Frustrated! Manual or Automatic

BillTheCat

I'm currently in the market for a 2011-2015 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I live in southern Utah so I've been searching Las Vegas, Arizon and southern California. I had my heart set on a manual tranny but it's so hard to find very many choices. WHY,WHY. WHY did they build so many with automatics. I do want to play a lot in the dirt with it. What are the pros/cons of auto vs manual?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Fewer people know how to drive a manual so I'm sure sales of manuals are down. If they aren't selling then they probably quit making them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently in the market for a 2011-2015 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I live in southern Utah so I've been searching Las Vegas, Arizon and southern California. I had my heart set on a manual tranny but it's so hard to find very many choices. WHY,WHY. WHY did they build so many with automatics. I do want to play a lot in the dirt with it. What are the pros/cons of auto vs manual?

First off, I would highly recommend that you nix the 2011 from your list and just look for a 2012-up. The 2011 was a bad year for the JK in that it still has the old 3.8L motor but, has a different computer. Screws everything up for you in terms of upgrades.

Second, for where you live and the kind of wheeling you have at your finger tips, I would highly recommend an automatic and, to be clear, this is coming from a guy who had been wheeling manuals for the better part of 20 years and love them. When it comes to the rocks, wheeling an auto is just so much easier, my wife and I call it cheating. It literally is the difference between wheeling with an open diff and one that is locked up.

BillTheCat

First off, I would highly recommend that you nix the 2011 from your list and just look for a 2012-up. The 2011 was a bad year for the JK in that it still has the old 3.8L motor but, has a different computer. Screws everything up for you in terms of upgrades.

Second, for where you live and the kind of wheeling you have at your finger tips, I would highly recommend an automatic and, to be clear, this is coming from a guy who had been wheeling manuals for the better part of 20 years and love them. When it comes to the rocks, wheeling an auto is just so much easier, my wife and I call it cheating. It literally is the difference between wheeling with an open diff and one that is locked up.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I was worried I would give something up in the dirt and rocks.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Agreed. Having driven and wheeled both, you definitely want the 2012+ Pentastar motor. Also, I like manual transmissions in fast road cars, not Jeeps.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

this stay away from the 2011. if only i knew back then i would have waited 3 more months for the 12's to come out. damn 3.8 and damn random year of trying a new ECU!!! :mad:

Oregonjeeper

I have both and i like the stick in mud because i can rock it if i need too.. But the auto is so much better with rocks..:thumb:

jesse3638

Hooked

I too was dead set on getting a manual. So much so that I ordered a 2012 JKUR 6 speed. Though I have no complaints and don't regret my decision had I done more research on the new auto trans they used in the 2012+ models I prob would have opted to go auto. Just wanted to add my :twocents:. What ever you choose don't settle. I ordered mine because all the local dealers had fully loaded autos and I really did not want heated seats, leather, Nav, etc. Why pay for extras you don't want.

KingCopperhead

I have a 14jk, I'll echo Eddies response and say go 12+ computer issues aside, the 3.6 Powerplant is just so much better.

That being said, I have the manual transmission and it is a lot more work in rocks. Especially if you aren't geared appropriately. Also, the manual is noisy as hell, the throwout bearing is problematic. (mine rattles at 7k miles, dealership "can't replicate the problem")

If I could go back and do it over again, I'd buy an automatic. As much fun as rowing through gears is, as much as I like to feel connected to my vehicle, the auto is a way better choice in my opinion.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I love my manual until I get into traffic in the big city, then I wish I was in an auto.

As for offroad I haven't had any issues or complaints with the manual at the OHV parks and Colorado trails I've run. :twocents:

I don't think you can really go wrong with either choice.:thumb:

el_chupo_

If you are still thinking about a manual after all that info (FYI, I am an automatic in the jeep guy, but both other cars are manual transmission, I dont even mind it in traffic), consider spreading your search out a bit. I dont know how close you are to an airport, but a one way flight to a large city (like Dallas/Ft Worth) shouldn't be too much, and its not too difficult to find a 12+ Rubi with a manual around here.

