Found this in my winch cable while respooling, question

jorgelrod

Hooked
I was respooling my cable after having to winch myself yesterday. I found this kink in the cable, I just want to know if I should be worried and start thinking about a new cable or if it's really nothing

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417384756.774126.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417384770.297161.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a kink in my cable but it's far down in the spool. Only unspooled it far enough once for it to be exposed. I think it might be an issue but I'm not entirely sure.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
IMHO, the strength seems uncompromised so you can keep using it...although it can cause issues when trying to spool. Maybe think about upgrading to synthetic.

I have used steel cable on winches for years when gold dredging in rivers. Whenever we had kinks like that we would put pressure on the cable and it would straighten out. If the cable is damaged in any way you will need to replace it though, but if it's just a kink it will straighten out.

good question, I always wondered about those too. I have one or two in my line. I pulled out a full size bronco with the kink right in the middle of the line and it didnt seem to make a difference. For peace of mind though its on my to replace list.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
As long as there is no break, it should be fine IMO. Braided steel can bend, but as long as it isn't broken, I don't see an issue. Just something to keep an eye on when you unspool it.

ClarksAdventures

I use to operated winch trucks in the oilfield. That kink is nothing serious to worry about. I'd start worrying when/if it even starts fraying at that spot.

seanb123

Small test I would do is put the line under load if the kink straightens out you probably assume the line is alright

Top Bottom