New 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler Likely to get an 8-Speed Automatic

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before I get to the article, I'd like to point out that this is about the third of fourth time I have heard AllPar and others in the industry refer to the new Jeep Wrangler that was supposed to be a 2017 model as a 2018. This is starting to make me think that it's no mistake but rather, an indication that the new Wrangler will now be pushed back a bit and RELEASED in 2017 as a 2018 model. But, that's just a side note.

What I really wanted to post up about was the fact that FCA may have accidentally leaked the fact that the new Jeep Wrangler will come with a fuel efficient 8-speed automatic. As you can see in the article below that was just published on AllPar, FCA is quoted as saying "The 8-speed transmission is currently paired with gasoline and diesel engines in the 2014 Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee and is also featured in the new 2014 Dodge Durango. We plan to use this transmission in all of our rear-wheel-drive vehicles, except for heavy-duty versions of the Ram pick-up truck and the SRT Viper".

With all the effort FCA is putting into the all new Jeep Wrangler to be lighter weight and more fuel efficient, I have to wonder just how fuel efficient it will really be.

FCA hints at Wrangler 8-speed in SEC filing

2017-jeep-wrangler1.jpg

In today’s Automotive News, Larry Vellequette reports that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles may have leaked a bit of future product information about the next-generation Jeep Wrangler in a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The AN article didn’t identify the filing, so Allpar accessed the EDGAR system at the SEC website and found FCA’s “Amendment No. 1 to Form F-1 Registration Statement under the Securities Act of 1933″ dated November 13, 2014.

On page 179 of the 257-page (not including attachments) document, the fourth paragraph says: “We have two commercial agreements with one of our key suppliers, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, or ZF, for the design, engineering and manufacture of new automatic transmissions that deliver reduced fuel consumption combined with improved driving performance. The first agreement covers a rear-wheel-drive 8-speed transmission for light- and medium-duty applications introduced in 2011 in the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Depending on the application, this 8-speed transmission reduces fuel consumption by more than nine percent over the 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions it replaced. The 8-speed transmission is currently paired with gasoline and diesel engines in the 2014 Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee and is also featured in the new 2014 Dodge Durango. We plan to use this transmission in all of our rear-wheel-drive vehicles, except for heavy-duty versions of the Ram pick-up truck and the SRT Viper….”

Since the 2018 Wrangler will almost certainly be rear-wheel-drive, it appears the predictions of a Wrangler designed to accommodate the 8-speed are correct.

Vellequette notes that Jeep declined to comment on the statement in the filing.

The company’s unwillingness to discuss the 2018 Wrangler isn’t surprising, considering that at this stage of development there probably still a lot that’s not set in stone. If the vehicle is a 2018 model, its earliest likely debut will be at the 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. That is just over two years from now. There’s still more engineering and design to be done.

Article published in AllPar here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/11/fca-hints-at-wrangler-8-speed-in-sec-filing

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
My neighbor has a 2014 Grand Cherokee and I'm impressed with its auto tranny. Can't say if it will improve mpg's on the Wrangler, but it is a smooth shifter, and doesn't seem to excessively hunt for the right gear on the long uphills we have around here. It could be a good choice for the 2017-18 Wrangler.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My neighbor has a 2014 Grand Cherokee and I'm impressed with its auto tranny. Can't say if it will improve mpg's on the Wrangler, but it is a smooth shifter, and doesn't seem to excessively hunt for the right gear on the long uphills we have around here. It could be a good choice for the 2017-18 Wrangler.

Long gone are the days of clunky and fuel burning 3-speed automatic transmissions. Like you, I really impressed with these new transmissions and how they feel when driving them.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The 8 speed in my dad's diesel Grand Cherokee is velvet smooth and stout. It would be an excellent unit to put into a Wrangler.

ssgp2

The 8 speed is perfect for the diesel, having most of its torque under 2000rpm.
I believe the Ram has the 8 speed with the Pentastar giving it great mpg.

Driving my JK north of Montreal, I often see my Jeep downshifting to third gear to maintain 70mph in the hills.
I wonder how it would work with an 8 speed.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The 8 speed is perfect for the diesel, having most of its torque under 2000rpm.
I believe the Ram has the 8 speed with the Pentastar giving it great mpg.

Driving my JK north of Montreal, I often see my Jeep downshifting to third gear to maintain 70mph in the hills.
I wonder how it would work with an 8 speed.

The hemi/v6 8 speed isn't the same unit as the diesel 8 speed. We tested the regular gassers before we got the diesel, and the tranny is fantastic. Same transmission as much more expensive vehicles (Bentleys, Range Rovers, Cayennes, etc.) Fantastic unit.

JKWrang

I just hope they dont debut this transmission with the problems the 201r cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) are having. As I've mentioned our fleet of vehicles is now Cherokees and they're SO fuel efficient but we've had 3 go down for computer problems involving the transmission: basically the computer had to be reflashed with updated software and the connection to the transmission was corroded and needed di-electric grease it never got from the factory.

Issues lile this are so minor and such poor quality control but expected in a first gen vehicle. My hope is that they learn from this round and dont repeat these errors with the new wrangler

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I just hope they dont debut this transmission with the problems the 201r cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) are having. As I've mentioned our fleet of vehicles is now Cherokees and they're SO fuel efficient but we've had 3 go down for computer problems involving the transmission: basically the computer had to be reflashed with updated software and the connection to the transmission was corroded and needed di-electric grease it never got from the factory.

Issues lile this are so minor and such poor quality control but expected in a first gen vehicle. My hope is that they learn from this round and dont repeat these errors with the new wrangler

The cherokee has the 9 speed, which is not the best transmission. The 8 speed is plenty for a 100mph vehicle.

Bacon

As long as they don't put that stupid dial shifter in it I'm fine with however many speeds they may come with.

Wardell

This sounds really good for those who prefer automatics. As long as they still offer a manual option as well that's as good or better than the current 6 speed, I'll be happy too.

What I really wish they would add is an unlockable centre diff for when you're in 4HI or 4LO, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen...

Brent W

An 8 speed auto would be nice however I do hope they dont use a crap IFS system as shown in the picture.

Mitrig

Long gone are the days of clunky and fuel burning 3-speed automatic transmissions. Like you, I really impressed with these new transmissions and how they feel when driving them.

love the 8 speed, my sister has a 3 speed and jumping in that thing after riding in my jk makes me want to kill myself so i can't even begin to imagine jumping form a 3 speed to an 8

trailless

Caught the Bug
Wonder if they're going to change the TC. I'm assuming that first gear is going to be lower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom