Hardtop to soft top switch ?'s

jfallon1

So I'm considering sellin my hardtop and getting a bestop trektop nx. Has anyone done this already and regretted it? I understand there will be an increase in wind noise, but how bad is it? Would you recommend a different brand? Thanks and I'll appreciate any input.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

We have on with a hard top and one without (both run nitto trail grapples which are quite 35s/37s) the sounds is a little more but not to the point where you cant talk on the phone like in old jeeps. I dont think you will find it a problem, maybe take a ride in a jeep with a soft top should be to hard to find in Mississippi or hell test drive one at the deal for free lol.

LeighP

Personally, I wouldn't sell the hardtop......at least not until you've lived with the soft top for quite a while, maybe a year.
I'd store the hardtop some place.

I actually still have my hard top but found a Trek Top NX on craigslist for a lot less. As for the wind noise I have a little more because of my sport cage and me not getting my windshield exactly back to where it was when it came out of the factory. If I had to do again I would. the best part of the Trek Top NX is the ability to convert it into a bikini top in a matter of minutes and back to an enclosed soft top. If you have the space I would keep the hard top just in case you decide one day you or SWMBO says she wants it back on

R/
Will

curtiso504

Mine came with hardtop which I removed very shortly after getting home. There is not a lot of difference in noise in mine. It is a 2010 I bought used. I'm keeping the hardtop for a while longer before I sell. Winters are mild in the south.

jfallon1

How are long commutes? My ohv parks are 5 to 6 hours away at the closest,and I don't wanna pull my hair out by the time I get there. My buddies old TJ had a softop that flapped against the soundbar. Drove him insane just on a 15 minute ride to school.

noroad

How are long commutes? My ohv parks are 5 to 6 hours away at the closest,and I don't wanna pull my hair out by the time I get there. My buddies old TJ had a softop that flapped against the soundbar. Drove him insane just on a 15 minute ride to school.

I drive a ton with it 6 hour rides to RC and 3 hour rides to the cabin not problems!

davantalus

TLDR: Soft is fun but annoying, Hard is boring but practical.
LeighP is right - Don't sell your hardtop.

I can't speak to the trektop... but I do own the OEM soft and hardtops (2013 JKUR).

Noisewise - I listen to music with the volume at "18" with the soft top installed, and "15" with the hard top. ~5 when the vehicle is not in motion. I'll insert ear plugs on long trips with either top on. (I live in california and also know those 6 hours drives).

I've had some issues with fitment of my particular soft top. It started with the windows not sealing into the door seam very well... ended with breaking a zipper and almost losing a window on the freeway. I gather this isn't usual, but there's not really anything I can do about it since I bought it aftermarket from a guy who bought the "dual top group" (exact same year, model, etc) and didn't use his soft top.

The zippers get jammed with dust after you've been out on the trail. I jammed the back window pretty good and now it's a total PITA to open. Not sure if this is unusual or not.

The hardtop has been worry free however it's only rained on me a few times. Its way less fun during the dry months though.

I do find its much harder to camp or pack for camping with the soft top installed. Good luck putting the top down when you're stacked to the gills with camping and stuff... and I feel less secure with my stuff in the back.

If you do buy a softtop, do yourself a favor and buy a spydershade or similar too.

Last edited:

upnover

Sell it. Drove cross country with the soft top. Haven't had my hardtop in over two years. Went through the cold northern winter last year, just had the heat going. I have the factory premium top.

bthomas

FWIW, I have a 12 that came with a hardtop, after a few years I found a good deal on CL for a Trek top NX, it was fun, versatile & easy, (sounds like a good woman!) but I had to pull off my rear headrests so they didn't bulge the rear window out, and I had some flapping that I couldn't seem to get worked out. A few months later, another ad popped up for an un used factory soft top from a 2012 dual top option. Needless to say, the hard top hasn't been on since. I really like my factory softy, but I won't sell the hard top anytime soon, just in case, I'd never spend the money to buy another if I later regretted selling it. My softy is hardly any louder than the hard top, and doesn't flap like my NX did. If you end up looking for a used factory top, there are a few differences in the newer years, different surrounds, and a slightly bigger back window, and I think a different header, and my rear corners have a plastic stiffener in the sail panels. Also mine is a 2 door, I have no experience with a 4dr.

jfallon1

I may end up waiting closer the spring. Or at least wait until northridge or quadratec is running a sale on bestop

jfallon1

Found one on Craigslist fir $400, I'll be jumping all over it. Picking it up in a week. Brand new, never been used and still in box.

holy_crap

If you can, wait and find a newer premium twill top. I have one on my 2014 and it is much quieter and nicer that my softy on my old 2010. My 2014 came with a hard top and like you I found a brand new never used premium twill on CL, I paid around $700 for mine and sold my hard top for $1500.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
i did this same thing and don't regret it! but part of the reason i did it is because i moved to california.
I cannot speak for how the Trek top or any soft top is in colder weather.

JK505

FWIW, I just traded my hardtop and a couple hundred bucks for a soft top and a new front axle. I wouldn't trade straight across for the soft top. The wind noise was a little louder than I thought, have to use your "outside voice" to talk to somebody on the highway, but I consider that part of owning a jeep! The hard top was boring, a pain to take off and put back on. Turn latches, panels out, okay now Bolts out, lift off. Just to reverse for some quick rain. Keep it and get a soft top if you want to remain practical, I just tell everyone it's a jeep and to deal with it or walk!

Top Bottom