Jeep Purchase Question

Whiterave

I am on a tight budget and I am trying not to finance a jeep so I was thinking of either buying a rubicon TJ or buying a Sport JK and just putting on lockers and sway bar disconnects. I was thinking of going the rubicon route. Btw I know that there is a lot of other things that differ between the two, I just figure those two upgrade would be all I needed in the short term.

I don't want wait a couple of extra years without a Jeep. I might have to trade up a couple of times but my goal is to eventually trade up to new rubicon once I have saved up enough.

But wanted to get the forums advice on what best bang for the buck, and what other things I should consider.

Thanks in advance for the input.

HILLZ

I am on a tight budget and I am trying not to finance a jeep so I was thinking of either buying a rubicon TJ or buying a Sport JK and just putting on lockers and sway bar disconnects. I was thinking of going the rubicon route. Btw I know that there is a lot of other things that differ between the two, I just figure those two upgrade would be all I needed in the short term.

I don't want wait a couple of extra years without a Jeep. I might have to trade up a couple of times but my goal is to eventually trade up to new rubicon once I have saved up enough.

But wanted to get the forums advice on what best bang for the buck, and what other things I should consider.

Thanks in advance for the input.

First of all Welcome to Wayalife, drop in to the Give us a wave thread and tell us a bit about your self.

Now I can't comment on the TJ but I have a 2013 JK Unlimited Sport and it is a very capable vehicle off road straight out of the box and it only gets better the more you do to it, I haven't put lockers in mine yet but it has still taken me everywhere I've wanted it to. a lot will depend on the type of wheeling you plan on doing.
if you decide on the JK I'd get a 2012 or newer with the 3.6 ltr over the older one with the 3.8, much better motor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coming from a guy who owned and loved his old built up TJ, locked up, running long arms and 37" tires, if I had a choice between it and a JK Sport, I would pick the later. While the TJ is a great looking Jeep, the JK is an all around a better Jeep to wheel.

hudginsja

If it was me I would have to say get the JK. I have also had both and the TJ was great and I loved it and in a way miss it, but the JK way out performs it off-road and is more comfortable for everyday driving.

Gotta go with the consensus here. My TJ was a blast, but the JK blew me away with what it could handle right from the factory floor.

Armydog

I love my TJ. Picked it over a JK because I like the relative simplicity and ease of working on her. My sons JK is just to complex for me.....

chttrbx

Owned a 99 TJ, bought and sold it for what i paid for it used. Loved it, didnt do much to it due to cost of upgrades, currently own a 08 JK with 100k on it, love it with 33's no lockers in auto and it is an X 4DR. Great selection of aftermarket sstuff. Would do it all over again,

Top Bottom