TF Terra axle housing Pros & Cons

HILLZ

I know that TeraFlex can be a dirty word on here some times but due to budget and ease of getting things here in Australia I've been looking at what to do in the way of front axle upgrade.
I know the carrier is a waste of time as are some of their mounts but haven't seen much in the way of reviews on their housings.

Pros and Cons please. No bashing just honest feedback.

I would really like to go Dynatrac but the bank account just won't allow it.
I'll only ever run 35's and I don't have the types of terrain here like you guys do with Moab and Rubicon and such, i just want to go stronger than factory and run lockers front and rear.

Will be going on a 2013 JKUS Auto.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Dynatrac is the best you can get but if you really feel the need for an upgraded axle, the least I would do is try to get one from an axle manufacturer and NOT a manufacturer who makes suspension kits, rocker guards and tire carriers that have a history of BREAKING. Any chance you can get your hands on a G2 axle instead? They are priced similarly and are at least the axle division of Transamerica (4wheelparts). I would think they could be found in your neck of the woods.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, with that being the case, I suppose the TeraFlex 44 would be a better than stock option.

computeruser6

I bought a Teraflex R44 housing with 3.25x0.25 tubes that also has extra caster built into it when I had the lift and other accessories installed. I paid about $1750 for it, I paid a less than advertised price because Off-Road Warehouse gave me a discount for doing a bunch of things at once. I have no reason to complain about it, it's given me trouble free performance unlike my stock rear axle which I'm replacing with a Dynatrac Trail 60. The Teraflex housing has bigger tubes than stock (you can also get 0.5" thick tubes), bigger end-forgings, stronger brackets, and a stronger centersection. The only thing where it's pretty much not the equal of a ProRock 44 is the centersection clearance and profile, which actually has made a difference for me sometimes.
I wouldn't base what you're doing off of price though, the quote I received from Dynatrac for a ProRock 44 housing was $2159. On Teraflex's website the advertised price for a Tera44 housing is about $2200. Good luck with whatever you decide.

DSCF3503.JPG

DSCF5113.JPG

Last edited:
If you search through my few posts, you will see that I can not stand TF! But, I feel I am justified due to the bad experiences I personally have had and what I have seen first hand.
Last winter, on a local 4x4 forum(I'm in Utah where TF is) I commented on a rig that I saw being built. A few posts later and I discovered the builder and I had some common friends. He mentioned he had taken up welding a few months earlier and really liked it. He went on to tell me how he had interviewed with TF to weld housings for their axles. He got the job and moved out to SLC where he now welds for them. God for him, right? Here is the kicker for me. I grew up in the oilfield. I know what it takes to be a certified welder and would only want a certified welder welding my housings on my aftermarket axles (he is not certified and only passed a visual welding test for TF). Dynatrac is the only aftermarket axles I will have due to that one little piece of paper! If your planning to spend the money on a TF housing, keep saving a little longer and get quality parts!!! Just my $.02. Best of luck to you!!!!!!

Yeah, I wish I had the close to $7500AUD to throw into an axle but budget and wife will never allow it. :grayno:

One option is to take on odd jobs to help finance the purchase. A buddy has done this for his build. His wife wanted the back porch painted. They got estimates and he told his wife that he would do and took the money and put it towards his build. Again it is an option.

R/
Will

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, with that being the case, I suppose the TeraFlex 44 would be a better than stock option.

OMG...look everyone....Eddie is bashing Ter....oh wait...he isn't....he actually gave sound advice......Go figure....but still, burn him at the stake I say!

OP, if the bank account wont allow for a Dynatrac, you gotta play with what you can, and if the Tera44 is the best you can get for your budget, go for it.

dunstan74

Just out of curiosity hillz how much have you been quoted on getting a dynatrac axle to aus? I know im getting a new front axle at some point down the road.

