Plush ride coil questions/comments

dirtlimo

I am very close to pulling the trigger on some EVO plush coils and I wanted to ask a few questions from people far more knowledgable than I.
I am currently running an AEV 4.5 kit and shes way to firm off road for me, on road shes good until the speed bump or pot hole surfaces.
It seems that reading this forum the plush coils would help "soften" things up for me, which is what I am looking for.
In addition I would like to add a set of King shocks with adjusters if the coil fix is not the answer. To be honest I might do that anyway down the road.
Would the coils be a direct swap or would I need to purchase/change something else to make this work?
If I went with Kings down the road, do I need to look out for any changes? or would those be a direct swap as well?
I am looking to have more of a pre-runnerish/overlanding type Jeep, hence the AEV kit purchase....which for me it is not.:doh:

And if anybody has experience with this swap I would love to hear from you.

Thank you!:beer:

I was running the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and it was super stiff for me. I am
Now running the 3 inch Plush rides with the Rancho RS9000 XL. The only thing I replaced besides brake lines was the rear track bar relocation bracket.

Bacon

Are you running Bilsteins with your AEV coils? They are a very stiff shock.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

dirtlimo

I have not used the King shocks but I do have the Rancho RS9000 XL adjustable shocks and love the ability to adjust the ride as needed. Something to think about.

R/
Will

Appreciate it, but still trying to figure out if the coils are right for me.:beer:

computeruser6

I ran Teraflex 4" lift coils for a while. They're very stiff and I decided to go to 3" Evo Plush Ride coils. I'm currently using Fox 2.0 shocks. The ride is just nice now, changing coils should more of an effect than swapping shocks. I didn't change any parts out aside from the coils. I also never thought pre-running and overlanding went together.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I ran Teraflex 4" lift coils for a while. They're very stiff and I decided to go to 3" Evo Plush Ride coils. I'm currently using Fox 2.0 shocks. The ride is just nice now, changing coils should more of an effect than swapping shocks. I didn't change any parts out aside from the coils. I also never thought pre-running and overlanding went together.

Oh it does... its called Over-running. Instead of floppy hats you wear motor cross helmets. :D

Loading please wait....

dirtlimo

In my defense I did state "pre-runnerish" meaning being to take trails at more than say 3MPH if I wanted to. Another question, if the DTD is the pinnacle would the EVO bolt on coilover setup be basically one step down?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
In my defense I did state "pre-runnerish" meaning being to take trails at more than say 3MPH if I wanted to. Another question, if the DTD is the pinnacle would the EVO bolt on coilover setup be basically one step down?

Lol I was only poking fun. Build your jeep how ever you want and make sure to post up plenty of pics from your adventures! :thumbup::beer:

Edit: Do keep in mind that going fast through the whoops and bumps of a trail is the fastest way to bend your axle.

Loading please wait....

Last edited:
Before swapping the shocks from the ES9000 to the RS9000XL I did not realize how much shocks play into ride. It was not until the shocks were swapped out did I realize just how comfortable the Plush Rides are.

Yes the bot on coilers is one step below the DTD. If you are planning to do the DTD down the road I would suggest two options. One get a lift that will allow you what you want to do now and then save for the DTD. Two is get the bolt on coilovers, that you will be able to sell later on, and save for the DTD. Another option is to get the King Shocks with remote reservoir. Having the remote reservoir allows for a faster paces on rough terrain. The reservoir allows for more dampening of the shock.

If you have not already seen bolt on coilovers in action check out the 2013 JKX. There you will see several Jeeps with EVO Bolt on coilovers. There are two Dozer colored JK's, Rubicat and piginajeep's that are running the bolt on coilovers.

The DTD is designed for those who want to blast through the desert at an insanely fast speed. You can see the DTD in action with EVO 1's shake down before the 2013 King of Hammers.

<br>

R/
Will

dirtlimo

Appreciate the knowledge guys :beer:

I think the DTD is one hell of a setup, but not something I "need". Want yes, need no.

