Bowed drivers side front coil

JRied

Hey guys, looking for a little expertise regarding this issue I'm having. I bought my jeep from the dealer with a lift on it and I thought I noticed a slight bow before but now it's a bit more extreme. It has a factory tracbar and am I right in assuming that a adjustable one would fix this issue? I currently am purchasing a new lift kit for the jeep and should have it in about a month (currie 4" lift, waiting for more funds to add the rockjock). I'm asking because if it is indeed the lack of an adjustable tracbar I can take it back to the dealership and tell them there shop screwed up and should install one to fix it (costs me zero $ for a adj trac bar this way). So what is your guys take on this. Also with the naked eye viewing my jeep from the back it looks as if the axle sits out further then the rear on the drivers side ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417318170.445431.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417318191.874908.jpg .

This is a pic of the right and the left. Even the miniature sway bar link is completely crooked compared to the passenger side.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Are the springs seated properly? What type or size of lift is on it? Do you have a shot of it from the front?

JKbrick

It looks to me like they did not even bother to put on new longer sway bar links either. I would go tell the dealer to do the complete installation and do it correctly.

jkuone

With the lift the axles front and rear are going to shift some with stock track bars.
21/2" lift usually 1/4" off maybe tad more. Sway bar links deff to short. Did you check the rear
Axle to ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, looking for a little expertise regarding this issue I'm having. I bought my jeep from the dealer with a lift on it and I thought I noticed a slight bow before but now it's a bit more extreme. It has a factory tracbar and am I right in assuming that a adjustable one would fix this issue? I currently am purchasing a new lift kit for the jeep and should have it in about a month (currie 4" lift, waiting for more funds to add the rockjock). I'm asking because if it is indeed the lack of an adjustable tracbar I can take it back to the dealership and tell them there shop screwed up and should install one to fix it (costs me zero $ for a adj trac bar this way). So what is your guys take on this. Also with the naked eye viewing my jeep from the back it looks as if the axle sits out further then the rear on the drivers side

This is a pic of the right and the left. Even the miniature sway bar link is completely crooked compared to the passenger side.

Without an adjustable track bar or drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed, your axle will shift toward the driver side as your photos show.

JRied

Thanks for the replies guys, been busy will get the measurements in today. Yea I figured that's what it was, I plan on getting a evo drag link flip kit for the new lift and not use there dropped pitman arm it comes with. Still undecided whether I should take to dealer and get adjustable bar and longer sway links or just wait the month and put the new lift on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies guys, been busy will get the measurements in today. Yea I figured that's what it was, I plan on getting a evo drag link flip kit for the new lift and not use there dropped pitman arm it comes with. Still undecided whether I should take to dealer and get adjustable bar and longer sway links or just wait the month and put the new lift on

If it were me, I would just wait. There's no harm in your axle being off centered and this way, you won't have to deal with your dealership who will most likely just give you the run around and piss you off.

JRied

If it were me, I would just wait. There's no harm in your axle being off centered and this way, you won't have to deal with your dealership who will most likely just give you the run around and piss you off.

Ok thanks man I appreciate it

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

What would cause both of the coils to bow in toward each other? That's what the picture looks like but I could be wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What would cause both of the coils to bow in toward each other? That's what the picture looks like but I could be wrong.

Could just be me but, they don't look like they are bowing toward each other. You have to remember that both coils are indexed and terminate opposite of each other and depending on how the coil itself ends (parallel to the other winds or twisted flat to the perch), this will influence how they bow.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Could just be me but, they don't look like they are bowing toward each other. You have to remember that both coils are indexed and terminate opposite of each other and depending on how the coil itself ends (parallel to the other winds or twisted flat to the perch), this will influence how they bow.

a little bending in the coils is ok or would this indicate a problem?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
a little bending in the coils is ok or would this indicate a problem?

For the most part, it's fine but depending on how much bow you are seeing, it can be annoying as it catches things like your sway bar links or jounce stop cups. Typically, bowing occurs when your track bar is too short or too long for your lift OR, if your control arms are set too long or have too much caster. These later things are conditions that you'd want to correct.

Top Bottom