I wonder how a 'FULL STOCK' Jeep Wrangler would do in the Baja 1000?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I just read an article in TruckYeah about a "full stock" Toyota Tundra finishing the Baja 1000, in an impressive 35 hours, 40 minutes and finishing 69th overall out of 131 finishers. Again, they actually FINISHED and that alone should be noteworthy. Anyway, this got me to think, how would a "full stock" Jeep Wrangler do by comparison? Of course, measures would need to be taken to make it race worthy but, overall, I wonder how it would do? What do you think?

'Full Stock' Toyota Tundra Actually Did Alright In The Baja 1000

b0z8db5kro4aodhz1lrx.jpg

A 2014 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro finished 69th overall out of 131 finishers at this year's Baja 1000, rolling across the finish line with a gnarly bit of battle damage in under 36 hours. That's not half bad for a factory-tuned truck, in a race where just passing the last flag is considered a feat.

The Tundra actually finished first in its Full Stock class, which you better believe they're going to be bragging about their next bout of commercials. You don't really need to be too impressed with that though; there were only three other competitors and none of them were with factory teams coached by off-road racing legend Ivan "Ironman" Stewart.

With Andy Bell leading the driving effort, that Tundra finished the 2014 Baja 1000 in 35 hours 40 minutes, 13 hours, 9 minutes behind overall race winner Rob MacCachern and his Rockstar Energy trophy truck.

For a little more perspective; Toyota did the race at an average of 36.105 MPH. MacCachern was cooking along at a 56.644 MPH average, finishing in just over 22 hours, 31 minutes.

The Full Stock competitive field was another Toyota (36 hours, 30 minutes), a Ford (49 hours, 36 minutes) and a Hummer than didn't finish.

Read the full article with more photos on TruckYeah here:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/full-...ally-did-alright-in-the-ba-1660643871/+travis

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, here's a great shot from the article. I can take a lot of guesses but, I wonder how this happened? :crazyeyes: :D

sh4lvuhihuzrqxn9nigu.jpg

Just a flesh wound :D

Cormac828

So, I just read an article in TruckYeah about a "full stock" Toyota Tundra finishing the Baja 1000, in an impressive 35 hours, 40 minutes and finishing 69th overall out of 131 finishers. Again, they actually FINISHED and that alone should be noteworthy. Anyway, this got me to think, how would a "full stock" Jeep Wrangler do by comparison? Of course, measures would need to be taken to make it race worthy but, overall, I wonder how it would do? What do you think?

Casey currie did it in his jeeps (jku)

It had lift but i believe everything else was stock(and larger tires)

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I don't think there's any part of the course a stocker couldn't conquer. Race pace? That's a different story. I'd bring a lunch and a sleeping bag.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Casey currie did it in his jeeps (jku)

It had lift but i believe everything else was stock(and larger tires)

Yeah, I remember that but according to Toyota, they did it in their truck "full stock". That's why I made sure to quote that as I think it would make a difference. A lift would mean that Casey was running different coils and shocks and there's nothing stock about that.

I don't think there's any part of the course a stocker couldn't conquer. Race pace? That's a different story. I'd bring a lunch and a sleeping bag.:yup:

See, now I would have to agree with that. Running the course would be like going on a long off road trip. But... at race speeds? :shock: :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Cormac828

Yeah, I remember that but according to Toyota, they did it in their truck "full stock". That's why I made sure to quote that as I think it would make a difference. A lift would mean that Casey was running different coils and shocks and there's nothing stock about that.

See, now I would have to agree with that. Running the course would be like going on a long off road trip. But... at race speeds? :shock: :crazyeyes:

Very true.

It is on my bucket list. I would do it at a speed I would try and not wreck my jeep haha.

Cormac828

And that is NOT stock by any means which is what Eddie is posting about.

Edit: Impressive for Toyota, though.

I was just throwing an example out there.

I think just a lift and tires is pretty dang close to stock, but obviously it boosts the vehicles ability quite a bit. Just not nearly as modified as most vehicles out there.

That Toyota looks to have aftermarket wheels and tires correct? Or do they have that as a package maybe?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That Toyota looks to have aftermarket wheels and tires correct? Or do they have that as a package maybe?

the TRD Editions of the those Toyotas come pretty outfitted as is from the factory. i believe they are DOT legal beadlocks they have but im not sure.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

This truck has several suspension upgrades that we probably wouldn't consider stock. The TRD pro has new springs and even bilstein shocks along with many other little add on. When do you draw the line of being able to buy something with "aftermarket parts" off the showroom floor as apposed to manufacturer parts? Still impressive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This truck has several suspension upgrades that we probably wouldn't consider stock. The TRD pro has new springs and even bilstein shocks along with many other little add on. When do you draw the line of being able to buy something with "aftermarket parts" off the showroom floor as apposed to manufacturer parts? Still impressive.

So long as it's available from the factory, I still consider it stock. In other words, I'd consider any Mopar Performance upgrade that can be ordered and installed from the factory to be acceptable.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
So long as it's available from the factory, I still consider it stock. In other words, I'd consider any Mopar Performance upgrade that can be ordered and installed from the factory to be acceptable.

2.5 in lift with Eibach springs, bilstein shocks even? And much more. Not arguing just learning/friendly debate

CanadianJK

Well in that case a 2.5-3" mopar lift fender less on 'stock' 37s would have a hope. Racing pace could kill the driver though...

Top Bottom