Picking Everyone's Brain About Dynatrac 44/60 Hybrid

AndyWentJKU

Good morning everyone, I'll try to keep it as short as possible haha. The end goal for my setup is to be running 37s with 5.13 gears and the more I wheel the more I find myself wanting to creep out west to play on bigger rocks which led to shopping for axle upgrades ( mine are stock, just doing research because I want to do this right ONCE ).

I'm torn between the Dynatrac 60 or the 44 / 60 hybrid with chromoly shafts. I've read plenty regarding the 60, is anyone running the 44 hybrid and can speak to its reliability?

I know this was an old thread but just thought I'd revive the dead to see if anyone has any experience with it under their rigs in the past few years...if you all had to make the purchase would a Prorock 44/60 hybrid with 5.13s, ARB locker, chromoly shafts ( I'm not a fan of working on RCV joints ) running 37s do the trick....or should I just hold out for 60s for another year or so and keep squirreling the money away. This would be my front and rear.

Thanks for taking the time to read can't wait to hear some input!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Some more of the SoCal guys may give you different advice. But if you only plan to run 37s and never go to 40s or want to do high speed desert stuff just the PR44 should do fine. And a trail 60 in the rear. You can upgrade it to the PR housing for like $400. I've never had an issue with this setup and 37s and I like to play in the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Cozdude....sorry wrong name mentioned above...its been a long morning already...Thanks for the link...and I appreciate the input too Gecko.

lol its all good. as gecko said the trail60 will be enough for a rear axle upgrade when needed. you will read all of what we just said echoed in the thread we provided you along with plenty more info

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Unless you have clearance issues at full stuff just run the 60. The price of the hybrid is almost the same as a 60.

AndyWentJKU

Thanks! That is probably the route I am going to go down, the 60 just got into my mind coming across a rig with a bent 44 tube in CO who was busy cussing he just spent 3,000 on his PR44 and wishes he bought the 60. I didn't get to see what led to that though. But definitely feeling better about a PR44 front and trail 60 rear when the time comes for the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run ProRock 44's, ProRock 60's and 44/60 Hybrids on several JK's that I've owned and can tell you this - if all you're planning to do is run 37's, a ProRock 44 is all that you need and what I would get. It'll be plenty strong, be lighter, have more ground clearance and will still offer a much greater turning radius. As piginajeep said, the only real reason to consider the 44/60 is if you're hoping to run 40's with a really low ride stance and where uptravel clearance is important.

AndyWentJKU

I have run ProRock 44's, ProRock 60's and 44/60 Hybrids on several JK's that I've owned and can tell you this - if all you're planning to do is run 37's, a ProRock 44 is all that you need and what I would get. It'll be plenty strong, be lighter, have more ground clearance and will still offer a much greater turning radius. As piginajeep said, the only real reason to consider the 44/60 is if you're hoping to run 40's with a really low ride stance and where uptravel clearance is important.

Thank you! I get my mind made up and then once the ol' brain starts thinking I keep going back and thinking about other options...stupid brain. Thanks everyone for all the input it is MUCH appreciated!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thank you! I get my mind made up and then once the ol' brain starts thinking I keep going back and thinking about other options...stupid brain. Thanks everyone for all the input it is MUCH appreciated!

I debated the same thing and had conversations with Dynatrac. All points back to what Eddie stated.

Always good to discuss before you spend that kinda cash!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
What about the rear axle on a rubicon? With 37s just regear and some better axle shafts and factory locker? Or should a trail 60 be looked at? Or find a non rubicon rear axle and get a 35 spline locker and axle shafts and regear? Im not doing this anytime soon but it is in my radar.

TheDuff

What about the rear axle on a rubicon? With 37s just regear and some better axle shafts and factory locker? Or should a trail 60 be looked at? Or find a non rubicon rear axle and get a 35 spline locker and axle shafts and regear? Im not doing this anytime soon but it is in my radar.

Run your factory rear till you have an issue, save up some coin for a trail 60 for when the stock 44 dies

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

I went through same thought process. Plenty of people run 37s on the factory rear. I planned to keep my factory rubicon rear until it broke. But when I posted up my stock Rubicon front axle for sale I had a guy that wanted both front and rear so he didn't need to regear or get a locker for his stock rear etc. That made the decision for me and I stepped up to a trail 60. So there are lots of ways to go about it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, I would just play with what you got until it breaks or you can afford to upgrade to something like a Trail 60. I've tried going the non-rubicon rear axle route and in the end, it was a waste of money.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, I would just play with what you got until it breaks or you can afford to upgrade to something like a Trail 60. I've tried going the non-rubicon rear axle route and in the end, it was a waste of money.

Just now seeing your reply, the WOL app is messed up on my phone. Though I think it is an issue with the phone not the app. Thanks for the input. I plan to go to 37s sometime soon (year or two maybe) and will look into a pr44 for the front, leave the rear alone other than gears and maybe some axle shafts if/when I break one or bend a flange. The overall "plan" is to v8 the jeep with a 6.0 or 6.2 and maybe stay on 37s but maybe go taller so I am also thinking of doing a pr60/pr80 combo instead when something happens to the factory front 44. While the 60/80 combo would be way overkill for 37s it would pretty much mean it shouldn't break really. Not saying it cant break, after all the Titanic was unsinkable. Just some ideas/preparations for future endeavors. The 60/80 combo would probably be more in the 8-10 year plan so I will most likely go ahead and get a pr44 for the front.

Jackal01

Just now seeing your reply, the WOL app is messed up on my phone. Though I think it is an issue with the phone not the app. Thanks for the input. I plan to go to 37s sometime soon (year or two maybe) and will look into a pr44 for the front, leave the rear alone other than gears and maybe some axle shafts if/when I break one or bend a flange. The overall "plan" is to v8 the jeep with a 6.0 or 6.2 and maybe stay on 37s but maybe go taller so I am also thinking of doing a pr60/pr80 combo instead when something happens to the factory front 44. While the 60/80 combo would be way overkill for 37s it would pretty much mean it shouldn't break really. Not saying it cant break, after all the Titanic was unsinkable. Just some ideas/preparations for future endeavors. The 60/80 combo would probably be more in the 8-10 year plan so I will most likely go ahead and get a pr44 for the front.

What about PR60/PR60 with 37s as the largest tire with a V8? Would an 80 be needed? I have seen a few 60/80 combos with V8 but the tires were also 40s+. I don't want or plan to go over 37 but I do plan on a V8 way down the road.

I am just curious why it seems most JKs have the 60/80 combo with V8s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about PR60/PR60 with 37s as the largest tire with a V8? Would an 80 be needed? I have seen a few 60/80 combos with V8 but the tires were also 40s+. I don't want or plan to go over 37 but I do plan on a V8 way down the road.

I am just curious why it seems most JKs have the 60/80 combo with V8s.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a ProRock 60 front and full-float 60 rear running 37's and a v8. Heck, so long as the rear is a full float and 8-lug, I would even do it with 40's. There are a few reasons to go ProRock 80 and one of the biggest is that it's low pinion design and that will have you running on the strong side of your ring gear. Also, it really isn't that much more than a full float ProRock 60.

Top Bottom