control arm joints and mud

BumpStick

I know that rubber or polyurethane control arm joints would be the best for holding up to mud but they don't flex well.

What joints would be good, Jonny joint, rock krawler joints? Who had personal experience?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Joints are proven and are used by professionals. They are what I would recommend.

BumpStick

I know they are but wouldn't all the mud tear then up causing me to have to rebuild them often?

I have heard the the Rock Krawler joints hold up better to that.

The JJ is prob still the best joint on the market. I can say the tolerances are very tight. Sometimes so tight when new, the joint won't take grease.

The older gen RK joints were horrible. I don't have personal experience but their new pro joints are getting good reviews.

I did run TF's and never again unless they revise their joint to last longer. I'm not a fan of MC joints either. Even though many seem to like them.

IMO .. The JJ or new RK joints.

Last edited:

BumpStick

From things I have read is thinking of the new RK, but it wasn't anyone talking about personal experience with them.

My I suggest looking at joints that are field tested not only by recreational off roaders but those in professional off road racing. For instance look at what joint is used by the drivers who compete in events like The King of Hammers, Vegas to Reno Off Road Race, The Baja 1000 etc and see which joints they are running along with what suspension components.

EVO Manufacturing has two Jeeps, EVO TJ and EVO 1, and one UTV that compete in various off road events every year. The really cool part about watching the EVO built rigs is these are the same components that you and I can purchase off the shelf and put on our Jeeps. Just a thought.

As for joint rebuilding, depending on the soil composition and after trail maintenance will determine how often the joints will need to be rebuilt. If your soil has a high silicate (sand) ratio and if you do not clean your Jeep thoroughly you will have issues no matter what joint you use.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know they are but wouldn't all the mud tear then up causing me to have to rebuild them often?

I have heard the the Rock Krawler joints hold up better to that.

Ummm, the mud would have to get into the joint in order to tear them up and that shouldn't happen unless your joints are totally worn out and in need of rebuilding. Of course, I've been running the same Johnny Joints on my 2007 JK for over 4 years and 80,000 miles and they are still good. I should also note that I run EVO DTD coil overs that offer 14" of vertical travel so they get used. I see that you're down in Florida, exactly how much flex are you feeling you need? With the exception of adjustable front lower arms, piginajeep here on the forum runs bolt on coil overs that offer up to 12" of vertical travel with factory arms (rubber joints) and he can easily out flex most lift kits out there. While joints can bind at an extreme flex and by virtue of it, limit your flex, I have a really hard time imagining that this would be a problem for you or, at least, not on a regular basis. In other words, if I were you, I would just stick with as many factory arms as I could. It'll save you a lot of money and provide you with the performance you need.

Top Bottom