Help! EVO lower control arm install

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Trying to install new front lower control arms on my JK. No instructions. Was told to do one at a time. Measured before installing, but now holes won't line up on axle side mount. Am I doing this correctly? Is there a trick I am missing? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417988350.726959.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417988360.889715.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417988370.570986.jpg

Roscoj

Shorten the control arm. After you get the bolt in you can adjust length on the jeep with the double adjusters.

Or jack up one side of the axle until the bolt will align.

David1tontj

You can try jacking on the tie rod just a bit.

While you're at it, just try ramming the tie rod into something big... That's sure to work.

Of coarse I'm kidding... Not sure I'd ever intentionally put that stress on steering components. Unless of coarse you are trying to bend back a bent tie rod.

While you're at it, just try ramming the tie rod into something big... That's sure to work.

Of coarse I'm kidding... Not sure I'd ever intentionally put that stress on steering components. Unless of coarse you are trying to bend back a bent tie rod.

Hahahah....I was only trying to share what worked for me. I actually stole the idea from http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment, post #4.............
I think the quote goes something like this. "IF you determine that the axle mount needs to rotate down and back, place a floor jack under the tie-rod as close to the joint as possible and raise it up slowly until the holes line up." Thanks Eddie for all the great tips!!!!

Stegertime

Caught the Bug

Ha ha ha 😄✌️

David1tontj

Hahahah....I was only trying to share what worked for me. I actually stole the idea from http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment, post #4.............
I think the quote goes something like this. "IF you determine that the axle mount needs to rotate down and back, place a floor jack under the tie-rod as close to the joint as possible and raise it up slowly until the holes line up." Thanks Eddie for all the great tips!!!!

It's all good. I was just imagining someone trying to jack up the whole front of their rig by the tie rod.
Of coarse, being as far off to the side would help too.

I had to type carefully, because as I was saying that I wouldn't ever do it, I was thinking of all the times I've rammed my tie rod into stumps to try to straighten it out. 😁

T&ERun

LOSER
All you have to do is rotate the axle to get the holes to line up. When the Jeep is up on stands (on the frame, either front or back depending on which axle you are working on), use a jack to raise either a forward part of the axle (I've used a swaybar endlink tab before) or a rearward part of the axle (I always use the tail end of the pumpkin/or diff housing). It will line up very easy this way. You just have to look at it and determine if the axle has to rotate forward or back.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
All you have to do is rotate the axle to get the holes to line up. When the Jeep is up on stands (on the frame, either front or back depending on which axle you are working on), use a jack to raise either a forward part of the axle (I've used a swaybar endlink tab before) or a rearward part of the axle (I always use the tail end of the pumpkin/or diff housing). It will line up very easy this way. You just have to look at it and determine if the axle has to rotate forward or back.

His jeep was on the ground. It's more work then needed to put the jeep on jack stands just to install lower control arms.

StrizzyChris

X2, on the link I also used a rachet strap wrapped on the axle and the frame/crossmember to help move the axle to align the hole with the bolt....

This is what I do if I need to shift the axle. Ratchet strap and find a fixed point on the frame in the direction you need to pull the axle towards. :yup:

Top Bottom