2015 skids?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get some protection for my '15 JKUR for reassurance while wheeling. The jeep is on stock suspension + tires (for now) and I want to keep it that way for a while (once it's lifted, it will no longer fit in the parking garage, so then I'll have to move and blah blah blah)

Anyway, I'm liking the EVO Protec skids (manual tranny)
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO.ProTek.Manual.Trans.SkidPlate

And the oil pan plate (no link because app can't save a thread draft)

The concern is that these specify year models that correspond to the 3.8l, not the newer 3.6, so you guys with the newer 3.6, what are you running for oil pan protection?

Is there any other skids that I should look in to getting? I'm not one to disregard the factory pieces without reasoning, and from Eddies write ups it looks like the oil pan is the only real lacking area...

Thanks in advance.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get some protection for my '15 JKUR for reassurance while wheeling. The jeep is on stock suspension + tires (for now) and I want to keep it that way for a while (once it's lifted, it will no longer fit in the parking garage, so then I'll have to move and blah blah blah)

Anyway, I'm liking the EVO Protec skids (manual tranny)
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO.ProTek.Manual.Trans.SkidPlate

And the oil pan plate (no link because app can't save a thread draft)

The concern is that these specify year models that correspond to the 3.8l, not the newer 3.6, so you guys with the newer 3.6, what are you running for oil pan protection?

Is there any other skids that I should look in to getting? I'm not one to disregard the factory pieces without reasoning, and from Eddies write ups it looks like the oil pan is the only real lacking area...

Thanks in advance.

here is the 3.6 protek system
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-PROTEK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a manual transmission, an oil pan skid is the only thing you really need. The EVO oil pan skid is what I would recommend but, I have run a Rancho one in the past as well and it worked great too.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If you have a manual transmission, an oil pan skid is the only thing you really need. The EVO oil pan skid is what I would recommend but, I have run a Rancho one in the past as well and it worked great too.

I have a manual. But OffroadEvolution doesn't have a 3.6 oil pan only skid on their site... They only have the 3.8

Wethy

so.... what your saying is that the protek system isnt needed on a manual? just the oil pan skid? or did you mean other than the protek skids the only thing needed is the oil pan skid? i did read the write up... a long time ago. and i've since forgotten. cuz if thats the case it may be on the short list of things to buy

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
so.... what your saying is that the protek system isnt needed on a manual? just the oil pan skid? or did you mean other than the protek skids the only thing needed is the oil pan skid? i did read the write up... a long time ago. and i've since forgotten. cuz if thats the case it may be on the short list of things to buy

The only thing I ordered (my jeep has a manual transmission) is the oil pan skid per Eddies' recommendation. :thumb:

Jiffy05

The whole system isn't necessary to have. Just the oil pan is the only thing you really have to worry about.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The auto tranny has an exposed line that really needs protection. The manual doesn't *need* it, but me personally, I'd sleep better knowing that there is a skid under the tranny, keeping that branch from sticking into it. Yes, it's overkill, but I like my sleep. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 2012-up JK's with an automatic transmission does have an exposed cooler line that should be protected but, it and the older 3.8L motor with an automatic both have a sump pan that can benefit from protection as well. Manuals do not have any cooler lines or sump pan to worry about and that's why a skid is not needed. In the 20+ years I have wheeled manual transmissions, I have yet to find a need to armor one up. But, that of course is just me. :yup:

holy_crap

I have a question for those running the Evo skids. From this point of view, (got the image from another forum) it appears that the Evo skid would rake in a lot of debris in between the skid and the exhaust pipe. Here is South FL, a lot of our trails are overgrown and we end up with a lot of grass on the undercarriage. I'm concerned that with this setup, some of that grass would get in between the skid and the exhaust and catch on fire.

Also, the gap between the oil pan skid and the exhaust crossmember skid seems like a nice little pocket to get hung on, other skids I've seen provide a continuous surface from the oil pan to the transmission crossmember which act like a slide in any high centered situations.

