California winter trails?

hudginsja

If you live in CA you know we are getting quite a bit of rain and snow. My wife's parents want to do some sort of trip for Christmas. I was wondering what trails are out there that are still passable during the winter here in CA. Preferably northern CA...

Rccrwlr

We tried to do a snow run last year and had quite a bit of difficulty finding a trail that was open. The big brother of ours seems to think its bad for the trails so they close even if there isn't a gate.

spinuck

I think Bald mountain is open year round (maybe someone can clarify). the Fordyce/Signal Peak area is open year round, but they close off Signal Peak on the Cisco Grove side so you have to come back down the way you go up. We've taken Henness pass road north of truckee through to reno when it's covered in snow, if you just want to play around and have an easy going, scenic drive. From there you can go up to the top of Peavine overlooking Reno.

I think Bald mountain is open year round (maybe someone can clarify). the Fordyce/Signal Peak area is open year round, but they close off Signal Peak on the Cisco Grove side so you have to come back down the way you go up. We've taken Henness pass road north of truckee through to reno when it's covered in snow, if you just want to play around and have an easy going, scenic drive. From there you can go up to the top of Peavine overlooking Reno.

You may want to check on Bald, I heard it's now gated and closed during the winter.

If you live in CA you know we are getting quite a bit of rain and snow. My wife's parents want to do some sort of trip for Christmas. I was wondering what trails are out there that are still passable during the winter here in CA. Preferably northern CA...

How northern? High Lakes area is always open. Very mild wheeling but beautiful views.

UpsideUp

How northern? High Lakes area is always open. Very mild wheeling but beautiful views.

Hey crippledpetey. How was the snow fall up there this year? I saw your posts after the huge fall and it looked like a ton but has that stuck around? A buddy and I went last year during Superbowl and there was nobody up there but it was pretty cold with tempts in the 20's during the mornings. In fact Spring Lake froze over in one night when we were there. Was hoping to duplicate the trip at the end of the month. And...have you ever been able to drive from Hwy 32 to Feather River at all?
Thanks for your help!!

Cencal

I'm pretty sure Bald is open I have seen a lot of Facebook posts of various clubs etc up there as recently as this last weekend.

Hey crippledpetey. How was the snow fall up there this year? I saw your posts after the huge fall and it looked like a ton but has that stuck around? A buddy and I went last year during Superbowl and there was nobody up there but it was pretty cold with tempts in the 20's during the mornings. In fact Spring Lake froze over in one night when we were there. Was hoping to duplicate the trip at the end of the month. And...have you ever been able to drive from Hwy 32 to Feather River at all?
Thanks for your help!!

Sorry just saw this. It's been ok. Not a ton of snow but it's there. I haven't been up there in a few weeks but it hasn't snowed since. :(

Rayz

Bald mt is open year round... but you must access through the lower gate.(dinkey creek rd)..as the Tamarack entrance@ the sno park is closed off for cross country skiers and snomobiles...

Top Bottom