Another manufacturer claiming installer error

A couple months ago, I purchased a Centerforce Clutch thru 4WP in preparation for a trip to the Rubicon. I removed the OEM clutch and pressure plate and installed the Centerforce clutch according to their own labeling, it went together nice and smooth. After putting my rig back together, I fire it up and try putting it into gear only to find out it won't engage at all.
Pressed for time (and peer pressure), I spend the rest of the night removing it and reinstalling the original OEM clutch so we could go on the Rubicon run.
I returned the Centerforce clutch to 4WP and they contacted Centerforce directly to inquire about a refund or exchange and they were requested by Centerforce to return it to them to be "inspected" and installed on one of their so-called test rigs prior to them issuing a refund or replacement.
After having the clutch at their facility for the last two months I was just informed that they see nothing wrong with it and will not refund or replace the clutch and that they feel it was installed incorrectly even when pictures of the two clutches sitting side by side were provided which clearly show they are not the same.
Here is a pic of the Centerforce clutch installed on my rig ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417556348.760775.jpg and here is another of them sitting side by side. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417556442.671260.jpg But yet, they see nothing wrong and are returning what boils down to a $400 paperweight to me.

Edit: 4WP is not to blame here. This was a special order item thru them. Had this been an item typically stocked by them it would have been replaced or refunded without question, but they are equally at the mercy of Centerforce on this issue.

Last edited:
If you had gone with OEM you would not be out $400. ;)

But really it isn't about wether it's OEM or aftermarket, it's about yet another company passing the buck and blaming an error on their part on "installer error" rather than trying to correct the issue.

noroad

wow sorry to hear that man, that suck, thanks for the heads up as i was looking to do mine before the rubicon as well. Let me know what you end up doing!

Speeddmn

Atleast you got your clutch, I ordered a Spec 3+ for my mustang mamy moons ago. You have a paper weight, I got a reciept and after 3 years of trying to get my 400 bucks back, i chalked it up and said never again will i buy from XXXXXXX Company.

pastorwug

It's not so funny how companies stick you with parts that they know won't fit but will "special order" the part for you.

I've got a beautiful carbon fibre rear wing for a MINI Cooper Clubman JCW as a door stop - $400, but high speed and low drag. :cheesy:

jeeeep

Hooked
that's the dual friction clutch? did you get a new throw out bearing to go with it? using your old throw out bearing may be the issue if you didn't replace it.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Man that is pretty crappy. $400 is nothing to snub your nose at. Pretty disappointing that this would be their response. Did they include any fact sheets, video or other instructions which would assist in attempting a reinstall?

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes, dual friction clutch and new TOB which is also the same brand.

hmm only other things I can think of are the flywheel and throw out bearing transmission post confirm it's not hanging up.

Maybe when you get it back it'll still be assembled the way they tested it. Might be worth a call to see what model they tested it on?

I've also run into problems where I didn't have the clutch aligned perfectly and the fingers weren't pressing even all around - luckily my brother-in-law (mechanically better than me) looked at it and noticed it wasn't even all around. Don't know how I managed to get it uneven but I did...

HILLZ

did you remember to put the release bearing back in and the right way round? silly question but I've seen so many people get the trans back in and all buttoned up and boom there's the release bearing still sitting on the side. :cheesy:

jeeeep

Hooked
So what you are saying is the center raised spline section in the photo does not interfere with the flywheel?

no it doesn't interfere with the flywheel. but, the pilot bearing would, I'd take a look at the pilot bearing it may need replacing. clutches are fairly easy but never straight forward :icon_crazy:

Top Bottom