Need recommendations on rear bumper & tire carrier

mastrcruse

I need some help understanding my options for rear bumpers and tire carriers.

I love the look of the Evo tire carrier but do not want to change corners and lights (I like my OEM square lights)

The ge right is next up but I don't want to drill into the body on the drivers side.

My next choice is the PSC with integrated tire carrier/rear gate but it doesn't have a hitch rated for towing.

JCR mid width and integrated tire carrier seems to be darn near perfect with the use of the OEM hitch and the integrated carrier. My concern is that the quality wasn't what I expected for the classic sliders and the rear bumper is more complicated to get right.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? It needs to be rated to tow or use the oem hitch. Integrated carrier isn't "needed" but quality and ease of opening is critical. Must have the ability to install a hi lift. Great quality is a must.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

I love the look of the Evo tire carrier but do not want to change corners and lights (I like my OEM square lights)

The ge right is next up but I don't want to drill into the body on the drivers side.

My next choice is the PSC with integrated tire carrier/rear gate but it doesn't have a hitch rated for towing.

JCR mid width and integrated tire carrier seems to be darn near perfect with the use of the OEM hitch and the integrated carrier. My concern is that the quality wasn't what I expected for the classic sliders and the rear bumper is more complicated to get right.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? It needs to be rated to tow or use the oem hitch. Integrated carrier isn't "needed" but quality and ease of opening is critical. Must have the ability to install a hi lift. Great quality is a must.

Well, to be honest, the Expedition ONE rear bumper checks all your boxes, as does the AEV.

mastrcruse

That actually is one I've never have heard of. They have one almost perfect. How's their quality? I'll go checkout aev. I like the integrated carrier, oem hitch, rotopax ect.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That actually is one I've never have heard of. They have one almost perfect. How's their quality? I'll go checkout aev. I like the integrated carrier, oem hitch, rotopax ect.

My requirements for a bumper when I was shopping....

Full width that met perfectly with the stock fenders

Ability to carry 2+ rotopax cans of any size (including 4 gallon)

Looked awesome

Built like a tank with an excellent carrier

Linked carrier

OEM hitch

Hi lift mount.

Very few bumpers can do all this. The EXP1 did it all.

mastrcruse

Awesome thanks! I'll be running PSC flares so not sure if I should be looking at mid-widths. Looks like they have different series though.

I do need it bare and not powdered.

I see a core series and trail series but they look similar. Looks like the trail is wider. Any pros/cons of going full width vs mid-width protection wide? PSC rear flares might get in the way of a full width.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Awesome thanks! I'll be running PSC flares so not sure if I should be looking at mid-widths. Looks like they have different series though.

I do need it bare and not powdered.

I see a core series and trail series but they look similar.

Yup. The core series is a "mid width rear" that is designed for flat fenders. If you look carefully the rig in their pic is running flatties.

core-series-rear.jpg
Their customer service has been awesome so you can call them up and talk about your options. They will do an aluminum version for you as well, it's usually around $150 more. If you order from Northridge, you'll save a few bucks with the WOL discount. When I was shopping and doing research, the EXP1 had the biggest, beefiest carrier I came across. I've been running mine for 1 year now, and there is not a single rattle/squeak or rust spot anywhere on the bumper or carrier.

spicoli

Isn't tied to rear gate, opens separately but Shrockworks makes top notch quality products. They will customize for you, and a lot of times at no cost. Uses factory hitch. Very clean design.

The negative to Shrockworks is they take a while to produce and deliver. Each order is built to order. Sucks but if you plan for it, the it's no big deal. I think they are worth the wait but others aren't willing to wait. I've used their products on multiple vehicles in the past, always well designed and they try to use factory holes to minimize altering your vehicle. Expect 4 months for delivery of rear bumper with jerry can mounts and cargo rack.

Let us know if we can be of any help, We have both Shorty and Full length bumpers and 2 different types of tire carriers. I would suggest a shorty bumper if you have aftermarket flat flares. Our tire carriers can carry Hi-lift jacks, Gas can or rotopax cans, and an optional trail rack above the tire, and everything is built right here in house in Indiana to insure the best quality, from the laser cutting to forming to the surface finishing. We also use high strength Armor lite steel thats 2x as strong as regular steel, 2x the yield and 2x the tensile strength, to make them lighter weight without sacrificing any strength. Our hitch is also rated the same as your factory tow rating, our hitch is integrated into the bumper and bolts to the rear crossmember just as your factory one does but since its part of the bumper it also bolts to both frame rails so you are now pulling from both the crossmember and the frame rails vs just the crossmember. We also guarantee all of our products against any mechanical failures. Let us know if we answer any questions and we will be more than happy to. The link to our tire carrier page is below.

LoD Offroad Home page

www.lodoffroad.com

LoD Offroad Rear bumper and tire carrier page

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/home.php?cat=269

Top Bottom