Pre Build Questions

granitejk

This will be my "Pre Build" thread, I am a new JK owner who would love to do it right the first time. I want to start out by thanking everyone for all the awesome information I have found on this forum, I have spent the past few months reading and educating myself so not to sound like too much of a noob when posting my first thread.
My JK: 2014 Sport S. 2dr 6speed manual
My Wheeling: This is my DD and will see pavement 90% of the time. On the occasions that I can get away from work, My off road use will be at Red Bird Off Road Park or trails similar to them as well as the occasional corn field (Which will make many members cringe as most openly HATE mud) . We also tend to get some snow and a lot of Ice here in southern Indiana 3-4mo a year.
My Plans: to build a reliable DD on 35s that will get me to work regardless of snow/ice (I work at a hospital and am often called in during crappy weather) as well as be able to play around at Red Bird without needing pulled most of the time.
Parts List: Teraflex 2.5 BB, Artec C Gussets (both under the Christmas tree)
Wish List: Phase 1: 35x12.5 Tires, Wheels, Gears. Phase 2: PS Brawler lite front bumper, Rock Rails, Winch
Questions: Knowing my intentions,#1 what tires would you recommend? was thinking Duratracs vs. Trail Grapplers (Duratracs would be great for the Ice and snow, but not sure if they would do any good in the muddy trails, while the Nittos may not do well in the cold stuff). #2 what gears? I have read the write up answer all the questions beginners usually ask, and in this 4.88 where recommended for 35s, this seems like a great leap from my stock 3.21s, and would just like to know if I really need gears that low on my DD or if 4.56 would be better. #3 any recommendations at all, Hope to put up a build thread this spring when its warm enough for me to start building and I have accumulated the funds (Gotta love budgets :grayno:)

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I suggest you add some wheel spacers if you havent already. You will need them to run the bigger tires because of the backspacing on the stock rims. I dont jave any experience with the two tires you are looking at but I plan on getting the nittos just based on the praise they get in all types of conditions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1 what tires would you recommend? was thinking Duratracs vs. Trail Grapplers (Duratracs would be great for the Ice and snow, but not sure if they would do any good in the muddy trails, while the Nittos may not do well in the cold stuff).

Your reasoning is spot on and if it were me, I might recommend the Duratracs being that 90% of your driving will benefit from them.

#2 what gears? I have read the write up answer all the questions beginners usually ask, and in this 4.88 where recommended for 35s, this seems like a great leap from my stock 3.21s, and would just like to know if I really need gears that low on my DD or if 4.56 would be better.

4.56 will bring you back up to stock performance but with a set of 35's, I can tell you that 4.88's will give you a bit more power and in my opinion, will be a better fit. 3.21 is way too tall of a gear and I'm not even sure why Jeep offers them. The RPM difference between 4.56 and 4.88 will be negligible at highway speeds.

cwmt3

I have read the write up answer all the questions beginners usually ask, and in this 4.88 where recommended for 35s, this seems like a great leap from my stock 3.21s, and would just like to know if I really need gears that low on my DD or if 4.56 would be better.

I'm in the same boat, recently I was able to pick up some 255/75/17 bfg mud terrain. Great tire in the deeper snow so far, and track well on our sh*tty ontario roads. However, since they are a bit heavier that the sr-a's I do notice a bit of lag now with the 3.21's. I can't wait to upgrade to at least 4.56. I have read many threads here, imo you may be on to something with the 35 duratrac, and 4.56. Good luck, and I've subscribed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat, recently I was able to pick up some 255/75/17 bfg mud terrain. Great tire in the deeper snow so far, and track well on our sh*tty ontario roads. However, since they are a bit heavier that the sr-a's I do notice a bit of lag now with the 3.21's. I can't wait to upgrade to at least 4.56. I have read many threads here, imo you may be on to something with the 35 duratrac, and 4.56. Good luck, and I've subscribed.

With just 255's, 4.10's are all that you really need and are what come with older Rubicons standard. 4.56 is a nice upgrade but with 35's, I would still recommend 4.88's.

cwmt3

With just 255's, 4.10's are all that you really need and are what come with older Rubicons standard. 4.56 is a nice upgrade but with 35's, I would still recommend 4.88's.

That sounds good to me. I have a search saved in kijiji called "jk rubicon" to find any rubi parts up here. I'd love to find a set of 44/44 with 4.10's, but it's been a while now searching. Perhaps a new wayalife decal with a maple leaf option will give me hope ;)

granitejk

Thanks for the advice, will probably be going with the 4.88s this spring. Local shop wants 1300 to put Yukons in, add that to the 310x5 for tires and it looks like I'm going to be driving around on these stock meats for a while. Unless I hit the lotto :daydream: . On a positive note, the 2.5BB has shipped and the Pro Comp steelies should be here this week. Their gonna look great stacked up against the wall for a few months. Keep the advice coming, it is much appreciated.

croge17

I'm confused about what rpm you guys ride around at. I recently geared my 13 automatic to 4.56 with 35" MTRKs on it and at 70mph I'm spinning just under 3000rpm. Is that what most people shoot for at highway speeds?

I'm confused about what rpm you guys ride around at. I recently geared my 13 automatic to 4.56 with 35" MTRKs on it and at 70mph I'm spinning just under 3000rpm. Is that what most people shoot for at highway speeds?

Here is a link to frequently asked questions about gearing from the JK tech section. 4.56 gears are great for daily drivers however if you want better off road performance then the 4.88's is what you will want.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21019&viewfull=1#post21019

R/
Will

Top Bottom