Spare Tire Question

BillTheCat

I went out and purchased 5 Duratrac 315/70R17 tires. I'm going to use the stock wheels (2013 TK Rubicon Unlimited). Is my spare going to fit? My wife is going to kill me if I spend any more $$$ before Christmas.

I went out and purchased 5 Duratrac 315/70R17 tires. I'm going to use the stock wheels (2013 TK Rubicon Unlimited). Is my spare going to fit? My wife is going to kill me if I spend any more $$$ before Christmas.

I'm assuming you mean fit on your tire carrier. You will probably need a wheel spacer

Like already mentioned: Probably going to need one of these.

images

You may also need to extend the bump stops. Just make sure the bumps are touching the tire sufficiently to stop the "wobble".

KJ_CJtoJK

You will not need an offset spacer like shown above. All you need a 1.25" wheel spacer and extend your tailgate bumpstops (replace with Daystar bumpstops).

SFNick

I ran a 315/70R17 on the factory spare bracket with a stock wheel & no modifications for a year.

Last edited:

arturonueve

images

You may also need to extend the bump stops. Just make sure the bumps are touching the tire sufficiently to stop the "wobble".

What is this? Can I use this instead of my teraflex tire carrier?

jeeeep

Hooked

IMO the wheel spacer will be best for your spare, it'll keep the spare flat against the stock carrier which is what you want. A gap between the spare and the carrier may allow it to wobble and that's what causes tailgate issues.

Do you already have spacers for the stock wheels? everyone I know that has that size tire on the stock wheels uses wheel spacers. Spidertrax are most popular but Alloy USA are a little cheaper and both are hub centric.

you can save when ordering from Northridge using the WAYALIFE or SHARK TANK discount code, if one doesn't work try the other.

Last edited:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

images

This with the daystar bumper things is what I have seen before. My question though, is this spacer needed if you're not running a bumper?

SFNick

This with the daystar bumper things is what I have seen before. My question though, is this spacer needed if you're not running a bumper?

Wasn't needed for me. Fit like a glove on the stock carrier. I never had any problems but I wasn't running a rear bumper.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Wasn't needed for me. Fit like a glove on the stock carrier. I never had any problems but I wasn't running a rear bumper.

Thanks for the reply. You didn't use the spacer for the spare either, according to your other post? I may have to try this. I like the spareless look a lot but, the room for gear on a trip would be much better.

Clem319

I just removed my spacer also from the advice of Pignajeep. It fits much closer to the tailgate and the violent shaking is gone. Tailgate opens and closes a lot easier too.

SFNick

Thanks for the reply. You didn't use the spacer for the spare either, according to your other post? I may have to try this. I like the spareless look a lot but, the room for gear on a trip would be much better.

Yep, just put that sucker up there and bolt it down.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A spacer will be needed but I personally would NOT recommend the one that raises the spare upward as was shown in the pic above. With the spare you have, you should find that it just rests on the top of your factory bumper and that should do a great job of adding additional support for it. Also, as mentioned, it's important to make sure that your spare is pressing firmly against the isolators on the tailgate as that is what will prevent it from jiggling and cause tailgate issues.

chipper

Are there any companies that sell just one wheel spacer (1 1/2") for the spare. Seems like I only see pairs.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

A spacer will be needed but I personally would NOT recommend the one that raises the spare upward as was shown in the pic above. With the spare you have, you should find that it just rests on the top of your factory bumper and that should do a great job of adding additional support for it. Also, as mentioned, it's important to make sure that your spare is pressing firmly against the isolators on the tailgate as that is what will prevent it from jiggling and cause tailgate issues.

What do you think about a 35x12.50r17 with no bumper? I'll probably just end up trying it though. Mock it up and see what needs to be done and I can provide pictures to this thread for further input from anyone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any companies that sell just one wheel spacer (1 1/2") for the spare. Seems like I only see pairs.

Yeah, there are and I have done that in the past. Granted, it'll just be some Chinese spacer but, for the spare tire mount, I figured it'd be okay to do the job.

Another thing you might want to check is how much space do you really need? Not every tire will measure up the same and you may find that cutting down your factory tailgate isolators is all that you need to make things work. If needed, you could stack washers on the mounting studs to help make up the difference. I have done this with my old TJ and it worked great.

Top Bottom