HELP a squeak i cannot find.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Ok guys bare with me as there is going to be a bit of back ground and description but i desperately need help.

I have been doing a bunch or reading and web search and even found great threads on here to help me out. But I am in need of some further info before I buy a replacement part or start taking things off I don't need to.
Problem: I have have had a little squeak that would come and go mostly when I would turn right that started a couple months back. But now it's is a continues squeak no matter which direction I turn or even driving straight and at any rate of speed. It only goes away when I apply the breaks.
my thoughts: either a bent axle flange or a warped rotor, but i am no mechanic so thats the best i could come up with what i found on the internet.
To me it sounds as if it is coming from the rear passenger side, so last week I put the rear on jack stands and let the wheels turn this is what I found:
sorry i cannot figure out how to make my videos smaller to be able to upload her so i put them on youtube and have added them here.
as a further note, the driver side wheel rotates straight and does not seem to have any wobble at all. also, when i pick the wheel up (passenger wheel) and see if it has any play there seems to be some movement.

Thank for any and all help with this! I would like to figure it out before, if it does, turn into something serious.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Squeaks drive me crazy and I am dealing with one now. :gray no:\

Honestly its hard to hear anything in your videos. Looking at the 2nd video it seems the rotor is moving a bit. I'd probably start by replacing it and seeing if it goes away. It's a pretty inexpensive test to eliminate something more serious. FWIW, I have a set of rotors and parking brake pads that I'll be taking back this weekend after trying to track down my noise. :mad:

I could not hear the squeak during the video's but I did notice a slight wobble in the wheel in the first video. Could be an optical illusion. The other thing is when you are driving you are putting the full weight of the vehicle on it and you are testing without the weight of the vehicle. You can also try putting some lubricant on the bearings to see if they are dry. Again it is a process of elimination.

R/
Will

JeepFan

Hooked
My JK developed a squeak several days after a run that drove me nuts.

In my case It turned out to be a bent axle flange. I did the same as you and jacked up the rear end so I could spin the wheels to check for excessive run out in the wheels.

I determined the flange was bent enough to cause the brake caliper to move side to side causing the pads to rub the rotors while rotating.

Did you notice any movement in the caliper while you had the wheels off the ground and spinning?

The other possibility is excessive dirt and brake dust build up on the e-brake shoes.

Just my 2 cents.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Squeaks drive me crazy and I am dealing with one now. :gray no:\

Honestly its hard to hear anything in your videos. Looking at the 2nd video it seems the rotor is moving a bit. I'd probably start by replacing it and seeing if it goes away. It's a pretty inexpensive test to eliminate something more serious. FWIW, I have a set of rotors and parking brake pads that I'll be taking back this weekend after trying to track down my noise. :mad:

Yeah there really isn't any noise in the video which I was disappointed about but also suspect is because the weight of the jeep is not on the wheels making it squeak. So since you are that's the parts back I am assuming you haven't found the squeak?

I could not hear the squeak during the video's but I did notice a slight wobble in the wheel in the first video. Could be an optical illusion. The other thing is when you are driving you are putting the full weight of the vehicle on it and you are testing without the weight of the vehicle. You can also try putting some lubricant on the bearings to see if they are dry. Again it is a process of elimination.

R/
Will

I believe your right about the noise because the weight of the vehicle isn't on the wheels. I don't think the wobble rotor it's an optical illusion because I see it too.
If I was to lubricant the bearing I would need to pull the axle to do that right?

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
My JK developed a squeak several days after a run that drove me nuts.

In my case It turned out to be a bent axle flange. I did the same as you and jacked up the rear end so I could spin the wheels to check for excessive run out in the wheels.

I determined the flange was bent enough to cause the brake caliper to move side to side causing the pads to rub the rotors while rotating.

Did you notice any movement in the caliper while you had the wheels off the ground and spinning?

The other possibility is excessive dirt and brake dust build up on the e-brake shoes.

Just my 2 cents.

How much movement was in your caliber? Also when your wheel would rotate did the sound occur when your wheel would hit a certain point? Not sure of that makes sense.
I can see movement in my caliper with the wheel on and the wheel off.
With dirt and dust build up in the e-brake how would I clean that out?

JeepFan

Hooked
How much movement was in your caliber? Also when your wheel would rotate did the sound occur when your wheel would hit a certain point? Not sure of that makes sense.
I can see movement in my caliper with the wheel on and the wheel off.
With dirt and dust build up in the e-brake how would I clean that out?

I would say about an 8th of an inch. If you're seeing any side to side movement that is more than likely the cause of the squeaking.

As far as cleaning the e-brake shoes and related components you could remove the rotor and spray everything with brake cleaner.

Also, this would be a good time to adjust your e brakes if needed. Best way to tell if it needs adjustment is to pull up on the e-brake handle and count the number of clicks before it starts to tighten. With moderate pull about 6 to 8 clicks should be fine.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Ok so I have pulled my rotors and axles.
Cleaned my rotors all up and the hub assembly with my brake drum.
All the bearings on my axles look good so it cannot be the cause of my squeak.
I now have a problem after everything is put back together and torqued down. I have the ABS, ESP/BAS, and traction control lights came on. What did I do wrong, or what can I do to fix this?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417982300.980887.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
if you're sure everything is connected correctly and not dirt on the end of the sensors, disconnect your ground, wait 15 minutes and then connect.

T&ERun

LOSER
Ok so I have pulled my rotors and axles.
Cleaned my rotors all up and the hub assembly with my brake drum.
All the bearings on my axles look good so it cannot be the cause of my squeak.
I now have a problem after everything is put back together and torqued down. I have the ABS, ESP/BAS, and traction control lights came on. What did I do wrong, or what can I do to fix this?

Question is, did your squeak go away? Mine was squeaking once in the rear also. I found it to be the e-brake. It was way out of adjustment and would squeak basically because it had enough room to rattle around. Tightened it up and it went away.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Question is, did your squeak go away? Mine was squeaking once in the rear also. I found it to be the e-brake. It was way out of adjustment and would squeak basically because it had enough room to rattle around. Tightened it up and it went away.

I don't want to speak too soon. But everything sounds good. (I still think I have a bent axle flange). But I found that 1 of my break pads was missing a retainer clip. So I bought a pack and replaced all the rear retainer clips and put a little lub on the ends of the break pads and not a sound from the test drive!:) so I'm going to keep my fingers cross and hope that fixed it!

Top Bottom