Rough country lift problems

So I have had a lot of problems with my jeep including suspension and control arm noises and it pulls really hard to the right and makes it really hard to drive. I took it to 4 wheel parts for a diagnostics to see everything that was wrong. They said I need new tie rod ends, almost all new control arms (joints are bad and some threads on the inside of the control arm are allowing movement). I also need a new track bar. Should I just go with a whole new lift or try to get all new control arms. My springs are starting to sag. I have only had the lift for a year and a half. It has like 14k miles on it. It is a rough country 4 inch lift with adjustable control arms. If it is get a new lift is my best option then what lift should I get. And when I say the noises are bad I mean bad. Like just slowing down and speeding up it makes noises when the jeep moves.
Thanks in advanced

It's probably a safe bet that you're going to get a wide range of answers on this.
My first thought when I read your description is that, according to 4wp, you have a lot going on for only having your lift a year and a half. That in itself sounds fishy. My personal opinion of 4wp isn't a good one at all and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they told you all of this stuff in hopes of selling you another lift, not to mention what they'd charge you to install it all. I would first think of getting a second opinion for the simple fact that I haven't heard of many cases, on here anyway, of bad tierod ends. The play in the threads I can see, but only if the jam nuts were left loose. Also, it's likely that much of the noise you are hearing is caused by blown out control arm joints which is probably correct on their part. Did they give you a reason as to why you need a new track bar? I'm inclined to call BS on that as well because death wobble wasn't mentioned which leads me to believe there isn't any play in the track bar bushings.

Last edited:

redpatchjeff

Call rough country first. They have a lifetime warranty, so they will most likely replace the control arms if that's the issue.

David1tontj

It's probably a safe bet that you're going to get a wide range of answers on this.
My first thought when I read your description is that, according to 4wp, you have a lot going on for only having your lift a year and a half. That in itself sounds fishy. My personal opinion of 4wp isn't a good one at all and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they told you all of this stuff in hopes of selling you another lift, not to mention what they'd charge you to install it all. I would first think of getting a second opinion for the simple fact that I haven't heard of many cases, on here anyway, of bad tierod ends. The play in the threads I can see, but only if the jam nuts were left loose.

I'll just leave this here......

The challenge was, " your jeep in front of your favorite offroad shop"

New challenge: your jeep in front of your favorite off road shop.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

View attachment 100537 new challenge is your ride on a wrecker.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here......

The challenge was, " your jeep in front of your favorite offroad shop"

New challenge: your jeep in front of your favorite off road shop.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Got one a little more current? How about one of me actually in their shop? Here, David, let me help you with that. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416583690.786354.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416583740.017645.jpg . Oops, that's not 4WP at all :banghead:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is the shop in question the ones who installed the lift or, did you just take your Jeep there to get a diagnosis?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I agree with redpatchjeff on this. I have the 3.5" Rough Country lift which I have slowly been replacing piece by piece. I had a bushing issue on their Dual Steering Stabilizer kit after a year of service. Called them up and they requested some pics of the damaged part(s), once they received the pics, a whole new stabilizer shock and hardware was shipped out to me. The only way the lifetime warranty would benefit you in this situation is if you are OK with staying with a Rough Country lift or do you want to upgrade to a more premium lift.

Jk909

My first thought when I read your description is that, according to 4wp, you have a lot going on for only having your lift a year and a half. That in itself sounds fishy. My personal opinion of 4wp isn't a good one at all and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they told you all of this stuff in hopes of selling you another lift, not to mention what they'd charge you to install it all. I would first think of getting a second opinion for the simple fact that I haven't heard of many cases, on here anyway, of bad tierod ends. The play in the threads I can see, but only if the jam nuts were left loose. Also, it's likely that much of the noise you are hearing is caused by blown out control arm joints which is probably correct on their part. Did they give you a reason as to why you need a new track bar? I'm inclined to call BS on that as well because death wobble wasn't mentioned which leads me to believe there isn't any play in the track bar bushings.

Start off by finding a new shop. 4wp guys are a bunch of thieves.

Top Bottom