Gotta sell the Jeep to combat PTSD.... :( 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Ratchet

So, I want to start by apologizing. I haven't been much of a member on here, in the short time I've been here. You guys are all an awful lot of fun, but I haven't really said a whole lot. I hope this doesn't get me too burned, for looking like my intent was to just sell things.

Truly, it's not. I bought my Jeep, with the intention of wanting to join this community, and get out on the trails, etc. And I've had a tremendous amount of fun tinkering on her.

But I've recently started therapy, to help me fight PTSD stemming from multiple tours to Iraq during the early stages of the Iraq war (2003-2006). I'm pursuing a VA claim, but in the meantime (as it can take anywhere from 6 months, to years....)...everything is out of pocket. The bills, as you might imagine, are hefty.

So, I'm looking at selling my Jeep. It's the only thing I really have of semi-liquid value right now.

She's a 1989 Cherokee Limited.

Removed the AC, as Georgia doesn't get hot enough for me to ever see needing it. Nevermind that it didn't work.

Engine runs, and is powerful, but does have some idle issues. Needs a new IAC, or to clean it, whatever. Transmision works, 4x4 works. Super cool '90's cd player, and retractable antenna, work.

Tires were shoddy, so I spent $400, bought a 5-wheel set of Grizzlys, with tires. In my build thread, you'll see the trouble I have had getting the wheels swapped.

Really, everything I know about the Jeep, is in the build thread. Minus that I don't have a title, as the ****** skipped town, leaving me with a bill of sale. He has the title, I had eyes on it....he just vanished faster than John Gotti. I honestly think he got arrested or something. Either way. I have a bill of sale. And his bill of sale, proving chain of custody.

I've got somewhere around $1500 into it. I'd like to see around $1000, if even remotely possible. But OBO, as really...the bills are coming faster than I can handle.

13.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sorry you have to part with it and hope it sells quick for you! thank you for your service and wish you well with your therapy and hoping the VA helps pick up the bill for you

pastorwug

So sorry for this!
I recently joined a group named "Mission 22" - maybe you would like to google it and see how they may be able to help.

Blessings,

thardy

Banned
Sorry to hear it buddy. I was looking forward to getting this thing back on the road with you. GLWS and let me know if you need anything man.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
First, thank you. Second, I hope you know that ownership of a Jeep is not a requirement of participation on this forum (just ask me, I had to sell my Jeep two years ago and haven't purchased a new one yet), nor is it a condition of getting out there and spending time with similarly minded people. I'm sure you can always find an open seat with people in your neck of the woods. Third, you may find it difficult to sell the vehicle without title because it will be very difficult for the purchaser to register the vehicle.

In any event, good luck with the sale and hang in there.:beer:

Ratchet

:beer: Thanks for the support, fellas!

I don't intend to leave the Jeep community, I'm just sad that I won't have my own Jeep to bring along. :) I'll still be tagging along with THardy, and others, as things come up. And eventually, I'll find a Jeep in my garage again.

As far as the registering goes....I'll be going by the tax office this weekend to confirm something. Per GA's DMV page: "If the car is newer than 1985, the bill of sale might still work in place of a title. " I'll see if that's the case.

If not, two other options:

Years ago, I had a vehicle without a title, and all I had to do was get a law enforcement officer to run the VIN. With that, and the bill of sale, I was able to register the car, no problem. Super easy. I think I actually had to do this twice...maybe three times. I recall having an officer run several of my cars, one day.

Secondly...if that has changed, or is incorrect, then I will gladly reduce the price of the Jeep by the amount needed to purchase a title bond. Which should be about $200. Which would drop her down to $800. :)

pastorwug, I did take notice of mission22, per your mention. Good site to bring visibility to, thank you for that.

There's a certain level of irony to all of this, of course. Working on the Jeep is actually really therapeutic for me. :D Even so, we all do what we must, to get to the next step. :beer:

Last edited:

Spartan

To Ratchet and any other AD or VET that reads this. Remember you are not alone in this fight. Several of the members on here are AD or VET.

