Painting "raw" bumpers and sliders

cdl

Fellas,

What process and paint and primers are you guys using to paint your bare bumpers and sliders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how much work you want to put into it. For me, I know I'll just be beating mine up so, I just clean them thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, wipe them clean and then hit them up with some semi-gloss frame paint. It's self-priming, levels out nicely, dries super fast and easy to touch up in the future. :yup:

Armydog

I got my metal cloak rear mounts, sliders and front fenders. The fronts came raw steel. I sanded them with 400 grit paper, cleaned them with alcohol and a lint free cloth, then used (am using) rustoleum primer and flat black paint from a can. I will post some pictures of the process when I am done. It seems to be coming out ok, we'll see when its done.

I did the same thing basically with the rear fender mounts a few months ago, they have held up well and are easy to touch up if needed.

pictures to follow.

bdubnit

I just installed a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper on my 2012 and used Rustoleum self etching primer and Rustoleum Bed Liner spray for the same reasons as above... Quick, Easy to touch up, etc

KingCopperhead

I use the same process as wayoflife. Clean it and sand it, clean it again. I go a little deeper and use mineral spirits after the final sanding. Let it dry and rattle can away. I used duplicolor bedliner on my bumper, but didn't like the way it looked after a while and it's a bitch to clean bugs out of it. For my sliders I used rustoleum hammered black and the finish is very nice. Levels out well and dries quickly. Scratched em up really bad on my last trip and it took me about five minutes to pant them again. Easy and pain free if you wheel your rig.

Duds0311

for my bumpers i used the duracoat bed liner kit.... i cleaned and prepped my bumpers but the duracoat is chipping off. either i cant follow instructions or there is something wrong with it! haha... the spray can is covering up the chips very nicely!:clap2:

shortyokc

i have been using the upol raptor liner kit with the included spray gun for about $120. the guys in local jeep club put me onto this and has worked and held up great. alot of guys here are ripping up their carpet and spraying their floorboards with it.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I don't remember what I use but like always my paint job looks amazing :)

For any doubters, check Brankz' dash paint thread. Mine would have turned out a lot worse! I would hire Brankz to paint my dash.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Panda

As Eddie mentioned a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol before paint/primer is key to getting paint to stick well and evenly :yup:

Top Bottom