Rear bumper chop

Rubizon

Eventually I want to get an OR Fab rear tire carrier and the EVO D-ring mounts for my jeep; however, right now I can't afford to buy any more parts for my jeep especially with the holidays coming up. It just crossed my mind to do a rear bumper chop (similar to the front) until the time comes when I can afford the final pieces. Would the process be the same to chop the rear as it is for the front? I would consider taking it off completely, but without an aftermarket carrier I like how the rear bumper helps offer some support to the rear tire and minimize spare movement.

Thanks in advance!

TheDuff

To be honest, all the rear chops I've seen look bad. Not that the people did a poor job, just it doesn't look good. I would just say, pull the rear bumper off, it's only a few bolts. A lot of people paint or plasti dip the tub area under the tailgate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, all the rear chops I've seen look bad. Not that the people did a poor job, just it doesn't look good. I would just say, pull the rear bumper off, it's only a few bolts. A lot of people paint or plasti dip the tub area under the tailgate.

Agreed. I would just pull off the bumper and run without one.

BadApple

I chopped mine because i had to have a bumper on for a road trip. It kept me out of trouble but looked horrible.

Clark Collins

Chopped both ends to match

I agree that DSCF1847 (800x450).jpg DSCF1850 (800x407).jpg PICT2772 (800x600).jpg PICT2777 (800x600).jpg our JKs look great without a rear bumper. With the EVO D ring mount ends they look even better. However, with my 315x75x16 tires I wanted to chop the rear bumper instead to better support my full size spare. I didn't want to have to spend $800 on a new bumper and then another $600 or more for a swing out tire carrier. I used the end pieces and fastened them with hex head screws like I did with my front bumper chop. On the front bumper I reinforced the part that covers the crush cans because that is what keeps getting dented on the front. Now I can take off the reinforcement and take the dents out and put them back on (I've done it several times). All together I think my chopped bumpers look pretty good. (see attached photos)

The rear bumper photos were taken after our snow run today, so the bumper is dirty. I really like my 35s in the snow and used the lockers today too. I was pushing snow that came over the hood some times so I could hardly see where I was going. Great fun, and went up some pretty tricky hills with drifted snow, sharp switchbacks and some sidehills. Thankfully we didn't get stuck on this run, but sometimes getting stuck is fun too.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Take off the bumper and sell it, then put towards your mods.:thumb: The jeep does look much nicer without it.

Rubizon

I went ahead and took it off today. I think it looks awesome.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416794559.520892.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416794585.633421.jpg

With how faded my rear bumper is and after comparing to others online that are posted for sale, I would be lucky to get 40-50 for it. I'm going to keep it until I get the new stuff for the rear end...just incase.

Top Bottom