Axles and gearing ???

RGolie13

Hello again everyone,

So the ultimate plan for my jeep (bone stock right now) is for it to be a crawler. What I am planning now is just a parts list and to shop the parts and buy them over time. Then once my warranty is out I will upgrade most of it.

First question what size axles come on a 2013 JK Sport, and what gearing. Silly me I thought the guys in the Jeep service department could tell me, but after I was transferred to the third person and asked to hold again I gave up. Next is the gearing. I want to set it up so that 1st gear is only for crawling. Road driving will be 2nd-6th gear. I believe the number I read somewhere was 5.19 will that get my my desired affect? Next what size axles should I go with? 44 front and rear or 60. Tire size will probably never go above a 37, and lift at 4.5 when I am finished. Last thing for now are bead locks safe for highway travel?:thankyou: :naw: Ok I lied... Any good video's out there showing how to change the gearing yourself?

Later y'all :standing wave:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello again everyone,

So the ultimate plan for my jeep (bone stock right now) is for it to be a crawler. What I am planning now is just a parts list and to shop the parts and buy them over time. Then once my warranty is out I will upgrade most of it.

First question what size axles come on a 2013 JK Sport, and what gearing. Silly me I thought the guys in the Jeep service department could tell me, but after I was transferred to the third person and asked to hold again I gave up. Next is the gearing. I want to set it up so that 1st gear is only for crawling. Road driving will be 2nd-6th gear. I believe the number I read somewhere was 5.19 will that get my my desired affect? Next what size axles should I go with? 44 front and rear or 60. Tire size will probably never go above a 37, and lift at 4.5 when I am finished. Last thing for now are bead locks safe for highway travel?:thankyou: :naw: Ok I lied... Any good video's out there showing how to change the gearing yourself?

Later y'all :standing wave:

All Sports come with a Dana 30 up front and a Dana 44 in the rear. Most come with a 3.73 ratio but plenty come with 3.21 as well. If you're planning to run 37's, I personally would recommend that you at least upgrade your front axle to a Dynatrac Prorock 44. Your rear axle will hold up okay but, if you can afford it, a Prorock 60 is the way to go for sure. With 37's, a 5.38 gear ratio will give you extra power but, it'll leave you with a really small pinion in a Dana 44. If you stick with 44's, I would go with a 5.13 ratio. As far as beadlocks go, sure, totally safe. :yup:

RGolie13

I sure can't afford it right now, But I am slowly building my "wife doesn't know" savings. Talked with Dynatrac, they quoted me $5,281 for the ProRock 44. Looks like I am going to be heading down the same path as the rest of they guys on here. Looking for things to sell that is.:doh:

Top Bottom