Anyone with similar wheeling environments that have these skids have any input?

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question for those running the Evo skids. From this point of view, (got the image from another forum) it appears that the Evo skid would rake in a lot of debris in between the skid and the exhaust pipe. Here is South FL, a lot of our trails are overgrown and we end up with a lot of grass on the undercarriage. I'm concerned that with this setup, some of that grass would get in between the skid and the exhaust and catch on fire.

LOL!! Don't know what forum you found that photo on but, it's one that I took :crazyeyes: :D

To answer your question, if you're worried about it, don't run the skid. Being that you're in Florida, I doubt you'll even need it and if you ever do get to a point where you beat up your cross member, just replace it with a Poison Spyder HD cross member or the like. That's what I ended up doing. :yup:

Also, the gap between the oil pan skid and the exhaust crossmember skid seems like a nice little pocket to get hung on, other skids I've seen provide a continuous surface from the oil pan to the transmission crossmember which act like a slide in any high centered situations.Anyone with similar wheeling environments that have these skids have any input?

Honestly, I think your imagination is getting the better of you here. While I'm all for running an oil pan skid, the odds that you will ever hit it are slim at best and even more so in your neck of the woods. Hell, I don't even run an oil pan skid on my 2007 JK being that I now have an LS. But hey, if you want to install a heavy set of skids that make servicing your Jeep difficult, knock yourself out. :yup:

noroad

Agree^^^ and if you do dent your oil pan its only like 30 bucks to replace (+/- a couple bucks)!

Last edited:

holy_crap

Honestly, I think your imagination is getting the better of you here. While I'm all for running an oil pan skid, the odds that you will ever hit it are slim at best and even more so in your neck of the woods. Hell, I don't even run an oil pan skid on my 2007 JK being that I now have an LS. But hey, if you want to install a heavy set of skids that make servicing your Jeep difficult, knock yourself out. :yup:

LOL, yeah my imagination seems to run ahead of me sometimes. Thanks for your help.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Agree^^^ and if you do dent your oil pan its only like 30 bucks to replace (+/- a couple bucks)!

Well, denting it would be nice, but if you puncture it, you can drain your oil, starve your motor, and kill it. It can turn into an incredibly expensive day out, not to mention, if you are somewhere deep in the bush, you'll have a really bad day. No trail fixes for a punctured oil pan (if punctured bad enough) and if you seize your motor from no oil pressure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, denting it would be nice, but if you puncture it, you can drain your oil, starve your motor, and kill it. It can turn into an incredibly expensive day out, not to mention, if you are somewhere deep in the bush, you'll have a really bad day. No trail fixes for a punctured oil pan (if punctured bad enough) and if you seize your motor from no oil pressure.

But, the one thing that most people tend to overlook is the fact that your oil pan is practically situated over your axle - definitely between your tires and so long as you're picking a good line, keeping your tires ON the obstacle instead of under your rig like you're supposed to, listening to your spotter and not doing anything stupid - it's actually REALLY HARD to hit your oil pan in the first place. The only times I've ever hit my oil pan in the past has been when playing on really tough and loose rock gardens and the hits were always at a very slow speed. Even without a skid, the hits just put a dent in the pan. Any time I have seen or heard of a pan getting punctured, the guy driving was an idiot. But again, that's just what I've seen.

JAGS

Hooked
- it's actually REALLY HARD to hit your oil pan in the first place. The only times I've ever hit my oil pan in the past has been when playing on really tough and loose rock gardens and the hits were always at a very slow speed. Even without a skid, the hits just put a dent in the pan. Any time I have seen or heard of a pan getting punctured, the guy driving was an idiot. But again, that's just what I've seen.

This is why I got an oil pan skid. LMAO. 😂😂 Cheap insurance more to protect me from myself. And I may not always have you as a spotter. 😉 ha ha.

Top Bottom