Aftermarket lighting issue

Regnar

Hey all,

So I replaced my front bumper with a Smittybilt XRC front bumper. With that I have to replace my driving lights. I'm trying to use my existing wiring harness and switch the was used on the OEM lights. I wired some new PIAA 55Watt 12V lights in and they are flickering and turning off intermediately. Checked the voltage on its only putting out 8V. Any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe your problem is in the watts as it needs to be the exact same as the factory fogs. If memory serves me right, they need to be 50w. There is a fix for this and I'm pretty sure Trail Bud has done it. Might want to send a PM to him if nobody else chimes in sooner.

thardy

Banned
There was actually a thread discussing a similar issue with Rigid Duallys yesterday. I had the same issue back when I installed my D2's and ended up adding a switch and running them separately.

Overlander mentioned that he was running a light bar off of his OEM switch and did so by adding a relay.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Use the OEM power wire as the switch trigger for a relay and hook the new lights into the relay just like you would any set of aftermarket lights.

I did that to run Rigid 2x2's off the factory fog switch and it worked fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Use the OEM power wire as the switch trigger for a relay and hook the new lights into the relay just like you would any set of aftermarket lights.

LOL!! I need to hire you to do all my lighting :cheesy:

2013CGJKU

^This. Works like a charm.

RubiHB

I'm brand new, but I'm happy to draw up a wiring diagram of how to do it if you'd like. Done tons of them over the years for folks.

RubiHB

Regnar, do your new lights plug into the same socket as the factory fog/driving lights? If not I imagine you already cut the connectors off of the factory harness, which is good news. Also, did you get just the new lights, or did it come with a relay, fuse, switch harness? If it did, we can do a simple simple mod to it to make it work with your new lights so less actual work for you.

Will still draw up a plane wiring diagram for those interested.

Regnar

thanks for all the replies! been busy last couple days :( They are PIAA 4 inch 12V 55Watt driving lights. They came with a wiring harness. Not an electrical genius so it's been a pain in my butt. A diagram would be great. Hopefully I can ready it ;)

KenB1010

I would of never thought to use the factory switch to fire a aftermarket relay. I'm guessing that in using the factory fog light switch that whatever you wire to it will turn off when the high beams are on. This this correct?

I would of never thought to use the factory switch to fire a aftermarket relay. I'm guessing that in using the factory fog light switch that whatever you wire to it will turn off when the high beams are on. This this correct?

Unless you use a procal and reprogram it

shortyokc

Haha.. funny my schematic is making its way around☺. My 2014 jku doesn't kill my fog lights when activated. They are on as long as the switch is pulled out

Top Bottom