Front axle swap

jman_12

So I'm starting to look into swapping my Dana 30 for a stronger Dana 44 front axle. Just don't know if it'd be best to saw for a PR44 or try and find one used, any tips if I were to buy used?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have a PR44 front and I love it. It all depends what you plan to do, tire size, wheeling type etc. I sold the stock 44s out of my Rubicon when I upgraded to the PR44/60 to a friend. He trussed them and has never had an issue. Mine is my daily driver so I wanted it to be bulletproof and have no regrets. But my friend now has trussed stock axles and he saved a ton going that route. Again it's all in what you plan to do. Everyone will say save for the PR but it's all up to what your budget is and your plans.

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Absolutely save for a PR44. I have a Rubicon and thought that I would be ok just sleeving and guesting the factory 44. Guess what it still bent! PR44 is the only upgrade worth considering.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I would love a PR44/60, but dont see it happening for me. I rarely even hit a speed bump hard any more.

KingCopperhead

I was recently faced with this choice and going from a sport straight up to a pr44 is expensive. I couldn't really afford 4500+ for a properly set up pro rock. Also couldn't stand 3.73s and 35s that I had but didn't want to regear my dana 30. Came across a good deal for a complete dana 44 rubi take off with all internals. Already had c gussets and lca skids. I'm not going to truss or sleeve it. If it bends or breaks the price of a pr44 housing isn't that big of a pill for me to swallow at once. At the very least I feel confident that on 35s and 4.88 gears I'll be relatively safe for the time being. Once I move up in tire size (if I do) then I'll start worrying. This also let's me start upgrading my axle shafts etc since those will transfer over if I ever need the pro rock.

We all would love to be driving top of the line equipment but sometimes you have to make do with the best you can afford.

jkuone

So I'm starting to look into swapping my Dana 30 for a stronger Dana 44 front axle. Just don't know if it'd be best to saw for a PR44 or try and find one used, any tips if I were to buy used?

You might want to check Craigs list or EBay if you decide to go the used route.
I've heard of some guys getting good deals on used 44's that way.....

tpietzsch

Save now and wheel your 30 until something major breaks. They can stand some abuse especially with an open diff. I went with a PR44 out of necessity given my factory 44 was in two pieces. Been happy with it so far. If the budget allows, when the time comes, do the upgrade.

Top Bottom