Steering Problem?

ROBJKU

Once I put my new wheels (35" Duratracs) on my new JKURX the steering did feel a little "heavy". Out on the trails the first weekend out, I was climbing a rock face and "tweaked" my steering to the left. Let me explain a little further. During the climb, my spotter wanted me to turn my wheels to the left. I tried to do so and we heard a little bit of an ugly sound and the wheels didn't want to go. So I backed up a bit and was able to turn them no problem. While driving home after the run, I noticed that my steering wheel now seemed to be turned a little to the left while driving straight and my jeep was pulling a bit to the left as well. I did some research and found out that you can just adjust the little "turnbuckle" underneath and you can straighten your steering wheel. So, I tried that and when I think I have it straight, it slowly works its way to the left over time again. I am wondering If I bent something???? My steering seems a little sloppy and it seems to pull to the left. Is the sloppiness something that comes along with the bigger wider tires usually?? There shouldn't be anything worn out, it's a new 2014 with less than 3000kms (yeah, I'm Canadain eh :)) on it.

Ideas??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there's a few things that might be going on here. First, is it safe to assume you installed a lift with your 35" tires? If so, what all came with your lift and assuming you removed your track bar to do the install, did you check the torque on the mounting bolts? The sound you heard and your steering wheel being off could have been from the track bar shifting a bit. Second, did you check your tie rod to see if maybe it was bent? That will put your steering off as well. Regarding your drift, are you sure it wasn't always there and just now really noticing it? As far as the "heavy" feel goes, is it safe to assume you didn't regear? Last but not least, when it comes to your "sloppiness", are you referring to how your Jeep feels on the highway? If so, is it safe to assume you haven't addressed your caster?

ROBJKU

Sorry Eddie, I guess I could have given a little more info.

I had the dealership put in a Mopar 3" Stage III lift before I drove it off the lot. So, after the lift was put in, it was driving great with the stock wheels. It was only after the wheel upgrade that the steering felt "heavy". The "heaviness| I feel is in the steering...not really overall. And yes, the drift is really only on the highway. I would assume any caster adjustments were done at the dealership? Maybe I shouldn't assume that. Maybe I did tweak my trackbar on the trail. I guess that would make sense where the steering wheel and the slight "pull" are both in the same direction. I have not done a re-gear after changing the wheels....yet. I have 3.73 and I know that isn't a preffered ratio for 35s. Would the re-gear make a difference in handling on the highway?? I watch your vids where you are running 40s and often wonder what upgrades you have done as far as steering goes....

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the dealership put in a Mopar 3" Stage III lift before I drove it off the lot. So, after the lift was put in, it was driving great with the stock wheels. It was only after the wheel upgrade that the steering felt "heavy". The "heaviness| I feel is in the steering...not really overall.

New wheels as in literally, new aluminum or steel "wheels" OR, as in, new and bigger tires? If the latter, bigger tires will have a greater amount of contact with the ground and that will make it difference in how they feel. Also, bigger tires will make your Jeep feel sluggish IF you didn't re-gear to a higher ratio to match them.

And yes, the drift is really only on the highway. I would assume any caster adjustments were done at the dealership? Maybe I shouldn't assume that.

Nope, you shouldn't make that assumption as you can only adjust your caster IF you have the means to. Unless they installed adjustable control arms or cam bolts (hopefully not), there would be no way for them to set your caster.

Maybe I did tweak my trackbar on the trail. I guess that would make sense where the steering wheel and the slight "pull" are both in the same direction.

A track bar that is off will NOT cause a pull to one side. I seriously doubt that it's tweaked but, a shift in the mount will cause your steering wheel to be slightly off.

I have not done a re-gear after changing the wheels....yet. I have 3.73 and I know that isn't a preffered ratio for 35s. Would the re-gear make a difference in handling on the highway??

As mentioned, a re-gear will help make your Jeep not feel so heavy. It will not change your handling as that is controlled by your suspension and steering components.

I watch your vids where you are running 40s and often wonder what upgrades you have done as far as steering goes....

Well, to be fair, that Jeep of mine is running a ProRock 60 front axle with EVO steering components. The only thing stock down there is the track bar :yup:

CrazyLarry

You probably bent your draglink and/or tie rod with the pressure you were putting on your steering which in turn threw off your alignment (toe) which very well can be causing your pull. The stock drag link and tie rod are prone to bending under load. This is what is causing your steering wheel off center as well. Also check and see if the installer installed adjustable front control arms to address caster. That amount of lift (3" right?) will result in low caster making the jeep wander at highway speeds. If not installed you might want to pick up adjustable front lower control arms or drop brackets to correct this

ROBJKU

Thanks gents.

I figured the "heaviness" I was feeling was due to the bigger area of the tire having contact with the road (confirmed by Eddie). A re-gear is definitely on the list of things to do. I will take a closer look at the drag link and other components to see if it looks bent at all. It's almost time for the new jeep to have it's first oil change so I will have them do an alignment to see if it fixes the steering wheel issue and the slight pull.

Thanks so much for the info!

ROBJKU

Update

I thought I might give a bit of an update in case there was anyone else having the same sort of problems.

Trip #1 to the dealer: Checked the steering and couldn't find anything. I took a tech for a drive and I couldn't duplicate the "clunk" sound when I was turning the wheel to the left. They couldn't get it in for the alignment that day, so booked an appointment for the alignment.

Trip #2: The dealer did an alignment on the new jeep, and found the left front to be out. They made their adjustments, centered the steering wheel, completed the alignment and sent me on my way.

Later, the clunk came back and it was worse than ever.

Trip #3: Showed up to the dealer and took a tech out to the parking lot to show him the "clink" I have been fighting. This time, I was able to show the techs first hand the noise I had been hearing. Booked the appointment to bring 'er back in.

Trip #4: Techs had a hard look at the steering again and realized that I had blown a bushing in my track bar, so they replaced the track bar and sent me on my way.

Jumped into the jeep and on the way home, realized that the steering wheel was now turned to the right. Booked the appointment to bring it back in.

Trip #5: I had to take the tech for a drive again to show him that even know we were driving straight down the road, the steering wheel was turned to the right. They took it back in and centered the steering wheel and FINALLY everything seems to be ok.

SO...even know I probably could have done some of the small things, but since its new and none of that work cost me any money...just some time....I thought I would let them deal with it. A little disappointed it took so many trips...but it seems to be good now.

Good times.

Top Bottom