Front and Rear bumpers with tire carrier

scooter k

I'm in the market to buy these and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on what they'd buy. Having a hard time deciding.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm in the market to buy these and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on what they'd buy. Having a hard time deciding.

You'll need to be more specific in your needs and your budget. Im a full width guy, and a linked tire carrier guy, so for me, the top choices were AEV, LOD, and Expedition ONE. I ended up going with the expedition one because it fit my needs the best, and LOD is a close second. The AEV bumper is a fantastic piece of kit, but the looks and having the spare offcentered was a deal breaker for me. All of the above are $$$$, but are first rate.

Bumper selection is based on your needs. I love the EVO carrier but it's my daily and I drive my daughter to school every morning, so the linked carrier is a must for me....so the EVO is out. Is your jeep mostly a street vehicle or an offroad machine (be honest with yourself.) I've met quite a few guys with latching carriers that hated them after 3 weeks because it became an annoyance. Also, what tires are you planning on running?

MTG

Caught the Bug
What type of wheeling do you do and where? Do you want to add a bunch of accessories? Do you want a bull bar or stinger?

Need some more information to give a recommendation.

FWIW I really liked my LOD rear bumper before I sold it.

Edit: ^^he types faster than me.

spicoli

I'm a big fan of Shrockworks. I think they make a great quality and well designed product but you must be patient because they are crazy slow at delivery. Expect to wait roughly 4months for the rear and 2-3 months for the front. To me worth the wait. I also really like their styling.

scooter k

full width
It's mostly my daily driver with some off road.
35" tires
no accessories
I'm not sure what a linked carrier vs latching carrier means?

shortyokc

Evo and genright for body mounted carrier for bumper/carrier combos lod, and crawler concepts are my pics and both have door link. Latching has its own latch handle you would have to open and close before the tailgate is accessible. Linked ones attach on a pivot linkage thats connected to the tailgate so it opens and closes as one

uechiyondan

First
You will talk to 10 people with 10 different set ups and get at least ten different answers. I can't say what will work best for you, only you can decide that.
Having said that my choice was Rock Hard for the front, to mount a winch and so I could hook up to my motor home without a bracket under the front bumper.
Rear is a Rock Slide Engineering with a linked carrier. The linked carrier allows me to open the tailgate and tire carrier with one hand, 3500 lb hitch and solid recovery points.
I drive mostly on road, but plan on off road out west (Utah, Arizona, Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Canada and Alaska next summer and fall.

Attachments

• Jeep front larger.jpg
    Jeep front larger.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Jeep rear right.jpg
    Jeep rear right.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 361

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have the LoD gen 4 attached to the tailgate, I'm getting to the point where I don't like it anymore. I have adjusted it over and over and it still squeaks offroad or over bumps and drives me nuts, it moves quite a bit with a 37 and it won't allow you to raise the tire to the top with 37s on 17 inch wheels. It did good with 35 but unhappy now that I have a 37 hanging back there. Also if you run 3.5 backspacing you will have to cut down the mounting plates to make the tire sit against the rack tight. Just my really life experience 2 cents.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I must say, I have seen all the big boy carriers (linked) in person and the expedition one is by far the largest and sturdiest. When I was installing mine, I was hanging off the carrier when it was attached only at the bumper, and it didn't budge. I have had mine installed for 8 months, and it hasn't made a peep. For a full width, in my personal opinion, I think it's the best. Im not saying that because I have it, I have it because when I was shopping for a full width linked, I thought the EXP1 was the best.

brooklyn4x4

I went with the best top high rock rear bumper in the back it's a full width easy to put on has a build in 3rd brake light and attaches to the rear tailgate but has a swing arm to support the weight and has spots to add accessories if u ever choose to and I went with a jcr off road dagger with singer in the front because I bought it used at a good price but I do like it

Rubizon

I have the LoD gen 4 attached to the tailgate, I'm getting to the point where I don't like it anymore. I have adjusted it over and over and it still squeaks offroad or over bumps and drives me nuts, it moves quite a bit with a 37 and it won't allow you to raise the tire to the top with 37s on 17 inch wheels. It did good with 35 but unhappy now that I have a 37 hanging back there. Also if you run 3.5 backspacing you will have to cut down the mounting plates to make the tire sit against the rack tight. Just my really life experience 2 cents.

Aside from the squeak, all said and done it seems like the general consensus is that the LoD is a solid set up, ya?

Burk24

Thanks everybody for all of your great info
Looks like I have a lot of options
I'll let u all know when I finally make up my mind
Thanks again, Burk24
Keep on Jeepin

Last edited:

scooter k

^^^^^^^ I thought you had your own thread?
I'm still up for more opinions if you'd like to share?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Aside from the squeak, all said and done it seems like the general consensus is that the LoD is a solid set up, ya?

Yes, it's a great product! Do your research and figure out what did your needs so you only have to buy once. That's my advice. :thumbup:

Yes, it's a great product! Do your research and figure out what did your needs so you only have to buy once. That's my advice. :thumbup:

If you have a squeek, give us a call we should be able to resolve it and figure out what it is. We will make sure everything is working 100% correctly and that you are taken care of. If you need a different backspacing tire mount we can also help you with that.

LoD

LōD Offroad;409449 said:
If you have a squeek, give us a call we should be able to resolve it and figure out what it is. We will make sure everything is working 100% correctly and that you are taken care of. If you need a different backspacing tire mount we can also help you with that.

LoD

That's great follow up LoD!!! I like that.

You guys are on my To-Do List for my front bumper currently. Good to see you guys paying attention and stepping up to the plate! Hats off...

😉

RMC2

Caught the Bug
If you can get out and find jeeps that have been fixed up, see what you can see in person. Ask the owners about them. Most guys love to talk about their stuff. Also look at photos of rigs on here and ask questions on those that look good to you.

I have mopar f/r and even though they are stout they are not my first pick for the looks I like. They came on my last jeep and I kept them because i got nothing for them on the trade in.

If you get in the back often and don't plan to drop a big 40 back there, i would recommend a linked tire carrier (opens WITH the tailgate) versus one you have to open separately from the tailgate. It is just simpler to open. The ones that replace the hinges on the tailgate don't seem to be popular, but I have no experience with those. So I am just spreading online info somebody else said. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I am planning on modifying mine to be linked, but will likely swap for something else later.

Find what YOU like.

Top Bottom