295/70/17 Tire Brands!!

tonytony9

I have decided to go with 295/70/17 on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Since I have 1.5 inch wheel spacers on my Jk everywhere I have looked has said this is the max size that will fit.

So, does anyone have brands or specific tires they really like? This jk is a DAILY STREET DRIVER (around 60miles everyday), stop and go traffic, and occasional light off roading. I want a tire that is going to look aggressive and give me a nicer look than I have now with my 265's.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416972506.670343.jpg

Please let me know soon as I gotta get new tires badly. Already waited to long for tomorrow's storm 😳.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416972434.606317.jpg

One other question. Does anyone think it will be a problem for me to go up to 295's? My jk has 112k miles on it, has been mostly street driven with very minimal off roading. In addition I am getting the steering redone anyways with these brand new tires to fix the death wobble anyways

It's an automatic, don't know the gear ratio off hand - 2008 jku x

Thank you!

Last edited:

Remlap

I'm running a similar size - 285/75/17 with 1.5" spacers and a 2.5" lift

According to Discount Tire's calculator mine are about 1/2" taller but also 1/2" narrower than the size you are looking at.

They fit without issue before the lift but they looked like they would rub offroad. Seems to be limited offerings in both these sizes though, most popular seems to be 285/70/17 but I don't think you even need spacers with that size.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more extensive knowledge, but let me know if ya' got any questions!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any reason why you're looking at a 295 instead of just a 33" tire? Or, were you hoping just to get something closer to a 35" tire? Either way, as far as brands go, for your purposes, I might recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT's. They may not look sexy but, they work well, are pretty tough and because of its tread design, will not diminish your MPG as much as would an MT. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a BFG AT. I haven't had a chance to test out the new Toyo AT2 or Nitto EXO Grappler but, both are something I would consider as well.

Stevepoz

Looking at the same sizes
Nitto Terra or Trail Grappler and Cooper S/T Maxx are some

I was looking at these b/c I was told with the TF levelling kit I could go either 33 or 34 and figure if can go bigger, might as well

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at these b/c I was told with the TF levelling kit I could go either 33 or 34 and figure if can go bigger, might as well

While this is true, you need to understand that when it comes to talking about tire sizes and lift kits, you need to be referring to what's written on the sidewall and NOT their actual measurement. In other words, a tire that is sold as a 33" tire will have an actual measurement that is closer to 31". A tire that has an actual measurement of 33" will in fact be a tire that has 35" written on the sidewall. Just want to make sure you don't get yourself into more tire than you know what to do with.

Wethy

i was on the toyo website last night and noticed the AT2 extreme comes in a 285/75/17 also. and if its snow. a narrower tire would be better. although i dont neccesarily think 10mm would make much of a difference at that point

Jk909

Nitto terra grappler g2. I run them on a couple of my vehicles. They handle great, look aggressive and are now backed with a 60 thousand mile warranty. Discount tire should be able to mount all 4 for about $980.

Remlap

i was on the toyo website last night and noticed the AT2 extreme comes in a 285/75/17 also. and if its snow. a narrower tire would be better. although i dont neccesarily think 10mm would make much of a difference at that point

If you are curious, my BFG KM2's in this size are 34" new on the tire carrier - 33" on the Jeep with 38lbs air, and 32" lowered to 15lbs - on stock wheels.

I chose the narrower size as I heard that 35's would rub fenders with my small lift and that looks to be the case with my buddies 2.5" AEV lift on his Sahara, but he never seems to leave the asphalt so hell if I know.

His are the Goodyear Duratracs? MT's - 35/12.50 and exactly one inch taller on AEV pintlers, I measured his because I'm kind of jealous but I got over it, mine fit the stock carrier great and tuck into the fenders still.

I chose this size until I can set up for 37's properly.

tonytony9

I'm running a similar size - 285/75/17 with 1.5" spacers and a 2.5" lift

According to Discount Tire's calculator mine are about 1/2" taller but also 1/2" narrower than the size you are looking at.

They fit without issue before the lift but they looked like they would rub offroad. Seems to be limited offerings in both these sizes though, most popular seems to be 285/70/17 but I don't think you even need spacers with that size.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more extensive knowledge, but let me know if ya' got any questions!

Hmm alright sounds good thank you!

tonytony9

Any reason why you're looking at a 295 instead of just a 33" tire? Or, were you hoping just to get something closer to a 35" tire? Either way, as far as brands go, for your purposes, I might recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT's. They may not look sexy but, they work well, are pretty tough and because of its tread design, will not diminish your MPG as much as would an MT. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a BFG AT. I haven't had a chance to test out the new Toyo AT2 or Nitto EXO Grappler but, both are something I would consider as well.

Honestly, I picked the 295 because everywhere I have looked everyone has said that is the maximum size I can put on it with 1.5 inch wheel spacers and no lift. I'm trying to put the biggest size I can on without a lift (can't get a lift right now). I will look into those brands, I heard about the new toyo and nitto tires.

tonytony9

I need a good all year tire, so no too worried about something like that. In really looking for a tire that handles well on the street but also has an aggressive off roading appearance to it

tonytony9

Nitto terra grappler g2. I run them on a couple of my vehicles. They handle great, look aggressive and are now backed with a 60 thousand mile warranty. Discount tire should be able to mount all 4 for about $980.

That's great because I was getting quoted over 1k or so

I went with courser mxt's in 295/70-17. They measure about 32.75 @ 28psi. Handle well on the street and are pretty quiet for an MT.

tonytony9

Does anyone know if I will need a programmer when going from 265's to 295's? I have an automatic 08 unlimited x, don't know gear ratio off-hand. Any suggestions?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Does anyone know if I will need a programmer when going from 265's to 295's? I have an automatic 08 unlimited x, don't know gear ratio off-hand. Any suggestions?

Yes you will. An AEV Procal or a superchips flashcal would work. I prefer the latter because it has a screen to see thrown codes and its upgradable to a flashpaq later for an extra fee if you so choose

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just saw someone talking about the AEV Procal http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/procal-module
Will this one work for a 08 automatic?

So you prefer the superchips?

Yes it will work.

The superchips flashcal and aev procal are basically the same price. Like I said the benefit of the superchips over the aev is it has a screen to see what your programming and if you jeep throws a code you can read it. I have had both and like the superchips a little better.

I just saw on their Instagram account this as well if it makes a difference
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417482276.399557.jpg .

tonytony9

Yes it will work.

The superchips flashcal and aev procal are basically the same price. Like I said the benefit of the superchips over the aev is it has a screen to see what your programming and if you jeep throws a code you can read it. I have had both and like the superchips a little better.

I just saw on their Instagram account this as well if it makes a difference
View attachment 113037 .

Ah thanks! Looks like I gotta jump on that right now.

Top Bottom