Here is a pretty good deal on one:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...imited+Rubicon]][]]&listingId=373182768&Log=0

Might be worth the cost of flight and gas, might not.

Good luck!

Dirtysocks

The Rubicon with the 4:1 gearing is fine on rocks.... I haven't had any issues yet offroad. I've had mine for a year now & have no problems. If you stall, just use the starter without the clutch.

Having to deal with a clutch becomes a pain mainly in heavy traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rticul8

I was in the same boat, really wanted a 6 speed and nobody in Texas had one. Finally I found out about a dealer doing 5.5% under invoice in Texas and just ordered exactly what I wanted. A used jeep with low miles is in the 22-25k range I got my jeep brand new 25 OTD so it is a no brainer to just get it NEW.

In the beginning I was paranoid because of all the negativity online about the NSG370. After 1000 miles I feel I made the right decision.
Yes it is a bit of a noisey transmission, but to me the shifts feel great. I also drive a 6 speed vw gti so that's my comparison point. When I get on the gti the clutch feels really heavy and springy. The wranglers have a soft clutch great for beginners ( harder to stall). I love being connected with what my vehicle is doing. I have driven many AX15 trannys which ppl love in the older jeeps and to me these feel a little more refined than those.

It all comes down to how you will use your jeep. If you are going to rock crawl in it of course an auto is EASIER to use. My father rock crawled in a dried out lake bed growing up and every jeep he took out there was a stick shift and he never had any issues, In fact in many obstacles where you needed more momentum it was to his benefit. My jeep is my dd and I live 7 miles from work about 15 min in traffic. It becomes second nature to shift, I love it and to 1000 miles later I still don't regret it.

Oh and even with 33's with the 3.6 and 3.73s WOT first to second feels amazing almost forget I am In a jeep.
With that setup I am at 70mph at about 2100-2200 rpms not to shabby. :beer:

Don't let the net influence your decision. Many ppl with problems will post their issues online, those who don't have issues wont post a thread about how happy they are.... :twocents:

noroad

I have a standard and for me it was a good pick as i get bored driving an auto really fast. but more to why i got a standard was location and wheeling style. I live in the northeast so there are some good size hills that i like to pick the gear for, also SNOW the brake is not your friend in snow but a down shift is. just my :twocents: would love to have an all in one but hey take the bad with the goods.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
If you are still thinking about a manual after all that info (FYI, I am an automatic in the jeep guy, but both other cars are manual transmission, I dont even mind it in traffic), consider spreading your search out a bit. I dont know how close you are to an airport, but a one way flight to a large city (like Dallas/Ft Worth) shouldn't be too much, and its not too difficult to find a 12+ Rubi with a manual around here.

Here is a pretty good deal on one:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...imited+Rubicon]][]]&listingId=373182768&Log=0

Might be worth the cost of flight and gas, might not.

Good luck!

man thats less thank what i got my 09 for :doh:

el_chupo_

man thats less thank what i got my 09 for :doh:

Its a pretty good deal, it has been for sale here since at least late August/early September when I started looking for one. I looked at a bunch, but I think they have come off the price $1000 or so since I first found it. If I didnt want an auto for the Jeep, it would probably be at my house right now, instead of the one I bought.

Could probably get them to come down a bit as we get closer to the end of the year, plus the fact that the tires look to be on the low side. Good bargaining chips.

spicoli

In my area (seattle) there was only 1 Rubicon manual within 25miles of me (4 dealerships). There was 3 when i made the search radius up to 50miles. Plenty of autos.

BigBoy

I love a manual in a car but my getting an auto in my Jeep was a must. The new auto is very good and the fact that you can choose the gear still gives you the manual type function when you really want to be in a certain gear and stay there.

Top Bottom