Upgrading to New Tires!

tonytony9

I am in dire need of new tires, especially with the rapidly approaching winter.

I went to my local tire shop and they thought the biggest I could go would be 285/70r17/10. I have an 08 wrangler unlimited with 1.5 inch wheel spacers.

They also told me that metric sized tires are usually cheaper than those measures in inches.

My wrangler has 100k miles on, but has never been off road hardcore (I bring it on some muddy trails, small stuff occasionally), it's a daily driver. But I really want a more aggressive look than what my current 265's are giving me.

So just a recap:
Should I go with the 285/70r17/10 or can I try for a little bigger?

I was recommended the general grabber at2 - $225/tire. Any other tire recommendations or thoughts on these?

Will I need to get my jeep programmed to adjust for the tire size difference

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416347372.717197.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416347372.717197.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A best Snow tire that is an All-terrain is the goodyear duratracs so being in NJ you will not be disapointed in them for the winter or on the trails. a tire that just came into the same category tho that i would strongly consider is the new Nitto Exo-grappler. it has a little more agressive tire design than the GY buts its still an All terain tire. also you have the new Toyo R/T's to consider as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Most jersey guys I've met that run all terrains run duratracs, myself included. Love them. I don't even need 4WD until snow starts to measure in feet. Drove through 18" last year without even realizing that I was in 2WD.

Bacon

I vote Duratracs every time! I love mine. And they actually have the mountain ans snowflake designation, meaning that in addition to being a sweet at/mt hybrid, they are also a snow tire. They're quiet and fairly light too.

tonytony9

A best Snow tire that is an All-terrain is the goodyear duratracs so being in NJ you will not be disapointed in them for the winter or on the trails. a tire that just came into the same category tho that i would strongly consider is the new Nitto Exo-grappler. it has a little more agressive tire design than the GY buts its still an All terain tire. also you have the new Toyo R/T's to consider as well.

All the tires that are being recommend would be good all year around right? Because I don't just need tires that are good in the winter, I don't swaps my tires per season, I know other cars sometimes do this idk about jeeps though, don't see a need.

tonytony9

Also with increasing the tire size from 265 anywhere up do you think I would need to do anything to the tailgate? Like add those extensions or whatever they are? I don't think I could drop $600+ on a new back bumper yet even though I would love to get one eventually.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
All the tires that are being recommend would be good all year around right? Because I don't just need tires that are good in the winter, I don't swaps my tires per season, I know other cars sometimes do this idk about jeeps though, don't see a need.

yup all of them are all season/all terrain tires good for all year round use

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Also with increasing the tire size from 265 anywhere up do you think I would need to do anything to the tailgate? Like add those extensions or whatever they are? I don't think I could drop $600+ on a new back bumper yet even though I would love to get one eventually.

you can run a 35" tire (even a 37") on the stock carrier with proper bump stop length keeping the tire snug. as long as you keep your 33's snug agaisnt tire bumps you will be fine

tonytony9

you can run a 35" tire (even a 37") on the stock carrier with proper bump stop length keeping the tire snug. as long as you keep your 33's snug agaisnt tire bumps you will be fine

Okay perfect. But didn't you say I could run as big as a 305 without having to lift it or do anything more? Was is a 305 in inches

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Okay perfect. But didn't you say I could run as big as a 305 without having to lift it or do anything more? Was is a 305 in inches

You can run a 35" tire with no lift and flat fenders. You can fit a 33 with no lift and not have to trim your fenders. There is a metric to inches and inches to metric calculator on the interwebs you can use. Just got to google and ask what's a 33x10.5 (or 12.5) r17 in metric and it will tell you

el_chupo_

If you dont want to find an online converter, you will take the width (305), and multiply it by the height percentage (second number, 70).
That gets you 305 x .70 = 213.5.
Then multiply by 2 (213.5 x 2 =427).
Then divide by 25.4 to get inches (427 / 25.4 = 16.8)
Then add that number to the wheel size (16 + 16.8 = 32.8, so it is just a bit smaller than a 33", but they all are.

The thing about a 305 is the width, you may need wheel spacers. (EDIT - saw you have them already)

You said you were recommended 285/70/17, which is about a 33" tire as well, just not as wide. for a street vehicle, I would consider the narrower tire.

Last edited:

BumpStick

Wow really? About what size is that in inches? That seems so much bigger than the 285 I was told was the max.

They come out to 33x12... Since you said you have wheel spacers you don't have to worry about the minor rubbing at full steering lock. Once I put on 1.5" wheel spacers, no rubbing on or off road (never disconnected the sway bar before the BB thou).

tonytony9

They come out to 33x12... Since you said you have wheel spacers you don't have to worry about the minor rubbing at full steering lock. Once I put on 1.5" wheel spacers, no rubbing on or off road (never disconnected the sway bar before the BB thou).

I was looking into 295/70/17 tires. Everywhere I have looked they said it will fit with no problem.

You think it is a good idea with my wrangler having 112k miles on it? Never been off-roaded hard. It's a daily driver. I really want that aggressive look.

How much MPG do you use loose with that size and acceleration?

Top Bottom