How to fix and upgrade the transfer case linkage

dannymalkin

I recently broke my bushing on the transfer case shifter. I was not even trying to shift it when it broke, it just stopped working when I tried to use it. Below is a photo of how it looked when I got to it.

1418182835389.jpg

1418182855480.jpg

As you can see, you could hold the link on the shifter to shift to different gears with the console off. So here is an explanation of how to do this if it breaks on the trail. Also, the other end of the linkage is located directly above the front driveshaft of you would rather try to manually shift the transfer case.

- Remove the four torx bolts that hold the console in place. Two in front, two in the rear.

- Remove the transfer case shifter knob by pulling really hard and twisting side to side at the same time.

- Pull the e brake lever to its absolute highest position.

- (Manual transmission) Unclip the shifter boot from the console.

- Now remove the console by pulling up on the rear of the center console until it clears the e brake handle.

--- Now you are able to access the linkage and if you are on the trail you can hold it together to shift into or out of gear.

Here is a pic of the interior with the console removed.

1418182928213.jpg

For the permanent fix, the new bushing cost me $3.50 from the stealership. Once the bushing was on and fixed, I decided to add a slight modification so it will never come off again. I drilled an incredibly small hole (and broke a drill bit as well) and put a small hitch pin through the hole so that even if the bushing breaks again, it will not slip off.

1418182962088.jpg

1418182979969.jpg

Top Bottom