Stingers... What are they for?

SilverBack

Please let me start by saying this is a genuine question! I understand wanting to protect the front of your jeep from impacts, scratches and maybe even protect it in case of a roll over. This makes sense to me!
However, what makes a Stinger better than a old style hoop on the bumper?
Please teach me why they are so popular and why I should invest in one.
I think some stingers are cooler than shit and others are just way over the top. I need some learnin!

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
To look cool, for venison, to protect your jeep and not the vehicle hitting yours,

Lots of images on the net of jeeps going over an obstacle and can prevent some cases from a complete head over heels role over.

roll.jpg rollq.jpg

Last edited:

A Stinger (or hoop for that matter) without proper gusseting and support, is nothing more than decoration. Stinger will help prevent a roll, like the pics above. Proper angle and length will do what they're designed for..the super long ones, I am not sure what they 'do' other than make your jeep longer than it already is (4dr's, obvi)

J_KaBoB417

From what I've learned over the years, it's mainly for two reasons. Like others here have said, one being roll overs. And two being for steep entrances. It will aid in sliding the front of your vehicle up and down steep grades.

spinuck

From what I've learned over the years, it's mainly for two reasons. Like others here have said, one being roll overs. And two being for steep entrances. It will aid in sliding the front of your vehicle up and down steep grades.

In no way trying to be a smartass, I haven't seen anyone use it to slide up a ledge to the point that their wheels make contact. Especially if the ledge is as high as the tip of the stinger. Anyone have a video of this? Seems like a good way to damage an otherwise good bumper.

Last edited:

J_KaBoB417

In no way trying to be a smartass, I haven't seen anyone use it to slide up a ledge to the point that their wheels make contact. Especially if the ledge is as high as the tip of the stinger. Anyone have a video of this? Seems like a good way to damage an otherwise good bumper.

I definitely see what you are saying, and I agree. I'm just saying from experiences that I've had that I've seen them work well in hill descents. It you have a stinger that is functional and able to withstand some moderate abuse(which I've built them in the past too)you could use them in instances you descend into a deep ditch and instead of hitting you normal let's say stocker, the stinger will give you sort of a ramp seeing as that it sticks out significantly. No offense taken! Just thought that video was funny ahaha

JayKay

Caught the Bug
In rare cases nothing at all View attachment 113140

Stingers will also create added leverage on the front frame rails during a front end collision causing more severe damage than what would have occurred without a stinger as the photo shows. Saw this all the time when I worked in a body shop. Not with stingers on jeeps in particular, but with the big Texas push bars guys put on their trucks to "protect the front end when hitting a deer". In an actual front end accident, they cause more expensive damage than just cosmetic and some mechanical damage.

Sorry to get way off topic, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pic

Top Bottom