CB Radio with or Without Bluetooth

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Im looking into possible getting a CB here shortly. Im wondering what people get Bluetooth CB's for; is it worth the extra money or should i just get the standard setup?

toxicwaste29

The only thing I could think of is hands free vs having to talk into a microphone. I have a regular cb and never heard of a Bluetooth one before seeing this post.

Maybe one of the truck drivers will chime in. For me I have the standard one and if I need to make a call while busy that is what the co pilot is for.

Wardell

The only ones I've seen are to let you use your phone with the CB's handset and speaker. They aren't for a wireless CB handset (or to use the CB wirelessly with uconnect or anything similar). It's kinda pointless when you consider the same distracted driving law that makes it illegal to hold a cell phone while driving also makes it illegal to hold a CB handset while driving. The only people this would be useful to are truckers, since they are exempt for CBs, at least until the market comes out with a hands free alternative.

jeeeep

Hooked
my CB has BT, it only works for the phone but have never used it since I use the stereo head unit for hands free talking.

Indefatigable

It's kinda pointless when you consider the same distracted driving law that makes it illegal to hold a cell phone while driving also makes it illegal to hold a CB handset while driving. The only people this would be useful to are truckers, since they are exempt for CBs, at least until the market comes out with a hands free alternative.

I think you are wrong in this regard. The distracted driving law prohibits a cell phone yes, and any portable CB or other similar radio (ie HAM -VHF/UHF). There is an exemption across the board for a mic with PTT button. Usually for a mobile unit, but also applies to a portable with a mic plugged into it. Catch is the portable must be fixed in place. You can only use the mic and the PTT button. No programing or such while driving. It is not a trucker thing, it is for everyone. Besides, what trucker still uses CB? All the ones I know run commercial VHF with their license from IC.

This is the first I have heard of a CB with BT.

Wardell

I think you are wrong in this regard. The distracted driving law prohibits a cell phone yes, and any portable CB or other similar radio (ie HAM -VHF/UHF). There is an exemption across the board for a mic with PTT button. Usually for a mobile unit, but also applies to a portable with a mic plugged into it. Catch is the portable must be fixed in place. You can only use the mic and the PTT button. No programing or such while driving. It is not a trucker thing, it is for everyone. Besides, what trucker still uses CB? All the ones I know run commercial VHF with their license from IC.

This is the first I have heard of a CB with BT.

You really have to check your local laws, because they can be pretty different province by province or state by state, particularly when it comes to CBs and other two way radios. Take a look at Alberta for example, it's the most restrictive I've seen as far as this goes. (The "certain commercial purposes" they are referring to are truckers.)

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Maybe one of the truck drivers will chime in. For me I have the standard one and if I need to make a call while busy that is what the co pilot is for.

Thats a good point. co pilots are always nice. i was thinking standard CB would work but was wondering what people would purchase a Blue Tooth one for. I can see it would be nice being able to answer calls coming through with it. but really, is there any other use for Blue Tooth CB?
besides, are you going to have cell services most the time where you will be out wheeling?

Indefatigable

You really have to check your local laws, because they can be pretty different province by province or state by state, particularly when it comes to CBs and other two way radios. Take a look at Alberta for example, it's the most restrictive I've seen as far as this goes. (The "certain commercial purposes" they are referring to are truckers.)

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm

Looks like Alberta only went half way with the amendment. CB still no go, but VHF - Amateur Radio operators are OK to use.

Licenced Radio Amateurs have partial exemption in the Regulation as follows:

"Exempt classes of individuals
3(1) Pursuant to section 115.1(1) of the Act, an individual who
holds a radio operator certificate issued under the
Radiocommunication Act (Canada) may drive or operate a vehicle
on a highway while holding, viewing or manipulating a 2-way
radio communication device."
"

This is a pretty standard exemption in any of the no hand held device legislations passed. Amateur Radio Operators get away with a lot, another reason to get licensed :)
But the way it reads, if you are licensed, you can use the CB too!

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
ok so i read that 2/3 of the antenna need to be extended above the roof height. is this so that there is no radio interruptions with the jeep radio or what is the reasoning?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
ok so i read that 2/3 of the antenna need to be extended above the roof height. is this so that there is no radio interruptions with the jeep radio or what is the reasoning?

the Tip should clear the roof line for reception purposes. the higher above the roof the better the reception. mine sits about 1' above my soft top (running a 3' firestick)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

The more the better, but 2/3 is an exageration to say the least. I used to have a setup where it was just an inch or two above the roof line and it worked perfect on trails. As long as you have things tuned properly, you'll be fine for trail use for sure.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I ended up finding a good deal on a Cobra CB that was bluetooth enabled so i just went ahead and ordered it. now the question is to see if i will have a use for the bluetooth technology.

Charlie Mike

Since you already ordered it, this might be a moot point, but...
I have the Cobra 29 LTD BT. The CB itself functions great., and I love it. Unfortunately the BT feature is absolutely horrible. When I initially installed the CB, the first thing I tried was the BT feature. Everyone I test called said they could barely hear me. And that was with the Jeep parked and engine off. For good measure I tried it on the highway. Of course it got even worse. All I got were "what?" and "I can't hear you." Never used the BT feature again.
I hope you have better luck than I did.

Top Bottom