Tdkrawler

Try jeepkonnection guys.
If I had of known they do dynatrac axle housings, I wouldn't be installing a t44 housing as we speak!
I had also seen that they have brought in currie rock jocks in the past also.
Plus crd stu had no stock when I rang around.
Its got me stuffed why synergy and tereflex are the main brands in aus.
Must be the biggest orofit margin deals etc

HILLZ

Just out of curiosity hillz how much have you been quoted on getting a dynatrac axle to aus? I know im getting a new front axle at some point down the road.

With the searching i've been doing so far and because i would need the complete assembly its going to be around the 7500 mark inc the rear locker and rear ring and pinion then shipping on top puts it close to the 10 grand mark 😢

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do what budget will allow Hillz. obviously if you can get a built pr44 (or even a pr44 housing that uses rubi internals then put in chromo shafts and locker in) thats the best you can get and will last you a long time. im not sure what type of terrain you see but im sure the tera44 will work for you as well. just make sure you research all possible shipping options for all of them. if its only a few hundred more the the pro rock in the end i say save for that.

HILLZ

Do what budget will allow Hillz. obviously if you can get a built pr44 (or even a pr44 housing that uses rubi internals then put in chromo shafts and locker in) thats the best you can get and will last you a long time. im not sure what type of terrain you see but im sure the tera44 will work for you as well. just make sure you research all possible shipping options for all of them. if its only a few hundred more the the pro rock in the end i say save for that.

Yeah if it was only a few hundred I'd go the Dynatrac but I'm looking at a difference of a couple thousand, just looking at the Tera30 so I don't have to buy a new centre or shafts. that way I'm getting more strength and only need to buy housing, lockers and re-gear for front and rear. for the types of terrain I hit here that will be plenty. as the Jeep sits now it is way more capable than I am. just like the thought of having the option of locking the axles and not relying on the traction control to get me up or through the tougher stuff, plus have the control and not be spitting rocks at those behind me.
Yes I know i'll still cop a bashing for just doing a beefier D30 up front and for going with TF but it's all i'll need and it suits my budget.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah if it was only a few hundred I'd go the Dynatrac but I'm looking at a difference of a couple thousand, just looking at the Tera30 so I don't have to buy a new centre or shafts. that way I'm getting more strength and only need to buy housing, lockers and re-gear for front and rear. for the types of terrain I hit here that will be plenty. as the Jeep sits now it is way more capable than I am. just like the thought of having the option of locking the axles and not relying on the traction control to get me up or through the tougher stuff, plus have the control and not be spitting rocks at those behind me.
Yes I know i'll still cop a bashing for just doing a beefier D30 up front and for going with TF but it's all i'll need and it suits my budget.

HILLZ what's gears are you running? I ask cause I believe the Tera30 housing is the same size as stock. If that's the case Locking it would leave you with the same potential issues as locking the stock d30 housing.

HILLZ

HILLZ what's gears are you running? I ask cause I believe the Tera30 housing is the same size as stock. If that's the case Locking it would leave you with the same potential issues as locking the stock d30 housing.

Going 4.88's to match the 35's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? You're seriously considering a Tera30?? Honestly, please don't waste your money on that complete waste of money. A bent housing is far from something you need to concern yourself with and really, that's the only thing one would help prevent. Certainly, a bent housing won't keep you from driving around and without any issues other than poor tire wear and really, the only people who are really at risk of a bent housing are those who are into driving hard and fast in the desert. Your axle shafts and ring and pinion will still be your weak link and ultimately, what will leave you high and dry WHEN they break. The whole point of upgrading your axle should be to beef up the internal components and a Dana 44 or bigger is the way you do that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see the benefit in buying the teraflex d30. Your better off with keeping the front open.

Complete waste of money and honestly, I wanted to kick Teraflex in the nuts when they released it. People really need to get over the idea that they somehow need a stronger housing and need to realize that beefing up their internal components need to take precedence. The housing being stronger is just icing on the cake.

Top Bottom