long arm vs short arm

teeswenka

ok so planning on lifting mine next spring, and I believe at this point i am going to go way a terraflex 3 inch long arm. my local shop more or less sold me on the idea and it seems most people go with a long arm. Me personally, I know nothing about suspension systems. I would like to be educated. What is the difference? How will I really benefit? Compared to stock no lift, what can i expect? The jeep its goin on is a 2012 unlimited rubi. I have wheeled my 2 door rubi, nothing to serious, still learning the driving techniques, and it seemed like it would go over anything provided I didnt get stupid. :thinking:

Attachments

• flex1_zpsa0181691.jpg
    flex1_zpsa0181691.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20
  • flex2_zpsc17241f4.jpg
    flex2_zpsc17241f4.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 18
  • flex3_zps3e32cc2b.jpg
    flex3_zps3e32cc2b.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 27
  • jeepbfh3_zpsa8c64f35.jpg
    jeepbfh3_zpsa8c64f35.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 19
  • jeepbfh1_zps1565dbe0.jpg
    jeepbfh1_zps1565dbe0.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 20

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you're only going with 3" of lift, i might recommend you save your money and get a 3" short arm kit instead. long arms require you to hack off existing mounts and weld on new ones and really, the JK arms are plenty long as is. if you're going over 4", long arms are something you want to do as they will help correct suspension geometry and provide a much nicer ride on pavement.

teeswenka

Thanks Eddie, much appreciated. All that being said, my goal is to build a rig capable of handling the rubicon trail. i know the dealers all say a stock rubicon is capable, but really, I am inclined to think that is so much dealer hype. What do you think? I know you have run it tons of times. And I would like to join you on it one day. Looks like a total blast. i am willing to spend the money to do it right, but again, my knowledge base of things wheeling is limited.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom