aftermarket steering stabilizer?

jman_12

Hopefully I'll be getting a lift for Christmas. This being said, I know I need wheel spacers, front adj. trackbar, but i'm unsure about the stock steering stabilizer. I do a fair amount of highway driving and don't want an excessive amount of bump steer. I also don't really have the money to pay loads of money for an aftermarket stabilizer, so any responses to this would help greatly. Keep on Jeeping!

munstie

Stick with the factory one it will get the job done,and save you some coin.:thumbup:

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

blask06

Hopefully I'll be getting a lift for Christmas. This being said, I know I need wheel spacers, front adj. trackbar, but i'm unsure about the stock steering stabilizer. I do a fair amount of highway driving and don't want an excessive amount of bump steer. I also don't really have the money to pay loads of money for an aftermarket stabilizer, so any responses to this would help greatly. Keep on Jeeping!

I bought the sky jacker double stabilizer. It was relatively cheap on amazon. I noticed it firmed up the steering a bit and I think it helped with bump steer some too. It wasn't a miracle device or anything, but it did help.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Stick with the factory one it will get the job done,and save you some coin.:thumbup:

This^^^ if your steering geometry is in spec you will be able to drive without a stabilizer all together. That being said stay stock

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

^^^ I'll third this! I'm running 37s, a 4" lift, and still have the stock stabilizer. You can't go wrong with the stocker. :beer:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My stock stabilizer is shot, so I'm looking into a new one too

When I smashed the shit out of my stovk one I went on Craigslist and got a brand new stock one off of 2013 for the cost of shipping lol I would check there

SarahLu

When I smashed the shit out of my stovk one I went on Craigslist and got a brand new stock one off of 2013 for the cost of shipping lol I would check there

Thanks for the suggestion I'll have to keep an eye out. Mine must've taken more of a hit at Rausch than I realized. Oops!

When I smashed the shit out of my stock one I went on Craigslist and got a brand new stock one off of 2013 for the cost of shipping lol I would check there

Fixed it for you.

Stick with the stock stabilizer.

Depending on the height of the lift I would look at the EVO Drag link flip and retain the stock track bar.

R/
Will

jkuone

I think the stock SS is fine, mine finally took a crap. Replaced it with a OME
Just a little flasher..lol

David1tontj

Aftermarket Steering stabilizers are overrated.. Often they only mask problems and are a just a bandaid for a bigger problem.

I run 40" tires with no steering stabilizer and it works fine.

Stick with the stock one, or you may end up with one that Is too powerful and causes your jeep to drift to the left.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
The only time this could really happen is with a monotube/high gas charged SS. Most dampeners design is a twin tube and not charged enough to "push" the steering to the left.

OP if you do decide to upgrade, do a high clearance set up.
Good luck!

Rancho_HighClearance_Bracket_Sell_zps166e9d92.jpg

HighClearance_JK_SteeringStabilizer.jpg

Aftermarket Steering stabilizers are overrated.. Often they only mask problems and are a just a bandaid for a bigger problem.

I run 40" tires with no steering stabilizer and it works fine.

Stick with the stock one, or you may end up with one that Is too powerful and causes your jeep to drift to the left.

David1tontj

The only time this could really happen is with a monotube/high gas charged SS. Most dampeners design is a twin tube and not charged enough to "push" the steering to the left.
]

Not saying ALL aftermarket ones are evil. Just see way too many with that problem.

My steering stabilizer will NEVER get damaged, or cause a drift. 😁

Thanks for posting up those links, that's cool!

SarahLu

I ended up getting a bilstein one off a local guy for super cheap. No noticeable change other than now my broken stock one isn't flopping around uselessly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the factory steering stabilizer is all that you need. The only time an aftermarket stabilizer is something you should consider is if your factory one gets trashed on the trail. And, at that point and time, an old school hydro shock like the one Rancho posted above is all that you really want. Fancy expensive and pressurized dampeners will just cause your Jeep to pull to one side and NOT give you any new benefits.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
This reminded me I should get a replacement. I somehow pushed the bushing out of one end on the trail...got it back together at home and its been fine I think but may have to get one from rancho.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This reminded me I should get a replacement. I somehow pushed the bushing out of one end on the trail...got it back together at home and its been fine I think but may have to get one from rancho.

A benefit of the rancho steering stabilizer kit is that it comes with new brackets that allow you to mount it above the tie-rod and out of harms way. I would recommend it just for that.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A benefit of the rancho steering stabilizer kit is that it comes with new brackets that allow you to mount it above the tie-rod and out of harms way. I would recommend it just for that.

Ill have to see if I can just get the tie rod clamp and stabilizer, don't need the extra stuff with my dl flip.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Agree with everyone here - pretty much any stabalizer shock will do...but the big thing is to move it up above the tie like Eddie mentioned. Otherwise you'll just keep smashing it.

Top Bottom