Buying Used Modded JKU

jeepster83

Hello all! New member and first post here. I'll start off with a little background first. I'm not currently a Jeep owner, but hoping to be in the near future. I've never owned a Jeep, but my father had 2 TJs while I was growing up, and he managed to sell his 2000 TJ a couple years ago without asking me first since he didn't think I'd be interested, even though I've always told him if he ever decides to sell it, to let me know first (it was 4.0 manual in excellent condition with only 70k miles -- he sold it for $6k!). Oh well. So, ever since then, I've been itching to get a Jeep of my own.

Onto what I'm looking to get. I currently have a 2004 V8 4Runner that I've been very happy with... no issues what so ever. BUT... I'm getting bored with it. So, here I am, looking for a Jeep. This will be my DD as well as my off-road vehicle. Being that this will be my only vehicle, I'm currently leaning toward the JKU for all-around purpose -- hwy ride for daily driving and interior space. I'm currently living in an apartment with no garage, no tools, no easy way of modding without having to pay $$ to a shop, so I'm leaning toward finding an already modded Jeep. I've heard buying a modded Jeep can be risky, as there's always a chance that it was used extensively off-road and beaten up pretty good. So, what actually brought me here... I found a 2012 JKU Rubicon that is heavily modded and on the windshield is a WAYALIFE decal. So, in an effort of trying to learn a little more about the vehicle, I'm hoping some forum members may be able to shed some light onto this vehicle if they recognize it, or point me in the direction of the previous owner for some questions.

I appreciate any and all help regarding this particular vehicle or on the subject of buying a used and modded Jeep as an only vehicle. Below is a link to an image of the Jeep. Also, if it helps, the Jeep has an ORE tire carrier.

Thanks,
Dave

http://tinypic.com/r/308f6zn/8

hlax2525

Not sure as to what extent that rig was used, but it has quality ORE parts which leads me to believe it was wheeled. IMO buying used isn't always terrible, especially if the rig was taken care of. I see 1/4 pounder with stinger, warn winch, trucklites, rock skins and tire carrier skins, not sure if the tire carrier is there though. Try to see if you can get more information or pics of it, that would help determine if to what extent it was wheeled and help others to chime in to see if it is a good idea.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Here's a link to the dealer listing: http://www.huffines.net/Used-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-Lewisville/vd/24004081. Hopefully that can help you guys shed a little more light onto the vehicle. Price is a little under $34k with 50k miles.

Dave

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd rather get a brand new 15 for that price, with a full warranty, and be the original owner, and enjoy building it myself, how I want it. Just my .02. IMHO, wranglers are the worst ride in the world to buy used. They hold their value too well.

computeruser6

Some of the upgrades are obvious but I don't see any listing of what the suspension is. Do you or the dealer have a detailed list of modifications? Any good pictures of the underside? I looked up expected prices for a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in good condition at 50,000 miles for the 75067 area code on ClearBook and came up with $29,148 for an expected sale price and $31,233 for an expected listing price.

computeruser6

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd rather get a brand new 15 for that price, with a full warranty, and be the original owner, and enjoy building it myself, how I want it. Just my .02. IMHO, wranglers are the worst ride in the world to buy used. They hold their value too well.

Does seem high for a vehicle with 50,000 miles on it. If people all over are willing to pay for it...

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
If you look at the skid plates it might give you a good idea of how hard this vehicle was used. I know of lot of us (my self included) build our Jeeps and don't get out or wheel as hard as we would like. It looks like someone spent some money to build it. I would say wait a little bit to see if anyone recognizes it, get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing and if all is well go for it. Welcome to the addiction!

David1tontj

Yes- some good points have been made- checking the skid plates is a good idea, but I think finding the actual specs and mods is more important because if it is built right (aftermarket front axle, good suspension, skids, etc) then it shouldn't matter if it was wheeled hard.

I would personally rather buy a jeep that had been off roaded, because then you know they have worked the kinks out.

Beware of bent front axle if it is the stock dana 44.

Given your apartment/ lack of garage situation, and depending on the mods we can't see.. It seems like a decent enough deal.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Does look like a nice rig. Can you get the vin and run it? Maybe start a thread with some info in the Title on rig maybe someone will see?

