Light bar wiring.

tobias lopez

I purchased a 20" light bar to mount on my front bumper. I was just wondering if I could use the stock fog light switch to turn them on and off. Please help.

I was doing some reading and read That I should use a relay. Example, lights hook to the relay. Stock fog light wire to the relay,lights to the battery, relay to the battery. Does that sound right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I purchased a 20" light bar to mount on my front bumper. I was just wondering if I could use the stock fog light switch to turn them on and off. Please help.

I was doing some reading and read That I should use a relay. Example, lights hook to the relay. Stock fog light wire to the relay,lights to the battery, relay to the battery. Does that sound right?

You need to hook everything to the relay. I have mine setup like that. I will look for my diagram when I get home if someone else doesn't post it up.

By the way, welcome to wayalife.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You can use the fog lights as a "trigger" but you should run a rely to do so. :yup:

shortyokc

Really depends on the amp draw. So let's say you have a 100 watt light bar on a 12 volt system you take w÷v=a which would be 3.88 amps. If I remember right the factory fog light have a 35 or 40 watt bulb. 40w÷12v=3.33amps. This circuit is actually 2 so that would be 6.66 amps. As long as you stay under the factory rating you should be ok.

shortyokc

If u want to run a relay Connect 85 to ground, 86 to 12v from fog light, 30 to battery 12v, 87 to 12v for the light bar. Don't worry about 87a it is NC and not used. The factory circuit has a relay in the fuse panel under the hood. Consult the manual for its location.

tobias lopez

Wow.... u guys a fast. Lol thanks for all the response. Thanks for the welcome.

Ok. I attached a pic with the light specs. Sounds like I should be ok. Thou.

Will it hurt it I run it to the relay even if I don't need it just to be safe?

Attachments

• 1417065318922.jpg
    1417065318922.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 137

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Run it to a relay. I tried wiring two rigid 2x2's as fogs using the factory fog switch as a trigger. The lights would flicker when turned off (like there were residual electrical pulses running through the factory harness). With a relay, everything worked well.

As for running a 20" bar, I would do it on a separate, relayed and fused system with a separate switch. Not because of any load issues, but because you won't be able to run the bar with the brights on.

tobias lopez

Run it to a relay. I tried wiring two rigid 2x2's as fogs using the factory fog switch as a trigger. The lights would flicker when turned off (like there were residual electrical pulses running through the factory harness). With a relay, everything worked well.

As for running a 20" bar, I would do it on a separate, relayed and fused system with a separate switch. Not because of any load issues, but because you won't be able to run the bar with the brights on.

Roger. Thanks for the help guys.

JKbrick

Had the same thing, they would even flicker just by opening the driver side door. It got so annoying I removed them and tucked the factory harness up inside the grill.

shortyokc

if you have flickering issues with leds you can eliminate this issue using a load resistor in the circuit which are super easy to install and only about $10. i seen some of the new led chips cree is working on that actually have a built in anti flicker chip.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
if you have flickering issues with leds you can eliminate this issue using a load resistor in the circuit which are super easy to install and only about $10. i seen some of the new led chips cree is working on that actually have a built in anti flicker chip.

You can install a relay for like $3.

Top Bottom