Dynatrac vs G2 vs Terflex axles

t8er

I've priced out Dynatrac PR44's but my gut instinct says for what you spend you can get 60's instead and if it's 37's they're just that much beefier but it's straight to 44's after that. I know Northridge is running their JKX jeep on PR44's with 5.13 gears and 40's on slabs but I have a gut feeling plus based on Eddie's advice that's a lot to ask of that axle. so my budget options are G2 and Teraflex which come out to $10250 either way with 60's on e lockers with 5.38 gears or 5.13 gears or do I go with Dynatrac for $16500 which is a PR 60 front and PR 80 rear or 60 full float Rear. I could save about $3k if I just did a semi float PR60 rear. Please give me honest thoughts. This is still somewhat of a daily driver but I do want it to perform off road. Thanks in advance.

t8er

I should add that the money saved by going with Teraflex pays for 40's and slabs. That's what makes this a tough call.

SFNick

Dynatrac American made! I would go Dynatrac get the Trail PR60 for the rear and a PR44/60 hybrid for the front. My secound option if i didn't have Dynatrac to choose from would be Currie RockJocks not Teraflex or the like. :rock:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've priced out Dynatrac PR44's but my gut instinct says for what you spend you can get 60's instead and if it's 37's they're just that much beefier but it's straight to 44's after that. I know Northridge is running their JKX jeep on PR44's with 5.13 gears and 40's on slabs but I have a gut feeling plus based on Eddie's advice that's a lot to ask of that axle. so my budget options are G2 and Teraflex which come out to $10250 either way with 60's on e lockers with 5.38 gears or 5.13 gears or do I go with Dynatrac for $16500 which is a PR 60 front and PR 80 rear or 60 full float Rear. I could save about $3k if I just did a semi float PR60 rear. Please give me honest thoughts. This is still somewhat of a daily driver but I do want it to perform off road. Thanks in advance.

Am I reading right that you're just wanting to run 37's with a stock motor or, are you wanting to run 40's with a v8? If it's the later, yeah, I would recommend a PR80 or at the very least, a full float PR60 in the rear. If not, your gut feeling is wrong and I am here to tell you that there is no need for so much beef. You will be fine running 37's with a PR44 and it is what I run now on my dozer JK. If you're not planning to bomb through the desert, you can even get by with your factory D44. If you do plan on driving hard and fast in the desert, a Trail 60 as mentioned is all you really need. If you can afford more, a PR60 would be better. If you are really looking for my advice, I would NOT consider anything made by TeraFlex.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I went through same thought process many months ago. After seeing both in person I went with the Dynatracs and never looked back. My rig is my daily driver and I wheel it about once a month, it's on 37s. I run PR44 front, Trail 60 with PR60 housing in rear. Never had an issue. my friend has same setup on 37s also. Weve both been competely happy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As eddie said if your doing 37's all you need is a pr44 front and at least your stock rear. If you want to upgrade the rear the the trail60 is all you need.

t8er

Am I reading right that you're just wanting to run 37's with a stock motor or, are you wanting to run 40's with a v8? If it's the later, yeah, I would recommend a PR80 or at the very least, a full float PR60 in the rear. If not, your gut feeling is wrong and I am here to tell you that there is no need for so much beef. You will be fine running 37's with a PR44 and it is what I run now on my dozer JK. If you're not planning to bomb through the desert, you can even get by with your factory D44. If you do plan on driving hard and fast in the desert, a Trail 60 as mentioned is all you really need. If you can afford more, a PR60 would be better. If you are really looking for my advice, I would NOT consider anything made by TeraFlex.

Either way it'll be the stock motor. There's a debate I'm having with going to 40's. One of the local dealers out here that I have a connection with is recommending the Teraflex axles over the dynatracs. Im sure they got a deal on them. I've avoided anything teraflex or smittybuilt so far. As much as I'd like to run 40's it looks like it may make sense to run a PR44 front, stock rear for now on 37's. On the internals I'm thinking stock internals because I can just go to any CJDR dealer to get parts. I'm in CO so bombing thru the desert probably not. I'd rather rock crawl.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Either way it'll be the stock motor. There's a debate I'm having with going to 40's. One of the local dealers out here that I have a connection with is recommending the Teraflex axles over the dynatracs. Im sure they got a deal on them. I've avoided anything teraflex or smittybuilt so far. As much as I'd like to run 40's it looks like it may make sense to run a PR44 front, stock rear for now on 37's. On the internals I'm thinking stock internals because I can just go to any CJDR dealer to get parts. I'm in CO so bombing thru the desert probably not. I'd rather rock crawl.

Okay, so that being the case, you definitely DO NOT need a ProRock 80 as that is way overkill and something you definitely don't need unless you were running a v8. If you're going to run 40's or are at least thinking about it, I would highly recommend running a full-float rear end. Of course, this is something that TeraFlex doesn't even offer. The biggest benefits of sticking with a ProRock 44 is that it's lighter, will have higher ground clearance and will retain a much greater turning radius which is a HUGE bonus in the rocks.

As far as vendors go, I have always found that they will push whatever they have in stock or will make the most profit on.

jman_12

I'd recommend saving your money for a PR44. If your just doing regular trail runs w/o bombing through the desert, that should be plenty of strength for 37s

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I run 37's and won't go bigger due to garage constraints. I like to run hard in the desert and crawl softly through the rocks. I upgraded to the ProRock44 with 513's early on with my 2008 Jeep and kept the stock rear end. It proved to be well worth it. The front and rear was removed from my '08 and installed in my 2013. The rear end finally started to bend just recently and was upgraded to the Trail60.

I got all the info/opinions from people with a lot more knowledge than me that I trust. They have not steered me wrong yet. I have had a blast with this set up and I think it will serve you well too. :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run 37's and won't go bigger due to garage constraints. I like to run hard in the desert and crawl softly through the rocks. I upgraded to the ProRock44 with 513's early on with my 2008 Jeep and kept the stock rear end. It proved to be well worth it. The front and rear was removed from my '08 and installed in my 2013. The rear end finally started to bend just recently and was upgraded to the Trail60.

I got all the info/opinions from people with a lot more knowledge than me that I trust. They have not steered me wrong yet. I have had a blast with this set up and I think it will serve you well too. :twocents:

The rear Trail 60 was the only thing you were really needing for your awesome Jeep and in so many ways, you did things right - you used what you had until you needed to replace it with something better. :yup:

My secound option if i didn't have Dynatrac to choose from would be Currie RockJocks not Teraflex or the like. :rock:

From someone who is running a set of RockJocks, I can tell you that your money would be better spent on the Dynatracs. Sure, RockJocks look cool but they aren't the easiest to work with when it comes to adding other aftermarket parts that weren't designed to be used with them. I had to do a lot of butchering and modifying to the brackets to make my EVO coilover system work with them.

CRZRTX

From someone who is running a set of RockJocks, I can tell you that your money would be better spent on the Dynatracs. Sure, RockJocks look cool but they aren't the easiest to work with when it comes to adding other aftermarket parts that weren't designed to be used with them. I had to do a lot of butchering and modifying to the brackets to make my EVO coilover system work with them.

I was thinking about going with the D60 RockJocks. Are there any disadvantages other than the initial setup? I am not using coil over and it seems like once they are set up they would be great. Feedback?

I was thinking about going with the D60 RockJocks. Are there any disadvantages other than the initial setup? I am not using coil over and it seems like once they are set up they would be great. Feedback?
Although I haven't really had any mechanical issues with mine (yet), other than a rear axle seal, there is a guy from JKX that went thru so many gear sets that he finally yanked the RockJocks out and went with Dynatracs. Now, when I lost the axle seal, I couldn't just stroll into Napa and get a new bearing and seal, they had to be ordered from Currie. Fortunately I keep a spare axle shaft ready to toss in as it was a few weeks before I got the new seal and bearing in the mail.
You may not be thinking of coilovers, but I'm certain you'll think about hydro assist and that isn't an easy task on these axles either, I had to have the brackets custom fabbed for the ram and even now there's some very slight rubbing on my diff cover. The whole endeavor was just too much trouble for me to recommend someone else to take on.

t8er

Going with a PR44 up front and 37's would you recommend hydro assist steering? do you have hydro assist on Rubicat?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Although I haven't really had any mechanical issues with mine (yet), other than a rear axle seal, there is a guy from JKX that went thru so many gear sets that he finally yanked the RockJocks out and went with Dynatracs. Now, when I lost the axle seal, I couldn't just stroll into Napa and get a new bearing and seal, they had to be ordered from Currie. Fortunately I keep a spare axle shaft ready to toss in as it was a few weeks before I got the new seal and bearing in the mail.
You may not be thinking of coilovers, but I'm certain you'll think about hydro assist and that isn't an easy task on these axles either, I had to have the brackets custom fabbed for the ram and even now there's some very slight rubbing on my diff cover. The whole endeavor was just too much trouble for me to recommend someone else to take on.

Yup, that would be randy and yes, he had a lot of breaks to his r&p and shafts. He's now running ProRocks because of it.

t8er

so when I did a toy run this weekend. one of the north ridge guys was running PR44's on his JK on 40's. how did that hold up on the JKX. If I remember correctly it as 40's on Slabs with wheel spacers.

so when I did a toy run this weekend. one of the north ridge guys was running PR44's on his JK on 40's. how did that hold up on the JKX. If I remember correctly it as 40's on Slabs with wheel spacers.

That was Oliver that you saw and he just got my 40's that Jeep wasn't on JKX with 40's . The Jeep we took on JKX this year had 40's and a Pro rock 60 and Pro rock 80.

The Colorado Jeep will be Upgrading I like others would not advise going 40's on a pro rock 44.

David

Top Bottom