Aussie Locker

jango

I'm looking to buy an Aussie locker very soon. I have a 2012 JKU sport so D30 in the front and D44 in the rear and 3.21 gears. So my questions are about driving around with the locker in. Since the locker will always be on when in 4 wheel drive.. it sounds dangerous. Can you still go like 20 mph in 4 wheel high on dirt roads? How about snow? I would want to be able to still to use 4wd high at around 20-30 mph but would having the locker on cause some kinda accident damage?

ZuidJK

I have no experience with he Aussie locker, I am running Detroits now and if I had to do it again I would defiantly go with a selectable locker. If I am in 4wd high and driving in a snow storm or icy road the steering feels very pushy and flighty even when going straight. I have gotten used to it more this being my second winter with the full time lockers, but being in canada I'm eventually going to go ARB.

Why do you want to lock the front end? If anything I would just lock the rear a
Because of the size of the Ring and pinion.

I posed the same question about a year ago and he answer I received was do not waist the money because it will cause more breakage later.

xrocknrollx

I ran lunchbox lockers in my tj (powertrax no slip) after the factory limited slip failed. They made the jeep drive bad on pavement (locker forced emergency lane change) and even worse in snowy/icy conditions. On dirt was fine in 4wd, but to turn on the rocks in Moab I would need to go back to 2wd.

The only breakage of the locker was the pin, which broke on the rear twice. Simple fix to replace the pin and put in new springs.

After going the cheap route once, I would recommend spending the extra money on selectables.

Edit: I did run the lunchbox lockers for 6 years so it wasn't that bad after adjusting driving habits. But I still wouldn't go that route again.

Last edited:
I know several that run the Aussie Lockers and as far as this type goes I think it is one of the better ones.

This said, I have seen several rigs that wheel often (without issues) break shortly after the instillation of a front locker. (Not usually the locker or R&P but countless axle shafts and u-joints) Personally, I will never install anything other than a selectable locker on a street driven rig.

I think some of the issue is drivers that don't adapt their driving for the locked axle, but I don't know...

jango

Canvas Jk- I considered locking the rear. But I do not think Aussie makes a rear locker for a 2012 Wrangler.

I think I'm going to get the selectable locker and just really pay attention to changing my driving habits for the locker. I really just don't have the cash for a D44 and selectable locker. It'd be a couple years before I could justify upgrading axles due to not really wheeling as much as I'd like to and not having the time.

Of course if I had a little more cash and really invested more time in wheeling then I would probably be more drawn to a D44 and selectable locker. Until then.. I'll just learn my lessons and take it slow.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I know this is a bit late but, I've installed and run an Aussie locker in my old TJ and for around town driving, it was fine. Off road helped quite a bit but it could be down right scary in the snow/ice. Selectable locker like an ARB is definitely the way to go. Of course, if it were me, I would hold off and just play with what you got for as long as it takes to save up enough for a ProRock44 with locker. Of course, that's just me.

Well, I know this is a bit late but, I've installed and run an Aussie locker in my old TJ and for around town driving, it was fine. Off road helped quite a bit but it could be down right scary in the snow/ice. Selectable locker like an ARB is definitely the way to go. Of course, if it were me, I would hold off and just play with what you got for as long as it takes to save up enough for a ProRock44 with locker. Of course, that's just me.

I agree with you. I am biased on my "streetability" view as I consider snow and ice. :thumb:

To the OP:
If you are having trouble budgeting a 44... will you have trouble handling the possible breaks (which are much more likely when locking a D30)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you. I am biased on my "streetability" view as I consider snow and ice. :thumb:

To the OP:
If you are having trouble budgeting a 44... will you have trouble handling the possible breaks (which are much more likely when locking a D30)?

This ^^^^ I couldn't agree more. Easier to just use what you have and save up for a better solution than to break in epic proportions and not have a Jeep to drive because you just spent all your money on parts that lead to said epic break.

tankcj

I'm looking to buy an Aussie locker very soon. I have a 2012 JKU sport so D30 in the front and D44 in the rear and 3.21 gears. So my questions are about driving around with the locker in. Since the locker will always be on when in 4 wheel drive.. it sounds dangerous. Can you still go like 20 mph in 4 wheel high on dirt roads? How about snow? I would want to be able to still to use 4wd high at around 20-30 mph but would having the locker on cause some kinda accident damage?

I've run Aussies in the front and rear of a CJ I had. I think they are a great option for someone on a budget and very reliable. Very smooth on the street (slight clicking when going around a corner) but other than that you won't notice it. The problem is that you can't control when it engages. It typically will only allow the undriven wheel to spin faster that the driven wheel (this is how it allows you to make turns without screaching the tires) but traversing a slippery slope could cause the lockers to engage and that could cause you to slide downhill sideways more easily. They also tend to stay engaged a little longer than you would like so get used to more 3 point turns until you get the hang of it. It changes nothing with regards to using 4wd hi or lo. They really are a great design and work very well!

Top Bottom