Armydog

Sorry to see you part with your jeep. Keep your head up, keep talking to those who are helping you. You are not alone and many others have been right where you are right now. Trust me, it gets better. Take it a day at a time, keep moving forward. Any time you are in my area, the right seat in the pumpkin is all yours! Hang in there brother. Thank you for your sacrifices and service.

Miramontes

Thank you for your service. I Hope you are able to find funding without getting rid of the Jeep. Having the Jeep might contribute to your healing.

CharlieK

Thank you for your service. As a fellow vet I can tell you that is absolutely disgusting how our nation has and continues to fail the men and women who have defended it.

StrizzyChris

Good Luck with the sale and your personal journey! :friends:

Thank you for your service. As a fellow vet I can tell you that is absolutely disgusting how our nation has and continues to fail the men and women who have defended it.

...and yet millions of illegals become citizens for free on the whim of a nut job with power....:grayno:

Spartan

I agree with my brothers. This county needs to get better at taking care of the Men and Women that fight for.

Last edited:

Ratchet

:drinks:

I'm humbled by the support from you guys (here, and PMs). I really do appreciate it. I'm kinda slow at posts; so bear with me, if it seems like I'm absent, or just absent minded.

I don't have good experience with the VA in the past (Who does, really?) but I'm being patient on this current thing and hoping for the best. Patience... is what I'm trying to work on. Not so good at it. But getting there. Also reaching out to other groups/facilities, inquiring for info. Everyone who sent me different suggestions, and support, I thank you again.

I do love the Jeep. She may be rough around the edges, but she's pretty awesome, in my book. Unfortunately, while I enjoy working on her, most of it is stress. It's over at a friend's shop, and while he's charging me a very minimal amount of storage, it's money I don't have. Money for parts, I don't have.

I'll be back in the market for one, once the ground feels more solid underneath me. Especially now that I have a bunch of tools that would go to waste, if I didn't. ;)

I've had a few barter offers, also. May end up trading for something I can sell easier, if I don't find someone for a cash sale.

On that note....if my price is too high, let me know. Maybe I need to drop it down towards more like...$700?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
:drinks:

I'm humbled by the support from you guys (here, and PMs). I really do appreciate it. I'm kinda slow at posts; so bear with me, if it seems like I'm absent, or just absent minded.

I don't have good experience with the VA in the past (Who does, really?) but I'm being patient on this current thing and hoping for the best. Patience... is what I'm trying to work on. Not so good at it. But getting there. Also reaching out to other groups/facilities, inquiring for info. Everyone who sent me different suggestions, and support, I thank you again.

I do love the Jeep. She may be rough around the edges, but she's pretty awesome, in my book. Unfortunately, while I enjoy working on her, most of it is stress. It's over at a friend's shop, and while he's charging me a very minimal amount of storage, it's money I don't have. Money for parts, I don't have.

I'll be back in the market for one, once the ground feels more solid underneath me. Especially now that I have a bunch of tools that would go to waste, if I didn't. ;)

I've had a few barter offers, also. May end up trading for something I can sell easier, if I don't find someone for a cash sale.

On that note....if my price is too high, let me know. Maybe I need to drop it down towards more like...$700?

Stay in the fight brother. If you were in California I would buy this beauty from you to help you out. Don't relent and please be sure to ask for help when you feel like you are out of options. Good luck and I personally feel your Jeep could sell easily for $1,000. Fortis, Fidelis, Reverens.

Duds0311

hey brother, get a hold of Disabled American Veterans (D.A.V.). i was fighting the VA for almost two years, calling my representative didnt work. i had a recall muster at the local VA the DAV was there, i told them what happened, two weeks later i got a call from someone saying they are on my claim and in two weeks ill have everything done. well it took them a month but it was worth it and they do it for free. the VFW will also do it. good luck therapy really helped me out, and saved my relationship with my wife.

head up move forward, you are not alone.

Ratchet

Still very grateful for all the support, and suggestions. :beer:

As a two pronged update...

First, been doing a lot of reaching out. Send out contact requests to the DAV, VFW, and a variety of other organizations. Being a holiday recently, I'm being patient on a response.

Secondly....and less excellent.....Finally got an offer on the Jeep.

And you know, as much as there's something to be said about cash in hand and all that....I just can't bring myself to take $300 for it..... :naw:

Hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom