New blower option coming

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

These engines are too temperamental. They've got enough power that if you're having issues you probably need to re-gear accordingly. I have a horrible ratio...3.21 and 35's and no issues going too fast anywhere and I can get around the ricers as needed while they think they're going to keep me from doing so. That being said 5.13's will be in my near future.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
These engines are too temperamental. They've got enough power that if you're having issues you probably need to re-gear accordingly. I have a horrible ratio...3.21 and 35's and no issues going too fast anywhere and I can get around the ricers as needed while they think they're going to keep me from doing so. That being said 5.13's will be in my near future.

If you think these rigs have "enough power" your definition of enough is drastically different than mine

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Drive your viper if you want power. It's a fucking jeep for Christ sake.

No one is trying to set land speed records with a wrangler. But Im not so much of a Jeep cheerleader that I've convinced myself Into accepting that gearing and a 285hp 6 banger is fantastic power plant for a near 7000lb rig. It's sad when I climbed into a Chrysler 200 rental rig when I was on business travel and thought it was fast because I drove the jeep all f'n week. One way or another ill have this power issue addressed within the next year. There's plenty of options out there.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I'm no cheerleader, I don't look good in a skirt, that's more Overlander's thing. But, compared to the Jeep I grew up with...my '13 has enough. Would more be nice? Yes, but not willing to lose reliability on the trail for power that isn't needed. I am waiting for a diesel though as that has power that is needed (read: torque).

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No one is trying to set land speed records with a wrangler. But Im not so much of a Jeep cheerleader that I've convinced myself Into accepting that gearing and a 285hp 6 banger is fantastic power plant for a near 7000lb rig. It's sad when I climbed into a Chrysler 200 rental rig when I was on business travel and thought it was fast because I drove the jeep all f'n week. One way or another ill have this power issue addressed within the next year. There's plenty of options out there.

You should try wheeling your rig and then decide if you need power. :thumb:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Drive your viper if you want power. It's a fucking jeep for Christ sake.

Completely disagree - there's a reason why engine swaps are hugely popular on JKs. Does it have enough to get the job done? Of course. But honestly it could really use some more power for both on and off road. A diesel would be sick, and was honestly something I was hoping would have been out by now when I bought my 2nd JK, but the pentastar is definitely an improvement at the least.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Completely disagree - there's a reason why engine swaps are hugely popular on JKs. Does it have enough to get the job done? Of course. But honestly it could really use some more power for both on and off road. A diesel would be sick, and was honestly something I was hoping would have been out by now when I bought my 2nd JK, but the pentastar is definitely an improvement at the least.

I'm not saying a bigger motor wouldn't be good but a blower is not going to delivery power where you need it while on the rocks.

trailless

Caught the Bug
You should try wheeling your rig and then decide if you need power. :thumb:

His rig is more than enough for most people in the Jeep community. But if he has the option and the means then why not upgrade?

If I won the lottery or had the means, you bet my shopping cart on Northridge 4x4 would be 2 times what my Jeep cost... Will I ever "need" it? NO. But it would be damn nice to have. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
His rig is more than enough for most people in the Jeep community. But if he has the option and the means then why not upgrade?

If I won the lottery or had the means, you bet my shopping cart on Northridge 4x4 would be 2 times what my Jeep cost... Will I ever "need" it? NO. But it would be damn nice to have. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I never said his rig wasn't enough. I said he should wheel it first.

Again a blower isn't going to give power where it needs be.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

I really don't "get" this mindset. There is this group here that thinks that you have someone has to use their rig X% this way and Y% that way before the next upgrade is "warranted". Who is making that calibration and setting that standard? What baseline are those standards based off of? Is my Jeep capable enough to get the "job done"? Of course it is. But I want it to get the job done better. There are a ton of people who think that they would never buy a viper, ferrari, or porsche because you can buy a miata, mustang, or camaro to take to the track for less money. Does that mean every guy who buys a higher end sports car and drives it 4x a year is an idiot? I have a few friends with cars that cost more than most houses. These guys might drive their toys once a year but then send those cars to shops to have upgraded for more power and those upgrades make my trip to ORE look like a bargain basement pitstop at Walmart. Ive never had the mindset that those guys were wasting their dough and those upgrades were only justified if they drove their cars every day, rain or shine. Maybe thats not what others would do, but then again everyone is different. But I guess each person is entitied to their own opinion.

The next thing is that the thought that a blower isn't going to give power where it needs to be. That might be true for a lot of centrifugal blowers. But for this style blower, it may add a ton of power down low where it needs to be. Sure another option is a V8 swap. Maybe a Hemi, maybe a LS, but if I choose to do that, I'd have a spare pentastar left over after the swap anyways. My thoughts are, why not try out the blower? If its good enough and if Edelbrock does their R&D, maybe this new kit might have a few less kinks. Its all speculation, but I liked the idea of a mild kit that made good power put out by a big name in the automotive aftermarket. I might not even do it, but its a kit that we haven't seen a dyne chart on yet. Kinda premature to say it sucks.

Hot94Z28

Coming from doing hot rods most of my life to the Jeep side I have never thought you could have too much power. I'm all for someone wanting more out of their rig I think we all like doing more with our rigs. I like having so many options out there for the Jeep community anyone can build what the want the way they want.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I really don't "get" this mindset. There is this group here that thinks that you have someone has to use their rig X% this way and Y% that way before the next upgrade is "warranted". Who is making that calibration and setting that standard? What baseline are those standards based off of? Is my Jeep capable enough to get the "job done"? Of course it is. But I want it to get the job done better. There are a ton of people who think that they would never buy a viper, ferrari, or porsche because you can buy a miata, mustang, or camaro to take to the track for less money. Does that mean every guy who buys a higher end sports car and drives it 4x a year is an idiot? I have a few friends with cars that cost more than most houses. These guys might drive their toys once a year but then send those cars to shops to have upgraded for more power and those upgrades make my trip to ORE look like a bargain basement pitstop at Walmart. Ive never had the mindset that those guys were wasting their dough and those upgrades were only justified if they drove their cars every day, rain or shine. Maybe thats not what others would do, but then again everyone is different. But I guess each person is entitied to their own opinion.

The next thing is that the thought that a blower isn't going to give power where it needs to be. That might be true for a lot of centrifugal blowers. But for this style blower, it may add a ton of power down low where it needs to be. Sure another option is a V8 swap. Maybe a Hemi, maybe a LS, but if I choose to do that, I'd have a spare pentastar left over after the swap anyways. My thoughts are, why not try out the blower? If its good enough and if Edelbrock does their R&D, maybe this new kit might have a few less kinks. Its all speculation, but I liked the idea of a mild kit that made good power put out by a big name in the automotive aftermarket. I might not even do it, but its a kit that we haven't seen a dyne chart on yet. Kinda premature to say it sucks.

I don't have time to read the "look at how much money I have" speech so I'll read it later.

There is no mindset or setting to judge when you can upgrade. I am saying you should use your rig before you say things like it doesn't have enough power.

If you want to drive it all on the street and show off how cool you are then more power to you. If you want to use your rig for what it is built for then you should read and listen to what people say who have witnessed things first hand.

But since I'm sure this supercharger will be the most expensive I'm sure it has to be the best. Clearly that is your way of thinking. Carry on.

jfallon1

But shouldn't the power need to be for the highway? Sure it would be nice on the trail, but I've felt 4L with 35's had plenty of power to get me up obstacles and that's without the rubi transfer case that I believe the OP has.
I would think all the power I could get would be solely for highway driving, not wheeling.
I may not be very hardcore, but I like to take it nice and easy on the rocks. Haha

Top Bottom