Protek skid install with exhaust spacers

Coloradan

I just got my EVO Protek skids and I'm looking to install them, but the crossmember skid won't bolt flush because my exhaust spacers push the exhaust down below the transmission crossmember. Probably no harm in just installing the rest of the system without that skid, but is the only solution an aftermarket front driveshaft and removing the exhaust spacers? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417908501.341220.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As you have discovered, you cannot install the EVO Protek cross member skid with an exhaust spacer. I believe you should be able to make this work with an aFe y-pipe kit but really, a new front drive shaft is really what you should be getting. EVEN IF you spacers help to prevent the slip shaft boot from making contact on your exhaust cross over, the constant pinch your output shaft cv boot is in will cause it to fail sooner than later. A new u-joint style double cardan shaft will address this as well.

Coloradan

As you have discovered, you cannot install the EVO Protek cross member skid with an exhaust spacer. I believe you should be able to make this work with an aFe y-pipe kit but really, a new front drive shaft is really what you should be getting. EVEN IF you spacers help to prevent the slip shaft boot from making contact on your exhaust cross over, the constant pinch your output shaft cv boot is in will cause it to fail sooner than later. A new u-joint style double cardan shaft will address this as well.

Sounds like that'll be my next purchase, any brands you recommend for driveshafts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like that'll be my next purchase, any brands you recommend for driveshafts?

I personally would recommend a JE Reel as they come standard with made in the USA Neapco u-joints. I have run half a dozen of their shafts over the years and have found all of them to be solid. I have also run multiple Coast shafts over the years and have found them to be good as well. They come standard with Spicer u-joints. I have also run several custom shafts made by local shafts using both u-joints and have found them to be right on too. What I wouldn't recommend is a Tom Woods drive shaft as they come standard with cheap Chinese u-joints and many times, not even balanced.

CedarRaider

I knew there was more than one reason I bought a JE Reel to replace my brand new stock driveshaft when I lifted it. The last piece of my protek will be here on Monday and will be putting it on Wednesday.

lulu2533

The Protek skids were one of my first purchases. When I installed my lift, I also put on an Adams front ds. Very nice.

Top Bottom