dad and Brother in Law think they can make the trip. If they can are there a couple of guys on here that wouldn't mind running it with me. I've never done it so having someone experienced would definitely help. Thank you in advance.

spicoli
11-14-2014, 05:08 AM
I haven't done it before but wanted to do it this summer. I'm an experienced off-roader, but that early in the summer i will not have a winch yet. If you want company let me know.

From my understanding there are easier and harder sections you can do. Jeep takes stock vehicle through it without causing damage (the whole trail rated badge).

t8er
11-14-2014, 05:13 AM
I definitely want to do some harder sections. I have a winch, bumpers, 35's and it's a JKUR so I can handle some of the crazier sections. Don't think I'd take every line if I were following Eddie or Mel. I'm not at that level.

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 05:16 AM
I would be interested. I am in Colorado as well.

MTG
11-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Whether you will be able to run it that early will depend on how much snow we get in the Sierra's this winter.

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Whether you will be able to run it that early will depend on how much snow we get in the Sierra's this winter.

Does it get that much snow?

spicoli
11-14-2014, 05:24 AM
I definitely want to do some harder sections. I have a winch, bumpers, 35's and it's a JKUR so I can handle some of the crazier sections. Don't think I'd take every line if I were following Eddie or Mel. I'm not at that level.

I agree. I like to push myself, but I know there are sections I don't want to try. I haven't taken delivery of my new jeep yet but will have 35s, air compressor and recovery gear.

t8er
11-14-2014, 05:24 AM
I was hoping it would be clear by May for the most part. I'llhave to watch the snowfall then

MarkW13
11-14-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm planning a trip with two other guys around that time. Shooting for june. Rubicon, barrett lake, strawberry pass, part of deer valley, slick rock and corral hollow. 6 days. I'll let you know as planning progresses. May is probably a bit early, as previously stated it depends on the snow fall. I ran the rubicon last year in my yj. Hope the jkur is ready.

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 05:32 AM
Shoot I will run it with 35s on a D30 and if it doesn't break great otherwise it will give me a reason to get a PR44. Only sorta kidding.

But really would be interested in this trip. Was thinking of EJS but would consider waiting for this trip instead.

t8er
11-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Hbkid im also planning on doing ejs if time and $$$ allow. I'm probably going to camp and know a pretty sweet spot that should be open. I'll let you know. Mark definitely keep me informed and spicoli come out of you think it's ready.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

t8er
11-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Also hbkid I have a buddy who runs 35's on his Dana 30. He's got 3.21 gears and a locker. Only thing he's done is sleeve and gusset the C's. He'll push it pretty hard but he does know at some point it's PR44 time

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Also hbkid I have a buddy who runs 35's on his Dana 30. He's got 3.21 gears and a locker. Only thing he's done is sleeve and gusset the C's. He'll push it pretty hard but he does know at some point it's PR44 time

I still am running 3.21s but will get gussets by then if I have not upgraded. And if you run EJS you driving out?

2013rubirick
11-14-2014, 05:50 AM
May is definitely early for the Rubicon if we get a bad winter. There is bypasses on alot of it but can still be rough on all rigs. There is differently a big chance of body damage for everyone. When jeep takes other jeep models though the Rubicon they do not look the same when they get to the other side if they even make it. A lot of the trail rated badges come from moab not the Rubicon. Trust me the Rubicon is not an easy trail even to the most built rigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 05:57 AM
May is definitely early for the Rubicon if we get a bad winter. There is bypasses on alot of it but can still be rough on all rigs. There is differently a big chance of body damage for everyone. When jeep takes other jeep models though the Rubicon they do not look the same when they get to the other side if they even make it. A lot of the trail rated badges come from moab not the Rubicon. Trust me the Rubicon is not an easy trail even to the most built rigs.

Good points but isn't one of the rules no whinning? We all have a jeep and if we expect to wheel it and take it on trails such as Rubicon shouldn't you expect damage? 😜

2013rubirick
11-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Good points but isn't one of the rules no whinning? We all have a jeep and if we expect to wheel it and take it on trails such as Rubicon shouldn't you expect damage? 😜

I've ran it with and without snow. and yes I don't care about damage and if your gonna play hard you will either break something or get damage. Comes with the fun.

FastZach
11-14-2014, 02:31 PM
We are for sure going to run it in early July so we can beat the bad weather/snow..

t8er
11-14-2014, 02:48 PM
I still am running 3.21s but will get gussets by then if I have not upgraded. And if you run EJS you driving out?

For EJS I'll drive out. It's only 5.5 hours for me.

hbkid22
11-14-2014, 06:05 PM
For EJS I'll drive out. It's only 5.5 hours for me.

I should have said drive or trailer? But sounds like your driving anyways. Would be fun to get a group of from Colorado to drive out.

t8er
11-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Look me up on facebook. I created an event there. Keith Smalley is my name.

MarkW13
11-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Honestly, the Rubicon isn't that bad. There are a few bypasses in the tougher areas and some recent blasting has made it much less difficult. Can you get damage? Sure. Drove right through with no major issues on a yj locked with 35's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

crippledpetey
11-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Honestly, the Rubicon isn't that bad. There are a few bypasses in the tougher areas and some recent blasting has made it much less difficult. Can you get damage? Sure. Drove right through with no major issues on a yj locked with 35's.

I would agree and disagree with that statement. Is it possible to walk through it on 35's, yep. Is it possible to have issues on 35's, yep.

I like to say the rubicon trail is a "choose your own adventure" trail. I've taken rigs on 31's with no winch and a rear locker through...but the trail can still jump out and get you even on 37's or bigger if you're not ready.

I would never "overlook" the trail no matter what your rig is set up like.

MarkW13
11-15-2014, 03:17 AM
For the record. I bring an auto parts store with me. Better to be prepared.

Slavens
12-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Hey Guys!

So i was reading through your thread sounds like a few chimed in with different trips going but different dates. I am out here in So Cal and have some Vacation time to use so i was thinking i could jump in on one of these runs if allowed. T8er do you have a date set in stone yet? is this still a go? Would love to get more info on this and start planning now. Thanks!

t8er
12-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Hey Guys!

So i was reading through your thread sounds like a few chimed in with different trips going but different dates. I am out here in So Cal and have some Vacation time to use so i was thinking i could jump in on one of these runs if allowed. T8er do you have a date set in stone yet? is this still a go? Would love to get more info on this and start planning now. Thanks!

As of right now there's not a date set in stone since I'm having to look for a job. Once I know which job it'll be easier to nail down a date.

Yuriy
12-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Me and my friend are planning on going to Rubicon trail on May 23. Should be fun. I have never been there before, would be awesome to run with some folks from the forum!

Slavens
12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
As of right now there's not a date set in stone since I'm having to look for a job. Once I know which job it'll be easier to nail down a date.

10/4 .. i'll follow along and see what date you set but def interested.

Webe
01-29-2015, 12:57 AM
Me and my friend are planning on going to Rubicon trail on May 23. Should be fun. I have never been there before, would be awesome to run with some folks from the forum!

My wife and I did it close to that time last year. First timers and by ourselves. We had a blast. Not much snow either. I do think end of May and June are the better times as it won't be so hot out. But then we are from Montana and 65 degs is nice.

kyleolson
01-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Let me know if you are looking for someone to run it with you. I usually run it a few times a year... I know the trail pretty well.

GreenMonster
01-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Subscribed!! Interested in going to, depending on which dates you guys set on.

MarkW13
05-20-2015, 10:36 PM
So here are my dates. June 11,12,13. Anyone is welcome to tag along.