rubicon express lift

jman_12

After many months of research, changing my mind, etc. I've finally decided on a lift. Rubicon express 2.5 inch lift w/mono tube shocks. Just wondered if anyone has experience with how hard the install is, and has the ride quality on road been good(for a lifted jeep, that is) If anyone has feedback that'd be great!

There have been several who have this lift and can provide feed back.

The biggest thing when installing is to take your time. If you think you can knock it out in a 4 hours plan on 8-12 hours. Having a friend to help will make the install a little easier. Also a good jack and tall jack stands will make it easier too. One thing I found when I installed my lift was to remove the bracket holding the front brake lines in place allowed for more articulation of the axle to get the coils out.

As a list tid bit of information is to check youtube for a install video.

R/
Will

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
For the quality of the ride with the lift, you should really find someone with the lift you want and ride in their jeep. Ride quality is all subjective as WOL would say. So it is really up to you if the ride is good or not.

Loading please wait....

t8er

I've got an RE lift just did 3.5" not 2.5". It's not as smooth as an AEV lift on road but off road works fine. Also fine tuning PSI in my tires helped. Discount set them at 45 PSI. After playing around I found 30 was the right number. The lift, tires and PSI will all play into ride. As far as installation goes I went slow and with air tools did it in 10 hours including test ride. It's not too hard just go slow, organize your parts and follow the instructions. Check out Project JK for general tips.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would add front lower CA's

In the event that the OP doesn't understand this recommendation, I should add that you'd want them to be "adjustable" front lower control arms and reason why you might want them is to help add back a little positive caster. After installing a lift, even one as small as 2.5", you may find that the change in your caster is enough to negatively influence your handling. Specifically, you may find that your Jeep feels "flighty" or "wanders" around at highway speeds. Restoring your caster back to a factory +4° will help mitigate this and adjustable front lower arms will allow you to do this.

shadow21

Speaking from someone who has WASTED their money on a Rubicon Express lift kit don't buy that shit. I have a 3.5 re lift and it rides like a wagon on square wheels. If you want a RE lift you might as well buy a Pro-Comp lift as they are the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking from someone who has WASTED their money on a Rubicon Express lift kit don't buy that shit. I have a 3.5 re lift and it rides like a wagon on square wheels. If you want a RE lift you might as well buy a Pro-Comp lift as they are the same.

:cheesy: I don't see it too often but, that was a pretty honest review and from someone who owns the product. :clap2:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Hard to get honest reviews anymore. Most people hate to admit they wasted their money.

Remlap

As mentioned, ride quality is 100% subjective. If you like what you have now, you might want to consider getting a coil spacer lift instead. The following link goes to a write-up I did a while back that should be of help:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-long-travel-lift-kit-installation-write-up

This is what I did and used the RE 2.5 kit with spacers, rear sway bar brackets (stock rear ones move up front), shock extensions, and rear track bar relocation bracket. Happy with it except for the rear track bar bracket set my rear axle off towards driver almost an inch. So no need to buy that, wen't back to stock and it is very close.

I like the factory ride well enough and the springs/coils that come with their actual lift kit just seemed like a downgrade from stock to me but hell I don't know.

Their new coilover lift looks interesting from them Sema pics, curious about cost on that one.

jkfern27

I have the Rubicon express as well and it does ride extremely harsh ...I bought the lift because I got sucked in by 4wheelparts but if I would've known then what I know now I would've gone a different route but like stated before It does perform ok off road

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

t8er

I should add on mine that I run 35" Nittos that are E rated. Also I've got ORFab bumpers, winch, tire carrier, 10 spare gallons, recovery gear, spare fluids etc so I've got a decent amount of extra weight that helps to soften the ride. Like WOL said if you like the stock ride go with coil spacers instead of the RE lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tapcola

Ha I'll be honest ,4wp suckered me big time ! I have a RE 3.5 SF and their shocks to boot .total nubi move =\ . it came with all the parts , took 6 weeks and a email to RE to get it . it is a pretty stiff ride .not a real fan defiantly looking at new plan . save your money by something else , shop somewhere else ! EVO , RK, TF , all are way better than RE .The joints don't last . did I forget any thing ?

shadow21

Ha I'll be honest ,4wp suckered me big time ! I have a RE 3.5 SF and their shocks to boot .total nubi move =\ . it came with all the parts , took 6 weeks and a email to RE to get it . it is a pretty stiff ride .not a real fan defiantly looking at new plan . save your money by something else , shop somewhere else ! EVO , RK, TF , all are way better than RE .The joints don't last . did I forget any thing ?

Only thing i think you forgot the words "worst decision ever". I feel your pain man.

Top Bottom