JKMag

I had a 2012 2 door with the 3.6, it is known that a few of the first run 3.6 engines had some head issues plus some other problems. Mine never flashed a code with regards to the P0302 misfire but my mileage kept going down for whatever reason. I would ask the dealer to pull any dealer vehicle history if you can and I believe Chrysler did extend the warranty on those engines regarding the head problem to 100k.

I personally would buy a new one too unless you can find the original owner and/or get a good idea of its history. At that price you can buy a new Vehicle with a dealer warranty more so if you don't have a place to wrench on it if something needs to be fixed or some "bugs" need to be worked out.

Either way, I hope you find what you are looking for. I waited years to get my first Wrangler and Ive bought 2 so far and we will see again what the next generation Wrangler holds.

jeeeep

Hooked
that rig looks familiar, searched the build thread but couldn't find it. As other have stated, look at the skids. cross member to see how bent up they are.

Also check the arms, is it a full set of adjustable control arms. only uppers or lowers, look at the tie rod, c's have gussets, springs, axle rosette welds, etc...

Do they know the gear ratio? it's an automatic, do they have the tuner that was used to flash the gears, tires and shift points? has the dealer flashed it to stock so if the new owner buys an aftermarket tuner it will not brick the PCM? Also need to check if it's been flagged by another dealer and any future warranty work will be voided on the drive train.

There's a lot to inspect.

NADA blue book on the JK with 50k miles, winch + hardtop+ tow pkg (assuming it has it since it's a Rubi) clean retail is listed at $33675. IMO the price with everything that's on it is low for a dealer price - makes me suspect there may be something wrong. Also need to check if it's been flagged by another dealer and any future warranty work will be voided.

I'd inspect everything and make a list of questions, if they can't give you quick and full answers - walk away. Make sure you get any warranty work history because the 2012's did have issues with heads and radiator cores, you don't want to get stuck with having to pay for those items if it's been flagged for being modded.

2012CrushJKU

Hey brother, that's my old jeep. I had to sell due to my family situation and having to drive 200+ miles every other weekend. Shoot me a pm and I can give you my number. I still have all the receipts of the shop work that did the gear, driveline, etc...

jeepster83

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful responses so far! And luckily, the previous owner ran across this thread. I went ahead and contacted him, but please feel free to continue adding any helpful to this thread.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hey brother, that's my old jeep. I had to sell due to my family situation and having to drive 200+ miles every other weekend. Shoot me a pm and I can give you my number. I still have all the receipts of the shop work that did the gear, driveline, etc...

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful responses so far! And luckily, the previous owner ran across this thread. I went ahead and contacted him, but please feel free to continue adding any helpful to this thread.

How cool was that.

hbkid22

I would say if you can get the specs and you know what you are buying then it is not a bad idea to buy used....I bought mine used and already with a few mods on it with the mentality of I wont need to do much else to it (plus the price was right).....But after that I wish I would have bought a new one or stock one for that matter....I will end up replacing all the parts on it and build it the way I want so those mods I bought it for wont stay on it.....I would say get a new one and run it for a couple months and you will learn what you need/want and dont need/dont want and you can build from there....Nothing wrong with buying a jeep used already built but it also takes the fun away from watching it grow up....

el_chupo_

There is only value in a used built rig if it is exactly what you wanted to do - otherwise you are paying a premium (in most cases) for stuff you will be replacing. But ask the original owner what they gave him in trade, so you will have an idea of where they can go price-wise.

and to those asking about value, here in the DFW area, it seems used lifted/built jeeps sell very well. Before I bought mine, I found a 2013 JKU sport with a lift and 35's that they were asking close to 40k. Rockstar wheels, didnt even look at lift brand, but running 3.21 gears. I think it had about 25k on the odometer. Also a used MW3 rubicon with a small lift and wheels/tires was about $4k more than equivalent Rubicons without modifications. That one had around 40k on the odometer, was a 2012, and they were around $37K. And right now, stock Rubicons for '12/'13 seem to be hovering around $32-35K asking price.

Top Bottom