Just looking for something that will perform a little softer off-road. I did White Rim in Canyonlands and the speed limit in the park is 10MPH, 80% of the time I couldn't go that "fast". I swear I wanted to drive the Jeep off a cliff just to make it stop. When I asked 2 different AEV employees about it I got 2 different answers. I get I may be heavier than some JK's out there, but at least give me one concrete resolution as to what I can do about it.

So here I am looking for another path to quell this issue.

dirtlimo

Lol I was only poking fun. Build your jeep how ever you want and make sure to post up plenty of pics from your adventures! :thumbup::beer:

Edit: Do keep in mind that going fast through the whoops and bumps of a trail is the fastest way to bend your axle.

Loading please wait....

I figured man, its all good. And are you saying I need PR80's now? :rock:

T&ERun

LOSER
I was running TF 4" with Bilstein 5100s. Switched to EVO 4" plush rides. It smoothed it up some, but still too rough for me around town (offroad I don't really care because airing down takes care of all the small bumps). I'm now looking at getting new shocks. I'm looking at King 2.0. EVO told me not to get adjusters as they will actually be a little rougher than the ones without (basically saying the 2.0 rides softer than the ones with compression adjusters set to the softest setting).

dirtlimo

I was running TF 4" with Bilstein 5100s. Switched to EVO 4" plush rides. It smoothed it up some, but still too rough for me around town (offroad I don't really care because airing down takes care of all the small bumps). I'm now looking at getting new shocks. I'm looking at King 2.0. EVO told me not to get adjusters as they will actually be a little rougher than the ones without (basically saying the 2.0 rides softer than the ones with compression adjusters set to the softest setting).

Thanks for the information, I would have not thought that. But EVO should know. :beer:

JKUx

I ran TF budget kit at first to get tire size I wanted, I'm currently running 3inch plush rides with Bilstein 5100s and the ride is great on and off-road especially highway, do coils first and see how it feels as ride comfort is subjective. Hope it helps!✌️

dirtlimo

The more I think about this the more I think I want to go with coilovers. Just seems to be to much guess work going the shock/spring route.
I do want to thank you all for the information!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
The more I think about this the more I think I want to go with coilovers. Just seems to be to much guess work going the shock/spring route.
I do want to thank you all for the information!

I am running the plush coils and the King 2.5" spec. adjustable shocks on all 4 corners. I have to say that having the adjustable shocks has been very advantageous many times while Jeeping.

The only advice I can offer from my personal experience is the combination of shock and coil provides a very nice ride. I use my Jeep as my daily driver and it rides better than stock in my opinion. It also rides better then most if not all of the other Jeeps I have been in, but of course I'm biased. I can take speed bumps at 10mph with only a slight bump. Same for speed-humps, if the sign says 10mph I can take it at 20-30mph with no issues. While I don't make a habit of it I have done it enough to know what my shocks and springs can handle at different settings.

Real world example, I was running Weston Pass this year in CO and had to make an adjustment. Weston Pass is just a dirt road on the East side and the West side gets a little rockier. So we didn't air down for some reason and at the point I felt I couldn't take the washboards beating me down any further, I stopped just long enough to crank down my shocks and man what a difference! It was still a little rough but that sure took the edge off. My buddy who was in the passenger seat and is not a Jeeper couldn't believe the difference just a few clicks on the shocks could make.

At one point after installing my coils and shocks I had some track bar issues on the front. The track-bar had loosened and I blew the bushing out in the frame side end. It caused the front to be really bouncy. I was able to tweak the shocks and keep the front from bouncing until I repaired the issue with the track-bar.

Honestly I think the coils + the adjustable shocks + tire/air pressure (I run 28psi) for my set up is what determines my ride quality. But I can run my Jeep down wash-boarded or rocky roads at 3 times the speed my buddies can because of my shocks and coils. And the faster you drive the smoother they feel.

I hope some of that provides you assistance with your decision. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Top Bottom