Bent control arm

JLearie

Would a bent rear lower control arm cause a shake in the rear of my jeep? I know the arm was bent? Just trying to be sure that would be the cause of a shake or bad shimmy.

I hate sports cars, they scratch my diffs.

Would a bent rear lower control arm cause a shake in the rear of my jeep? I know the arm was bent? Just trying to be sure that would be the cause of a shake or bad shimmy.

I would look at the brake disk and wheel balance. Also check the wheel bearings.

Have you been off road on the mid recently? If so check to make sure you do not have any build up of mud on the inside of your wheel.

JLearie

I should have posted a bit of back story. The Jeep got hit pretty hard 2 weeks ago. The rear driver side and wheel took most of it. The two UCAs were bent and replaced. I drove it and it shook pretty hard after they were replaced. The garage found a kink in the LCA today. I'm hoping that was the cause of the shake. Im getting the tires rebalanced too, but insurance isn't too keen on anymore money going into the rear end.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Check the flang of the axel shaft. That would be a weak point if you got hit hard enough to bend your control arms.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I bent my drivers side LCA (stock) and drove with it like that for a while and never had an issue. It was only an 1/8th" - 1/4" bent and no issues. One smack of my BFH straightened it back out. The stock LCAs are not stiff at all.

I bought it's your LCA after the extra description you gave. I bet something you can't see is bent.

jeeeep

Hooked
that's what insurance is for, make sure they check that your axle is not bent and that the gears are not damaged. if the rear axle took the hit, your drive shaft may also be out of balance, your wheel may be bent, the tire casing may have separated on the inside or your frame may also be bent. how are the alignment gaps for your doors including the rear gate. I would also have them pull the axle shaft and make sure that it's not damaged

Last edited:
Top Bottom